• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crown Zellerbach Yellow or Orange Iron

logger mike

And further i have worked around the rubber loaders alot in fact you have a pic of a thunderbird on a carrier we used when i worked at Erickson, we were logging in hayfork ca then, we had two 892 deeres on carriers also, they loved to break the frame in half, also been around a 600 prentice on a Lanco carrier. Anyway the deeres were the end of the carrier mounts. 330 cats and 840 thunderbirds followed but thats a whole different story.

HDX

Thought it was time to bring this thread up again! Does anybody out there remember when Crown Z use to take their equipment from NitiNat to Coleman Dump (Franklin River) and load it on the barges to take up to their winter show at Kuyuqot?? Wonder if there is any pictures of the barge that turned turtle in the storm and they lost all that stuff--Grapple Yarders and trucks and a bunch of other stuff. I was told they sent underwater cameras down to look and it was a mess. Decision was made to leave it there. Told there was a Grapple Yarder sitting on top of Ian Browns P16 supertruck. Maybe we could get DR Ballard(guy that found the Titanic) to go up and see whats left now

RJE

And they make such a deal about the Ted Leroy equipment underwater lol. I cant even imagine what there is for the amount of logging equipment that is in the ocean right now... HAHAHA

Jdigger4130

Thank you all for posting all this material about this company. I only have the book Finley Hayes put together and really was interested in more info on the workings and ect. It makes me happy to find out how many people the founder actually put to work. From VERY humble office in San Francisco to seemingly giving Weyerhauser A run fer er... Cool!!!!

PacificEd

I have seen pictures and watched the Pacific Company video that shows the CZ Pacific P-16 "Super Trucks". What makes them "Super Trucks"? Where they any different than a regular P-16?

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I finally need to ask; does anybody have the CZ book Finley Hays did in 1970 for their centennial? I dug mine out. I do it every few years, not just for the stories but the ads for up to date equipment…. I have no way to scan it, to enter it here. The book is primarily Washington and Oregon. The best add is the Lynnwood Porta tower, one of the “newer” machines I got to work under. Too bad it is standard newspaper format with B&W photos.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I believe only about six of those were built, I heard they weren't powerful enough for big wood, and were always blowing hydraulic lines. Neat pictures!

Are you sure you are not referring to the TL5H? I saw the prototype model at Vail in about 1971 or so. I was just a wee lad back then, but I sure remember that machine, and the maintenance nightmare it was. I recall hearing the mechanics comment about the fact that the hydraulic system was pretty much a huge entanglement of hoses. IIRC, they loaned it to Weyco for free in exchange for testing and evaluation, but Weyco didn't seem to think they came out too well on that deal. I believe it was powered by a 6-71.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
A answer for Murk100...We built quite a few P-16's with 16V71TT (???)engines.They are indeed 2 8V71's married together.

Cory....(Pacific Truck 1977-1987)

HDX

Im not sure what "Super Trucks" you mean There was three over at Crown Zs NitNat division and they had the V16 71TTs in them and the Cotta Trans was installed after. There was three P16 PreLoads built for Franklin River Division in 79 and they came with the 3412 Cat engines and they were the only ones with the 3412s as far as I know. Only reason they were even built with those engines was because they were going to pull "Pups" (two loads of logs) at a time from the old NitNat shop now called BR57 to Coleman Dump. Whole thing was a bad idea because even though they were capable of unreal HP they were cut way back because the 60-61 Allison Trans would not take that kind of horsepower. They had bulletproof rear ends SPR 570s but still the weak link was the trannys The Cat engines were a gazillion dollars if anything went wrong with them Of those three trucks I was told H92 was cut up for parts and H93 went to the oil fields and H94 went to Georgia. H92 was the Franklin Lowbed truck for many years and she had a Cotta trans in her also for a while.

trakloader

Im not sure what "Super Trucks" you mean There was three over at Crown Zs NitNat division and they had the V16 71TTs in them and the Cotta Trans was installed after. There was three P16 PreLoads built for Franklin River Division in 79 and they came with the 3412 Cat engines and they were the only ones with the 3412s as far as I know. Only reason they were even built with those engines was because they were going to pull "Pups" (two loads of logs) at a time from the old NitNat shop now called BR57 to Coleman Dump. Whole thing was a bad idea because even though they were capable of unreal HP they were cut way back because the 60-61 Allison Trans would not take that kind of horsepower. They had bulletproof rear ends SPR 570s but still the weak link was the trannys The Cat engines were a gazillion dollars if anything went wrong with them Of those three trucks I was told H92 was cut up for parts and H93 went to the oil fields and H94 went to Georgia. H92 was the Franklin Lowbed truck for many years and she had a Cotta trans in her also for a while.

Thanks, HDX! I think one of our P-16's was supposed to be a "supertruck", it seems to have a larger engine compartment, and had a really thick rad. The hood is higher than on our other P-16's, too. It was quite noticeable when the truck was parked by the other Pacifics. I think they swapped some parts and it now has the hood and rad from a different truck.

HDX

I think Crown Z had the market on the big rear ends in their P16s We still have several with 121s and SPR570s. Looks really neat to see the big diffs and look under the hood and there is a buzzin duzzin with twin turbos. AND two 6 inch exhaust pipes Just takes your breath away LOL. All these old girls have done their hard time. Think how many drivers they wore out!!!!

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I was there when we built the three 3412 Powered P-16's.You are correct about the HP.Cat came in and detuned the hell out of them so the Allison could cope with the Cat torque curve..I believe Coast Powertrain has one of the remaining trucks and has rebuilt it(I have seen pics)I also well remember doing 16V71TT P-16's..We also built (Mac-Blo I believe)three trucks with the much bigger 12V92...I am pretty sure these are the P-16's we widened the frame rail spacing 4 or 6 inches..

Cory...(Pacific Truck 1977-1987)

trakloader

CZ stuff

Some barging pics, and some old CZ stationary with the old logo.

Attachments

• cz1.jpg
    cz1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,430
  • crown zed barge loading 00121.jpg
    crown zed barge loading 00121.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,443
  • crown zed barge loading21.jpg
    crown zed barge loading21.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,445
  • crown zed barges21.jpg
    crown zed barges21.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,420
  • crown zed #521.jpg
    crown zed #521.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,420

HDX

Those three trucks also had air throttles Now that was Bizarre to drive them Dont get me wrong here im not a closet P16 driver but every now and then we would drive one of them for a day while our REAL trucks were being detailed in the shop and the P16 driver was away. Karl Breidenbach got H92 new and kept her till he retired in 98 Les Nelson got H93 and Luke Weber got H94 he also retired in 98. After Luke retired Gary Cathers got old H94 and it went to Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo and was rebuilt. She came back as a lowbed truck for a couple years and replaced Karls H92-- Then the trucks went through a bunch of drivers till finally sold in 2002

HDX

Wonder what ever happened to their tug the Jervis Crown????? Think it was one of the last ones they had built not sure

trakloader

The Jervis Crown is now the Seaspan Monarch.

Attachments

• Tug_Seaspan_Monarch_on_Johnstone_Strait,_BC,_Canada1.jpg
    Tug_Seaspan_Monarch_on_Johnstone_Strait,_BC,_Canada1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,235
Last edited:

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
1984 Madill 044

Been looking to bring this thread up to speed!!! Fletcher Challenge 52-48 serial# 60116 still in service now owned Beban Logging.

Attachments

• S5001991.jpg
    S5001991.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,248
  • S5001990.jpg
    S5001990.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,106