1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CT322 final drive seals

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by Chewie2105, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Chewie2105

Chewie2105 Member

Hi just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the seals leaking on the final drive on a JD ct322, our unit here is dripping gear oil, and looking on john deeres parts breakdown and manual I can seem to find any info on changing that seal, looks like I would have to go with a complete unit which isn't preferable. just wondering if anyone had done this, almost looks like may be able to pull the final drive off without pulling the motor but cant tell for sure

2. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    I think that you have nothing to lose if you strip it down. Other brands I have seen have a duo-cone seal in there which can be purchased off the shelf. You might should check the bearings as well. if they are worn they could be the cause of the seal failure.

3. Paul Council

Paul Council Well-Known Member

You can tear down the drive unit yourself and have the seals matched at your local hydraulic shop or seal supply store. Hydraulic drive motors are fairly simple built. The key is to get everything clean,clean, clean before disassembling. Also make your own timing Mark's on the housings to make reassembly easier. If you are only leaking gear oil then you have a failed duo cone seal. You can look for duo cone seals from cat on the internet they have a pdf files of all the specs of your seal and housing. And then it will give you a part number for the size of seal you need. Most service manuals don't give a break down of these components. There should be a tag identifying what you have. More than likely you have a rexroth motor. I hope this will help and good luck to you. No need to buy a 5k part when you need to only spend $50.

4. Chewie2105

Chewie2105 Member

that was the thought but figured worth seeing if anyone had done similar, know JD seems to like to make life difficult

5. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    Some drive hub's have a tag on the motor which could be manufactured by others. That is a good starting point.

6. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Chewie2105 and mg2361 like this.
  7. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic
    Unfortunately Deere does not sell the Duo Cone seals for that (why? I don't know). You will have to source them aftermarket. See leak diagnostic flow chart attached.

Attached Files:

8. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

The crc link I posted above has them. That explains why they ain't in my deere catalog.

9. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

OHHHHH....I know THAT one! Because complete drive motors are a lot more profitable! What did I win?:D

mg2361 and HATCHEQUIP like this.
  10. HATCHEQUIP

HATCHEQUIP Senior Member

Well it aint a driver motor:p

Vetech63 likes this.
  11. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Link I put up says that they are Rexroth units.

12. Numbfingers

Numbfingers Well-Known Member

mechanic
    Probably gonna be the same story, but I just replaced a final drive and motor assembly on a CT332. Had a leak so I ordered a seal kit. When the kit showed up I disassembled the final only to find the guts were damaged. No parts available for it other than seals. Had to replace the whole unit.

13. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic
    Thanks for the link heymccall. That's good info. I never heard of CR components. Now it is added to my favorites.

An "Atta Boy"!;)

14. Chewie2105

Chewie2105 Member

did you manage toi get the gearbox split, I am having a hell of the time splitting it to get to the duo cone seals, have the 2 lock dowels out but can only get a 1/4" turn either direction before binds up

15. Numbfingers

Numbfingers Well-Known Member

mechanic
    I got it apart but dont remember the details of how.