• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crusher Jaw swapping,

tctractors

Just thought I would ask for any hot tips or tricks to getting this task sorted, I have worked on plenty of single toggle crushers in the past, a couple of Extec C12+ units have just landed in the last few months in my Parish, it would seem that getting the jaws out is still a right dog of a task, the major problem is dirt packed down the sides of the fixed plate, also getting the 2 wedges out of the moving plate, on the older style Extec's I used to just cut the wedges with the gas but any tips would be usefull and gladly sucked in.
tctractors

curb guy

Would love to help you but, my crusher is a horizontal impactor. Would still like to see some pics!

Cmark

I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but several years ago I had to change a few jaws on a c12, and you're right, it's not easy.

2 man job with one passing tools and one on the air chisel to dig out the sides. The built-in hydraulic pushing cylinder isn't much use until the majority of the crud is chiselled away.

On the one of them, we had to lift off the feeder so we could get a portapower behind it.

I don't remember having a particular problem with the wedges. Dig out the holes and bang out the bolts.

Get yourself an apprentice, and you do the tool passing!

Good luck

grandpa

Remove all the bolts that hold the side key plates in, and also the bolts across the wedge on the jaw. Then fire it up, crush until you can see them moving,, at this point you should be able to hoist the key plates out. The jaw wedge will probably take some grind/cut where the rocks over time has mashed the mangenese into the mating faces. If your unable to feed rock into it with the bolts removed, find a good friend that owns a big maul,,,, wouldn't hurt to pick him up a case of beer too....lol. Good luck, Grampa.

tctractors

Many thanks for your feedback on this nasty little chore, I used to get involved with Extec Megga Bite cruchers some years ago, I was fairly sorted at whacking out the jaws with both of them locking in place with 2 top wedges with 2 bolts through each wedge, I often would just torch through the wedges and set the plates free after a bit of excavating the sides of the still jaw, but this newer better fancier setup is harder to strip out in my mind, sad thing for me is I have to get the job sorted tomorrow and its due to rain heavily all day, some times being a Postman looks a great job.

tctractors

Just thought I would post an update on the new style jaws that have proved a dog of a task, firstly the site crew are best described as a right rough lot, half of them walk around in sweat vests in the now near freezing temp's with arms sporting air bag size muscles and would easily get a film part as "Pub Uglies" so I am not struggling with any of the big bolts, the still jaw although I had cleaned all the dirt from the sides and moved it just a few mill's back and forth with the factory fitted cylinder, just would not move any more, so this morning I fettled up a pushing plate with a 2" dia bar poked through it and perched it into the frame, then used a 30 ton cylinder to press the plate free, the excavator was hooked onto the plate via the lifting frames and I kept pushing and releasing the cylinder after about 40 min's of this activity with over 8'000 psi at times on the cylinder it finaly set free, the moving jaw took about30 mins to strip out, that still jaw took about 13 hours of effort one way or another to set free, in the past I used to swap jaws on Megga Bite's as a Saterday task easily???