• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CTL hydraulic cylinder sound

furu

Since there is not a hydraulic sub-forum will just post here,
My CTL (ASV/Terex PT-110) has developed a loud ticking sound after shutdown that seems to originate in or near the left curl cylinder. There is also a very slight reverberation in the arm frame that goes with the sound. I describe it as a loud tick but it is very rhythmic and continues for some time after I shut down the engine. Noticed it today when I shutdown twice while mulching (all the unit is used for). Any idea what might be causing it. I was wondering if there is some bypass in the cylinder that is causing it after the hydraulic pressure is lost when the pump/engine is shutdown. With it being electric over hydraulic there is no way to bleed the cylinder pressure by running the control without the engine running. If there is something that I can do before I have a cylinder breakdown i want to know about it. I will see if it occurs tomorrow again.

RobX

I have the same machine in Vermeer livery, and have heard the same noise. It's due to some leak in hydraulic system; the shuddering is the arm dropping a little bit and then stopping. I had hoped the leak was in the control circuit (annoying but mostly harmless) but later I ended up having big leaks in the hoses. So retrospectively I view the ticking noise (along with the dropping of the arm and push-bar overnight) as a warning sign of some hose at end-of-life.