1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

CTL Trencher Attachment

Discussion in 'Construction Equipment Attachments' started by Jeffrey Bandel, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Jeffrey Bandel

Jeffrey Bandel Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of tiny springs coming out of my mountains. I want to install a french drain system. There is an abundant amount of trenchers on the marker. Any that are really good or ones I should avoid?

2. Tags

Tags Senior Member

I don’t have one and I’ve never used one, just because the ground is so rocky here in the Northeast where I am. I think their success really depends a lot on ground conditions. If you don’t have a lot of rock there it should work well. I do a lot of propane tanks and lines and would love to use one for doing the lines, interested in seeing some responses from end users.

3. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I've got a Bobcat trencher I bought mid-2000's that's probably trenched a couple of miles over it's lifetime. It's been used but sporadically over the last 15 years.

Last year we replaced the teeth for the first time - not Bobcat brand as they wanted a fortune, found them online for a 1/3 of the price Bobcat wanted. The first major issue not a wear item was the seal around the output shaft failed a couple of weeks ago. My guys have the parts but haven't had time to repair it yet.

Our soil conditions vary widely from rocky chert to sandy silts. A trencher works great depending on the ground conditions on a CTL IMOP.

4. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

I've got one that my brother bought used in the early 80's. No idea what brand, he did miles of trenching with it. I got it when he passed and have done miles with it also. It's been almost completely rebuilt with new shaft and drive motor, new chain and I'm on the third set of teeth. They don't like rocky soil no matter what teeth they have. Really handy for water lines and electric. Bottom line, If I were you I'd rent one to see if you liked before buying.

Tags likes this.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 Well-Known Member

Do you happen to know where you got the cutter teeth at? I have a Bobcat 313 trencher for my skid that's needing a sprocket and chain and the Bobcat dealer is far from helpful and $$$.

6. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

Most of the chains are the same from different brands. I went to ditch witch for my teeth. My sprocket was a two piece deal and I wanted more speed so I had a water jet guy cut a new sprocket with one extra tooth. Ditch witch had the factory sprocket for my old trencher also.

Mark13 likes this.
  7. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Believe it or not...Amazon. :rolleyes:

I just matched the bolt pattern of the tooth and the number of teeth. They've done great for the price.

Mark13 likes this.
  8. Mark13

Mark13 Well-Known Member

That's not the answer I was expecting lol.

CM1995 likes this.
  9. Canuck Digger

Canuck Digger Well-Known Member

Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
    What type of equipment do you have currently available for use? We do a lot of drainage systems. As someone already mentioned lots of rock up our way. An excavator with a trenching bucket does really well with all types of drainage.

Tags likes this.