• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins software, programming, changing fueling parameters.........seeking guidance and tutelage

Monkeywithawrench

I would like to learn more regarding programming, changing parameters on ECM's and the like. I'm adept at reading INSITE, CATET, etc but want to learn more. And getting into installing INSITE and other software on my laptops seems to be a whole different ball of wax regarding changing this setting, that setting, and the other setting to make them work.

One step at a time.

I figure I'll start with my own trucks first. I have a Freightliner M2 with a pickup motor in it (cummins 6.7) and a Peterbilt 337 with a PX-9 (which is a Cummins ISL 8.9L).
What is the difference between INCAL and CALTERM?? I'm confused there. On some descriptions it sound like INCAL and CALTERM can take the place of INSITE, but I don't think that's the case. Right now my PX9 is set at 300hp from the factory.

I think I'd like to bump that up to 350 or 400hp plus get some practice on tuning/changing parameters.
-How do you know how much you can bump up a specific engine configuration before you need to change components?? Not looking to change the HP to 800HP (or some crazy number like that) and have to get into changing injectors, pumps, pistons, etc. I'm also thinking down the road if a customer asks me to bump up an engine, I can do it safely. The Peterbilt is my main truck and I want longevity and reliability on it.
So the Pete has some weight on it. 3 product tanks (engine oil 60G, hydrualic 60G, waste oil 110g, 10k crane, welder, plus all the iron to fix ****......you know).

Also..........fyi.........just bought a new laptop with 2TB solid state drive running Windows 10. My old laptop has the 2TB SSD but is running windows 7. I have NO ROOM left on my old laptop. 2TB of software and info. Seems the new software (like INSITE) is set up for Windows 10. Seems lots of software (like the INSITE 8+) can only run on windows 10 now.

So that's where I'm at. I want to learn how this stuff works, what it does, what hardware will work with what software, and how to tell the difference. I'm 54 and readily admit I don't know it all..............although I'd like to.
So hopefully someone out there with much more experience and understanding of this stuff will take the time to tutor and educate me.
We're all born into the world knowing the same thing, its up to us to learn.

Thank you!!