• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CT322 final drive seals

Chewie2105

Hi just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the seals leaking on the final drive on a JD ct322, our unit here is dripping gear oil, and looking on john deeres parts breakdown and manual I can seem to find any info on changing that seal, looks like I would have to go with a complete unit which isn't preferable. just wondering if anyone had done this, almost looks like may be able to pull the final drive off without pulling the motor but cant tell for sure

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I think that you have nothing to lose if you strip it down. Other brands I have seen have a duo-cone seal in there which can be purchased off the shelf. You might should check the bearings as well. if they are worn they could be the cause of the seal failure.

BigWrench55

You can tear down the drive unit yourself and have the seals matched at your local hydraulic shop or seal supply store. Hydraulic drive motors are fairly simple built. The key is to get everything clean,clean, clean before disassembling. Also make your own timing Mark's on the housings to make reassembly easier. If you are only leaking gear oil then you have a failed duo cone seal. You can look for duo cone seals from cat on the internet they have a pdf files of all the specs of your seal and housing. And then it will give you a part number for the size of seal you need. Most service manuals don't give a break down of these components. There should be a tag identifying what you have. More than likely you have a rexroth motor. I hope this will help and good luck to you. No need to buy a 5k part when you need to only spend $50.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Some drive hub's have a tag on the motor which could be manufactured by others. That is a good starting point.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Unfortunately Deere does not sell the Duo Cone seals for that (why? I don't know). You will have to source them aftermarket. See leak diagnostic flow chart attached.

Attachments

• CT322 Motor Leakage Diag flow chart.pdf
    6.7 KB · Views: 21

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
Probably gonna be the same story, but I just replaced a final drive and motor assembly on a CT332. Had a leak so I ordered a seal kit. When the kit showed up I disassembled the final only to find the guts were damaged. No parts available for it other than seals. Had to replace the whole unit.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic

Chewie2105

Probably gonna be the same story, but I just replaced a final drive and motor assembly on a CT332. Had a leak so I ordered a seal kit. When the kit showed up I disassembled the final only to find the guts were damaged. No parts available for it other than seals. Had to replace the whole unit.

did you manage toi get the gearbox split, I am having a hell of the time splitting it to get to the duo cone seals, have the 2 lock dowels out but can only get a 1/4" turn either direction before binds up