1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cummins 8.3 to M11

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by 72hayes, Oct 31, 2018.

1. 72hayes

72hayes Well-Known Member

road builder
    I have a T300 Kenworth with a 8.3 Cummins and was wondering about repowering with a M11.
    It has an Allison trany.
    Has anyone done this?

2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Talking two completely Different engine breeds, different design criteria and different dimensions. The 8.3 is around 1700 lbs. the M11 near to a full ton, physically the M11 is longer wider and taller. Then there is the base difference, you will not achieve the vehicle speed from the 8.3 at 2500rpm going to a M11 at 1800-2000. One is a heavy ton truck typical where the other is used from 2 1/2 to 5 ton trucks and light day cab tractor trailer machines. The Allison may not be compatible with the M11 for shift points and mounting. Will also be cooling system requirements changes.

56wrench and funwithfuel like this.
  3. Wes J

Wes J Senior Member

I would think the best place to start would be determining if the M11 was ever offered in a T300. If it was, it can physically be done. Surely money ahead to just buy one ready to go.

I've driven several tandem dumps with the 8.3. It's a zippy engine when empty. Not enough torque to run loaded on any kind of grade. I once stalled one on a steep hill totally empty. Couldn't down shift fast enough...

4. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

do not think m-11 was available in a t-300