1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

ctl track replacement

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by gfd917, Aug 9, 2016.

1. gfd917

gfd917 Member

I have a 2011 Cat 259b3 with 16inch tracks my dealer is trying to convince me to go to the 12 inch tracks opinions appreciated pros and cons of each please. Thanks in advance

2. gfd917

gfd917 Member

I cant believe 104 views and no one has advise!??

3. Wytruckwrench

Wytruckwrench Senior Member

I don't have any bright ideas one way or the other.
    I guess it comes down to ground pressure and price.
    Can you live with more ground pressure?
    Do you need more ground pressure?
    What's the price difference ?
    What do you do with the machine?

4. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

If you rarely work on surfaces soft enough that the narrower tracks will either make too much disturbance or actually get stuck then try the narrow tracks, they're easier on the drive train when turning and cheaper to boot.

If you work on soft ground often or areas that need a light footprint to minimize damage then the wider tracks will work better for you and may last a bit longer since they carry more rubber to wear out.

I have heard of guys that have both and swap them regularly depending on the ground conditions, YMMV

My comments are generic in nature about rubber tracks, I am not a CTL guy nor have I ever played one on TV, but I have been messing with rubber tracks for over a decade now.

5. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Sounds like they have a set of 12's that nobody wants, LOL. Don is spot on, though. If you play in the mud a lot, stay with 16's.

6. pafarmer

pafarmer Senior Member

Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
    What he said X2 ?

7. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    What are your operating conditions? What do you regularly use the machine for? We can't give advice without knowing what you do with the machine.

8. movindirt

movindirt Senior Member

x4 ..... what are you doing with the machine?

9. gfd917

gfd917 Member

general farm use and brush clearing and alittle grading and driveway prep work I heard the dealer bought a whole truckload of 12inch they are buy one getone 50% off

10. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Like has already been said a 16" track will allow you to go through soft underfoot conditions and muddy areas better, a narrow track tears up less, has less stress on drivetrain but will not give you the lesser ground pressure for wet areas.

Looks like it's more a financial decision - Buy two 12" tracks for 75% of the cost of two or pay regular price for 2 16" tracks. Assuming the tracks are running $1200 a piece, the decision is - are the wider tracks worth the extra $600 for what you'll be doing with the machine?

11. gfd917

gfd917 Member

will I lose any lifting capacity with narrow tracks since the will more than likely be liter weight??

12. movindirt

movindirt Senior Member

I doubt you'll loose much, half the track is front of the tipping point all the time anyway. Do you have single front and rear idlers?

13. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Oddly enough I just quoted a set of 380mm (15") for a 259B3, they were less than a grand apiece plus freight outta Dallas.

The 320mm are a couple hundred less per each.

Block tread.

Just FYI not trolling, don't know what the dealers are selling them for?

14. gfd917

gfd917 Member

I have double flange front and single rear