• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ctl torsion axle spacers ?

Catguy17

With the track frame pushed back there is still a lot of space the track don’t come close to rubbing the machine body IMG_7370.jpeg

Tree Mulcher

Ok I am going to offer some knowledge here that may come with some Cat bashing as Cat may have sabotaged you here. The design of those axle assemblies comes from ASV. The wear you are seeing is normal and varies based on the application. This wear if not addressed can allow the tracks/track frames to toe in or out causing $$$$$ to leave at a rapid pace.

The caps on the end will wear and can be turned for a fresh wear surface. The bolts that come loose are problematic. The loosening issue can be remedied by making sure male and female threads are clean especially of grease (Rifle cleaning brush, break cleaner and air). Use lock tight when assembling. This not only prevents movement but also to seal the threads and keep grease from working in.

I suspect grease is forced into the threads of the bolts holding the cap by the track frame sliding on the axle from the type of wear you have found. This causes or contributes to the bolts working out. Meticulous thread cleaning and lock tight stopped this problem for good on my machines.

Measure the axles and you may be able to find a corresponding model of ASV machine. If so order spacers from ASV to tighten up the wear. Your machine likely corresponds to an PT85g or the PT100/110/120/135g Models. Cat has used a different and usually smaller axle diameter then ASV in many applications. Why I will never understand.

Cat does not offer the spacers. ASV will offer them in two different styles for the given undercarriage. One style has a rounded profile that will fit in the worn area of the rear axle. The below pic shows spacers that fit my 297d XHP which has an ASV undercarriage to start with.

These spacers are not available from Cat. I find this rather disgraceful that these parts are not in the parts books, neither is the procedure to measure and address this wear. Addressing this wear will help to keep some grease in and dirt out.

Measure the diameter of the axles and post. I may be able to compare this to my machines and get you part numbers that may work for you. No guarantees.

Fitting these spacers may require removing and reinstalling the track frame multiple times to find a combination of spacers that addresses the wear and keeps the tracks in alignment. Yes I just said the word alignment. It is important that you try to keep the tracks aligned to the main machine frame. Measure the distance from the track frame to the machine mainframe at the front and rear of track frame to gauge the alignment.

The last one I did worked out well with only spacers on the machine side of the axles. I rotated the axle caps on the outside. Rear axles had a single spacer. Front axle had three spacers. You will have to find what works for your machine.

Hopefully this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20240118_222244[1].jpg
    IMG_20240118_222244[1].jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tree Mulcher

I stand corrected. Spacers may be available for your machine. On my 297 machines spacers were not available or listed in the cat books but were in ASV books.

Tree Mulcher

On your machine the front and rear axles may be the same diameter unlike the ASV. There may only be one spacer available. I seem to remember a few times I wish I had the machine tools to make custom size spacesr for a better fit.

heymccall

Just help me understand.
The 277, 287, and 297 vs the 279, 289, and 299.... if it ends in 7, it has a completely different undercarriage than if the model number ends in 9?

And, only those that end in 9 are the ASV derived undercarriage?

Catguy17

my machine is a 289c2 which has the ctl undercarriage “solid steel dozer style” I believe you are talking about the cat/asv MTL undercarriage I ended up machining 4 spacers on the lathe the machine runs so much better now and absolutely no more side to side play! There has been no binding or issues at all with the new spacers

Catguy17

Just help me understand.
The 277, 287, and 297 vs the 279, 289, and 299.... if it ends in 7, it has a completely different undercarriage than if the model number ends in 9?

I believe all the #9s have the steel dozer style undercarriage and all the #7s are asv MTL style

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Just help me understand.

The 7's are ASV style UC and 9's are the dozer style UC.

We have 2 -279D's. Spacers are available.

279D snapshot UC.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We have 2 -279D's. Spacers are available.
Ths issue as I see it is that there is only an 8mm thick spacer listed in the Parts Manual.

So if there is anything less than 8mm of lateral movement on a particular axle an additional spacer won't fit. That was the position in which the OP found himself.
If there were additional spacers available of say 11 or 14mm thick it would be a good option to take up small amounts of lateral movement rather than having to make a custom thickness of spacer as the OP has done.

Tree Mulcher

Just help me understand.

Correct. However the torsion axle design on the machines ending in 9 is an ASV derived component that may be interchangable in some applications

Tree Mulcher

I stand corrected. Spacers may be available for your machine. On my 297 machines spacers were not available or listed in the cat books but were in ASV books.
Upon researching this further. Spacers are available for both 7 and 9 series machines through cat. My opinion on the availability was formed in the early days of the D series machines. I went back and reviewed some old parts manuals. The old manuals did not show spacers. At the time I sourced them through ASV for both 7 and 9 series machines. Some time since then it appears that cat has started selling the spacer for both types of undercarriages. I ran an older serial number on the electronic parts look up and it showed the spacers available.

Catguy17

Upon researching this further. Spacers are available for both 7 and 9 series machines through cat. My opinion on the availability was formed in the early days of the D series machines. I went back and reviewed some old parts manuals. The old manuals did not show spacers. At the time I sourced them through ASV for both 7 and 9 series machines. Some time since then it appears that cat has started selling the spacer for both types of undercarriages. I ran an older serial number on the electronic parts look up and it showed the spacers available.
My cat dealer can get me spacers the problem we were having is they only come in a 8mm thick version that is to be installed behind the track frames “normally #2 or #4 in the diagram” I already had these spacers on my machine I would have just bought 4 more but I only had a 6-7mm gap so if I added another 8mm spacer I worried there would be to much pressure when the track frames moved for the suspension I just machined up 4 spacers at 6.5 and the gap is basically gone and I still have space for the frames to move free on the axles

Tree Mulcher

My cat dealer can get me spacers the problem we were having is they only come in a 8mm thick version that is to be installed behind the track frames “normally #2 or #4 in the diagram” I already had these spacers on my machine I would have just bought 4 more but I only had a 6-7mm gap so if I added another 8mm spacer I worried there would be to much pressure when the track frames moved for the suspension I just machined up 4 spacers at 6.5 and the gap is basically gone and I still have space for the frames to move free on the axles
I agree. You likely have the best quality repair to address the wear. I believe your repair will help reduce wear.

I personally would like to see a variety of sizes available through the dealers.

Did your alignment stay true? Most of the time I have found I needed different size spacers for front versus rear axles. This may vary with the application the machine is used in?

Maybe I just found an excuse to acquire a lathe.

Catguy17

I agree. You likely have the best quality repair to address the wear. I believe your repair will help reduce wear.

I personally would like to see a variety of sizes available through the dealers.

Did your alignment stay true? Most of the time I have found I needed different size spacers for front versus rear axles. This may vary with the application the machine is used in?

Maybe I just found an excuse to acquire a lathe.
Alignment seems grate track frames are straight and no strange toe in or out machine is tracking perfect aswell