• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BHunting

Hello, I just recently rebuilt a Cummins 6.7L isb (EPA 10) engine out of frame. I want to start it on the ground before installing it into frame.

I know I will need batteries, fuel, coolant set up etc… Where I have trouble is the wiring.

What wiring do I need to have installed/rigged up to run the engine. Also, I would like to hook up Cummins insite to monitor the oil pressure etc when it runs - any insite is helpful. Thanks!

Old Doug

I have started alot of engines on the ground but they didnt need any electronic stuff . Why do you want to do this anyway? The reason we did it because we didnt know any thing about the engine.

BHunting

Testing purposes. I know I will need to wire power, ground, ignition etc into the chassis connector on the ecm. As well as a remote start button hooked up. I’m just not sure what else is required.

Do I need throttle etc? What wires were required for you to hook up a laptop to monitor?

Thanks.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Personally, i don't like running engines unloaded, especially after an overhaul. I like to fire and run up to oil pressure then as much load as i can muster. Load 10 seconds and cool 15. On n off.

You will need ignition feed, throttle position and idle validation. You should be able to backbone into the harness at the ECU connector. There should be a 3 wire connector with 2 wires going in . That's the plug for the terminating resistor. You should be good there if it doesn't have an ALDL or datalink plug.