• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins NTC 350 Help

Truck Shop

Standard injector for small cam, What you called brass are actually called coppers and seal out the coolant jacket. There is a special cone shaped brush for cleaning the coppers.

But I'm going to step back and let others finish this thread. Good luck.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Standard injector for small cam, What you called brass are actually called coppers and seal out the coolant jacket. There is a special cone shaped brush for cleaning the coppers.

But I'm going to step back and let others finish this thread. Good luck.

Better stay....you’re the resident expert sir.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yep just plain old PT injectors none of that new fangled top-stop stuff! Am I showing my age here or what?

To be totally honest spent many years working on small cam and other Cummins engines but only ever touched one that had top stops! Company got away from doing our own engine work and also leaned much heavier towards Kittiy Cat for most off-road equipment right around the time Cummins came out with the top stops.

Also we used the dial indicator method for setting injectors, seemed to have better luck than the torque method.

One point on those push tubes. If you find them full of oil, would expect more than a couple, be careful what you do with the junk ones. At a Cummins factory class I went to many moons ago was told that a guy had decided that tubing would be handy for some homemade tool. Not sure if he used a chop saw or cutting torch but which ever when he was cutting off one end the oil inside flashed and he got burned real bad.

So if you decide to cut one use a hand powered hack saw for the first cut then wash out!

Truck Shop

Better stay....you’re the resident expert sir.

Thanks Junkyard-But it looks like I'm going to be free spooling some cable here soon, just waiting on the phone to ring with{You ready -trucks 434 and 438 stuck at Walmart Hermiston
but first stop at the last exit west bound off ramp in Pendleton truck 460 is in trouble on curve}. It's that time and snowing hard, so if he has a question you guys answer it.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I still have all the complicated timing tools for those engines. I can’t even remember the last time I even got them out!
What was always fun was if you had to replace cams or timing gears in a 1710. Used the same tools with the exception that you had to do it twice and if it was off you had to figure out how much it was off and which direction then pull cam and press off the gear(s) and remove the original cam key and then determine which way the new offset key had to face. Then heat the gear up and reinstall it and hope you got it right the first time. Then repeat on the other bank!

At least the KT1150/19 engines we had only had one cam. Never worked on a V engine KT.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Always had the old welding mitts in the box for a gear install, even then was a race to get it on before cooled too far or burnt the crap out of my hands, Three Guys!!!! One held cam, I grabbed gear, other swung Dead Blow onto Wood block or a PAR-X socket to set the gear.

Wrecker work is NEVER Done, sucks to be you tonight in the slick with the idjits.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Thanks Junkyard-But it looks like I'm going to be free spooling some cable here soon, just waiting on the phone to ring with{You ready -trucks 434 and 438 stuck at Walmart Hermiston
but first stop at the last exit west bound off ramp in Pendleton truck 460 is in trouble on curve}. It's that time and snowing hard, so if he has a question you guys answer it.

Holy buckets. Busy man! Be safe.

BrianS11388

Ok everyone, first and foremost thanks for all the helpful tips and knowledge. Its greatly appreciated and needed. I'll get the brush to clean the coppers. I pulled the head off #1 and #2. Found lots of coolant ontop of piston #2. I ordered Injectors today as well as push tubes. What could be causing the coolant on the pistons? I'm assuming there may be more than one with this issue..