• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crown Zellerbach Yellow or Orange Iron

Born2clearcut

Here's some pictures of the same landing that the pe-load euclid is in . The loader is a Northwest with the number 18 on counterweight ,it's loading a pre-load trailer. The yarder i have never seen anything like it ,it has a odd fairlead system on top of the pipe . Pictures taken in Feb 1960.

Attachments

• feb 1960 loggging (7).jpg
    feb 1960 loggging (7).jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 1,164
  • feb 1960 loggging (8).jpg
    feb 1960 loggging (8).jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 1,161
  • feb 1960 loggging (9).jpg
    feb 1960 loggging (9).jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 1,162
  • feb 1960 loggging (10).jpg
    feb 1960 loggging (10).jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 1,159

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Looks like a early Madill or Berger

Lynnwood Equipment Inc. which was in the northend of Seattle made one also. I believe they went out of business in the late '70s. I saw an ad for one in Loggers World around '68 or 69. LEI also made tilt trailers and other misc. equipment.

Redwood Climber

Berger Tube & Guy Lines

Here's some pictures of the same landing that the pe-load euclid is in . The loader is a Northwest with the number 18 on counterweight ,it's loading a pre-load trailer. The yarder i have never seen anything like it ,it has a odd fairlead system on top of the pipe . Pictures taken in Feb 1960.

That tube with the Banjo top on it has Berger written all over it. You can see a good example of it on the Berger thread. Also you can see the 2 part block purchase guy lines, Berger made many of their machines with that set up. It looks like only 4 guy lines, am I seeing that correctly? That can't be right.......gotta be one out front at least...... Interesting that the tube was made In three bolt together sections. I wonder if that was factory? I've not seen another one like it. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited:

glenlunberg

Occupation
Supervisor
Nice images on this thread. I've enjoyed looking those logging truck and other machines pictures. Those equipments can really done lots of jobs.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I was there when we built the three 3412 Powered P-16's.You are correct about the HP.Cat came in and detuned the hell out of them so the Allison could cope with the Cat torque curve..I believe Coast Powertrain has one of the remaining trucks and has rebuilt it(I have seen pics)I also well remember doing 16V71TT P-16's..We also built (Mac-Blo I believe)three trucks with the much bigger 12V92...I am pretty sure these are the P-16's we widened the frame rail spacing 4 or 6 inches..

Cory...(Pacific Truck 1977-1987)

When F C moved the 40-90 40-91 40-96 P16's from Nanimo Lakes to HBO they left one P16 for a lowbed I think it was the 40-98 and I'm petty sure it had a V12 92 in it ,with the hi low spliter box in the drive line.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
To be honest I don't...If I knew more about it the little details might jog my memory.It appears to be air start so that really narrows it down..I lost my little book that I wrote all the info down in along with its job number which later became part of the serial number (consecutive unit number)I do remember that I helped assemble (mechanical and hyd) over 50 P-16's...I see a few things out of the norm on it...Is it one of the 12V92 trucks...

HDX

diamondtguy This was one of the Crown Z supertrucks that went to NitNat in the late 70's They came with the "Cotta" aux trans behind the 6 speed Allison and the V16 GM engine's

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Well...I remember doing a few V16 trucks but my mind draws a blank on the Cotta aux trans.I have seen it mentioned here and the name rings a bell but I just cant picture one...Does it still excist........Cory

HDX

You can see the Cotta underneath the truck. The Allison was bolted to the rear of the engine and then the cotta was remote mounted behind that. Quite a bit of tinkering to get them in. No I have not seen one around for a number of years but that does not mean there is not still one around someplace. You can also see the air tank under the passenger side running board that was the air supply for the air starter I will phone Ian Brown from over at Crown Z's NitNat camp He got one of them new. It was a beautiful truck and he really looked after her BUT she was on the fateful barge that never docked again!!!

Last edited:

HDX

Just got off the phone with "The Black Prince" Good to hear from an old Crown Z guy. He will fill in a lot of the blanks about the Crown trucks and specially the NitNat Division trucks He was saying that the two trucks lost on the barge were 40-87 His truck (121's V16 GM) and 40-92 (121's and a silver 92 GM)His father in law's truck. These two trucks were later replaced with 40-98 and 40-99. 40-99 had a number change almost right away due to the "Code 99 emergency radio number" So it became 40-100 At least we will now have a guy we can go to when we find a picture of one of their trucks and we need!!! Great way to figure out the truck history of Crown Zellerbach Welcome to the forum "BLACK PRINCE"

HDX

BLK PRINCE: maybe you can remember some of these old girls and their original numbers. Pictures were taken at Ritchie Bros. auction in Chemainus.
IMG_0061.jpgIMG_0062.jpgIMG_0065.jpgIMG_0066.jpgIMG_0067.jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
One on the bottom was 40-90 delivered to Nanaimo Lakes 1978-79 .It went to Russ Davis from Nanaimo as part of a three truck group,40-89 40-90 40-91. Courtenay got 40-88 and I got 40-87 . Also 40-92 came to Nitinat The lowbed in frames 1 & 2 was not Nitinat as ours was not replaced when barge sank,Nanaimo Lakes lowbed did not have frame on the front for boom rest.It would have come from Courtenay or Beaver Cove

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
The P16 Pacific hooked to the blue lowbed ( Pacific loggings lowbed from Masachie Lake ) is the #40-96 the P16 Pacific above it with the blue radiator is the #40-90 .

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
If you expand the picture of the one hooked to the blue lowbed at the bottom of rad you can see the old numbers 40-90.The 40-95 and the 40-96 were both new to Nanaimo Lakes. Jack Donaghy got 95 and Billy Mosher got 40-96 .

Last edited:

HDX

The first two pictures were from Courtenay I was just testing you guys LOL She was parted out in Sarita but her remains are still very salvageable so IPL is thinking about a major rebuild down the road. She had SPR 570's in her and they are long gone for parts but there is still 91,000 sets still around so it would be a good fit. Good frame Good cab and water tank. We lost one of our P16 conventionals in May to a bad job of ditching her so between them enough for a good P16 Time will tell