1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins ISM engines, good**bad**or just OK

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by Dig_Texas, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Dig_Texas

Dig_Texas Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy another haul truck, a Peterbilt with the Cummins ISM mated to a 10-speed. The truck weighs about 17,000 and I'll be pulling about 45,000 at the most. Does anyone have any feedback about the ISM. My truck now has the N14 set up for 460HP which is a powerhouse although I have had some problems with the ECM and a lot of oil leaks.

The ISM data plate suggests 370HP and pulls good with just an empty trailer. I don't have many hills and only travel within a 100 mi. radius so I don't think I need more HP. The engine has not been steam cleaned to hide any sins and there are no oil leaks at the moment. The current mileage on the truck is south of 400K and it was used as a road tractor.

Since the main use will be a haul truck for equipment, I won't be putting on over 10,000 miles per year so I think it should last a while. Are there any issues that I should look for before making my final offer?

Thanks in advance.

2. Deere500a

Deere500a Well-Known Member

Running a 4axle 09' dump with the ISM pulls great but starting it,it takes 20+sec to start,with the EPF fuel mileage ranges from high 4's to high 7's per day. Throttle will cut out motor falls to idle stop engine light 10sec latter everything comes back no codes,days will go by no problem then every turn act up. Short period drove a 03' Shaker with the ISM it was good all around 7+/8.5mpg loaded/empty.good luck

3. FWD

FWD Well-Known Member

I had a 2000 International 9900 with an ISM 425 which I ordered new and drove it until 2007 when it had a little under 300,000 miles. It was a Logging truck with a self-loader so it had some time more than 300,000 highway miles. Usually hauled 80,000 lb or more loads. In the winter 90,000 or more (which is legal here). Over 90,000 it struggled. Over the time I had it, had a couple of oil leaks which were easily fixed, no electronic troubles at all. Ran Oil samples the whole time and they tested good until I sold it. (Got out of the business). I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed one.
    FWD