• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cummins smoking!!

muski

hello gentelman and also any ladies out there.my name is rich and found this forum because i am stumped.i have been a mechanic for a rental equipment store for 32 years and am finally stuck.we have a cummins b3.3 turbo around a 2013 model that is powering a vermeer 10 inch wood chipper.problem is when the engine is at full throttle white smoke pours out like its something from a james bond movie!! this wouldnt be too much of a problem except that if rpms drop the feed roller stops which is what is happening. so the feed roller starts then stops starts and stops.now i know white smoke indicates water in fuel which i know there is not.drained tank filled fresh fuel new fuel filter.drained fuel filter just to check and not one drop of water came out.engine coolant has never gone down and engine oil level never has dropped either.so i guess my question would be what would make a diesel engine pour out white smoke besides water in fuel. now this smoking only happens at wide open throttle,when it is idled down it doesnt smoke at all. only at wide open. any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks muski!!!!!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
How many hour do you have on the unit?

Possible issues might include bad injector, bad fuel pump, injection timing. You might check the air filter for plugging. I'm sure there will be more ideas coming.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Injector nozzle sticking allowing overfueling. How does the engine oil smell? How about air intrusion, are you sucking air into your fuel system. Are your fuel filters remaining full?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Have you TRIED loosening each injector 1 @ a x to see if you can narrow it down to 1 cylinder??
It may be a lift pump problem or an overflow valve problem??{weak}

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So looking back a 2013 model would be tier 3 and that would mean you probably have cooled EGR I would start looking there you may have a crack EGR cooler allowing coolant into your intake stream or you may have unwanted EGR. Are you losing coolant. Do you have any errors indicating high intake air temperature

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
also perhaps you could help with a little clarification do you have traditional pump line and nozzle fuel system or do you have common rail. Do you know if this is a tr3 engine what is the complete engine model number for example is it qsb isb or just plain BT ?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The B3.3 is a Japanese engine, been told it has something to do with a Komatsu, looks sort of like an Isuzu and the ones I have seen use PLN with a Stanadyne pump but I would like to know too what he has.

heymccall

If you aren't losing coolant, then white smoke is unburnt fuel. Water in fuel will not easily pass thru the injectors, resulting in an obvious miss and poor performance, but, not white smoke.

First thing that comes to mind, because my coworkers are "special", is, is the high engine speed correct? A deere 3014 will run happily at 3800rpm, but the radiator capacity, and the belt driven compressor on my Godwin pump certainly don't like it. IIRC, a 3014 on a cd100m Godwin likes 2100 rpm.

Verify that wide open isnt too far open.

muski

So looking back a 2013 model would be tier 3 and that would mean you probably have cooled EGR I would start looking there you may have a crack EGR cooler allowing coolant into your intake stream or you may have unwanted EGR. Are you losing coolant. Do you have any errors indicating high intake air temperature
thanks for reply.no the engine coolant never drops at all.i will check it anyway

muski

If you aren't losing coolant, then white smoke is unburnt fuel. Water in fuel will not easily pass thru the injectors, resulting in an obvious miss and poor performance, but, not white smoke.

First thing that comes to mind, because my coworkers are "special", is, is the high engine speed correct? A deere 3014 will run happily at 3800rpm, but the radiator capacity, and the belt driven compressor on my Godwin pump certainly don't like it. IIRC, a 3014 on a cd100m Godwin likes 2100 rpm.

Verify that wide open isnt too far open.
well i havent checked rpm but i know the rpms are right on the line of being what its should be to keep feed roller turning.the feed roller wont turn unless rpms are at full throttle and what its doing now is turning then stopping,turning and stopping.thx for reply

muski

How many hour do you have on the unit?

Possible issues might include bad injector, bad fuel pump, injection timing. You might check the air filter for plugging. I'm sure there will be more ideas coming.
air filter is good will check injectors and if fuel pump is bad how would that make it smoke?? ive been mostly a gas engine guy not too much exp. with diesels

heymccall

Screenshot_20180815-102338_Chrome.jpg And nowhere do I see how many hours on the engine, and whether there are any other anomalies, such as hard starting, hot or cold.

I did find this

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have seen that type of behavior before on a 5.9 in an excavator. This machine had an inline pump that I believe had Denso on the tag. It drove us crazy for a bit. All the operators called it the mosquito killer for a long time. I had pulled the head looking for a broken ring or something but all was clean. Tried a variety of items as well. I finally pulled the injection pump and sent it in to Seattle Injector. They told me that each pump plunger had some kind of timing device and one unit was bad. They fixed the pump and sent it back and all worked well. Maybe Pump Guy could provide more info on this?

Delmer

It makes a bit of difference WHAT KIND of injection pump it has on it. A picture or a model number is all it takes. This could be a Cummins or a JD, it makes no difference, all that matters is the injection pump, most likely.

Edit: anything that causes one cylinder not to fully combust the fuel will make this white smoke, like a leaky common rail injector, or bad timing on an old injector, or no compression on that cylinder, or a terrible spray pattern, air in the fuel...

Last edited:

muski

hey guys sorry havent been back in a bit.im the only mechanic here in a rental shop so dealing with every kind of machine you can think of. anyway update installed 4 new injectors and still doing same thing. the engine has 696 hrs run time on it.as far as what kind of injection pump it is ??????? only thing i can find on it is a -z- symbol and a sticker with these numbers-6273-71-1140 then under that set is 104747-7110.hate to do it but might have to bring to cummins dealer and get bent over !!!!!! thanks for all your help guys

muski

you are prob right with the -z- symbol embossed on the side. weird thing is this engine has been to dealer would say 2 yrs ago and had the pump replaced but whose to say it went bad already.this could be my whole problem. thanks birken!!!

muski

hello everyone!! i know its been a while and thats because we took chipper to a diesel engine shop not a cummins dealer.well they went through it,tested injectors they are fine.they were brand new but they checked them anyway. came to conclusion it was the fuel pump. now this would be the 2nd fuel pump its had replaced. got chipper back went out on its 1st job,ran great no problems for about 2 hrs. then started smoking at full throttle again and feed roller stopped turning. just went out to it( been a few days) started right up.once its up to temp. and i accelerate to full throttle it only takes about 5 seconds and starts smoking bad again.so basically doing same thing it did before we took to shop.to refresh the smoke color is more white than blue and doesnt smell like burning oil. we def. are at the end of rope with this machine. only has 600 hrs on it. thx for everyones input !!!!

Wes J

I don't know how that pump works, but it acts like the fly weights are sticking or whatever controls the timing advance. White smoke is unburned fuel.

I had a CAV pump and a few Roosimaster pumps have issues with the fly weights that can cause missing and smoking.