• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crown Zellerbach Yellow or Orange Iron

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Here's a great clipping featuring a CZ truck train. 5 pre-load trailers and 4 dollies under them! Took me a bit of looking to find this.

Gotta love it!
Contract logger, Yes great picture - I think driver was Andy Craig(I am not sure of spelling). I think it was only done once. Some kind of bet as I recall:D
One of your pix you osted today shows Hayes HD with 2 empty trailers at top of truck. I have not seen this configuration before - very interesting.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Bella Coola? :confused:

Nanaimo Lakes.. 1977-1982 when I worked for CZ they pulled trains" 3 loads was the norm.
I also seem to recollect they had Cat logging trucks aswell for pulling the trains.
They weren't to sucessfull on steap grades, spun out single rear axle. I can't remember if they were duals or single tires. They kinda looked like a Terex with a pre-load trailer. HDX will know more about this than me, if he doesn't I'll call a friend he'll know.
My how times have changed.. a load would come down from the loading side to the Junction drop his load, grab a new trailer back he went. meanwhile back at the Junction they would be hooking up Trains for the 7 mile haul to the A-frame dump at First Lake where they water scaled it, then towed it across the Lk. reloaded onto rail cars, and then off to Ladysmith where they dumped the railcar loads into the chuck, then onto Log barges. Now its all hiway trucks. ( hope this makes sense)

HDX

That picture of the 5 loads was a kind of BS type photo The truck stopped farther down the road and unhooked the last two loads and went down and dumped then went back and got the other two loads . Andy Craig was not the driver but he did a really good story on the taking of that picture. We were faced with the same problem at Franklin River when we were pulling trains and pups to the Coleman Dump--the road dictated the number of loads you could pull. When pulling a train the average load was around 80-90 tons of logs The weight of the truck-3 trailers and2 dollys was 100 tons empty so then add the 240-300 tons of logs and that gives you an idea of what was going down the road. Crown "Z" was one of the first companies to use the Williams "Kangaroo Valve" with their truck trains. In 1992 at the ATHS Truck Show in Portland Ore I had the privilage of meeting Norm Williams and spent the better part of an afternoon with him. He just loved the P16s and the HDXs up here -told me how he made different valves for whatever the application. He passed away some years back now but what a neat guy.

HDX

Contractlogger Those are uptown pictures of the Hayes HDs There was three of them bought for down there Sold through Automotive Equipment Company 311 NE Oregon Street Portland ORE All 3 trucks were delivered Mar 24 1970 They were HD 31-78 8V71N-- GM engines with Mack rear ends and suspension MACK SWD 5921 and Fuller RTO1213 Trans Trucks were painted "Omaha Orange" 11:00X24 tires S/N 4054--4055--4056

HDX

Hayesno1--Sad day today Went up to Campbell River to see Tom Turner at CR Alltrucks. He locked the doors for the last time this afternoon, He phoned me Thur nite and said I better get up there today--We filled the old Ford to well above normal with parts, If you could have seen what he through away you would have wept. The scrap bins were overloaded Like he said people knew he was going to shut her down and never went and talked to him so it went into the bin. He saved a ton of the old stuff for us but like he said "it was time" logging industry in toilet why not just retire. He supplied parts for Mack,Pacific, and Hayes for over 33 years there Before that he worked at HAYES from 1966 And so another Company throws in the towel. BUT that Clown Forest Minister says WE ARE GOING TO RECOVER. IT was him and his pals that totally destroyed the BC Forest Industry. I guess that rant would be best served somewhere else on this forum-- SORRY !!!

trakloader

That picture of the 5 loads was a kind of BS type photo The truck stopped farther down the road and unhooked the last two loads and went down and dumped then went back and got the other two loads . Andy Craig was not the driver but he did a really good story on the taking of that picture. We were faced with the same problem at Franklin River when we were pulling trains and pups to the Coleman Dump--the road dictated the number of loads you could pull. When pulling a train the average load was around 80-90 tons of logs The weight of the truck-3 trailers and2 dollys was 100 tons empty so then add the 240-300 tons of logs and that gives you an idea of what was going down the road. Crown "Z" was one of the first companies to use the Williams "Kangaroo Valve" with their truck trains. In 1992 at the ATHS Truck Show in Portland Ore I had the privilage of meeting Norm Williams and spent the better part of an afternoon with him. He just loved the P16s and the HDXs up here -told me how he made different valves for whatever the application. He passed away some years back now but what a neat guy.

I always figured that picture was BS. Hey, that's neat that you got to meet Mr. Williams! If it weren't for him, Washington and Skagit would have had to totally redesign their machines. LOTS of Williams valves, switches, etc. on them!

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Hayesno1--Sad day today Went up to Campbell River to see Tom Turner at CR Alltrucks. He locked the doors for the last time this afternoon, He phoned me Thur nite and said I better get up there today--We filled the old Ford to well above normal with parts, If you could have seen what he through away you would have wept. The scrap bins were overloaded Like he said people knew he was going to shut her down and never went and talked to him so it went into the bin. He saved a ton of the old stuff for us but like he said "it was time" logging industry in toilet why not just retire. He supplied parts for Mack,Pacific, and Hayes for over 33 years there Before that he worked at HAYES from 1966 And so another Company throws in the towel. BUT that Clown Forest Minister says WE ARE GOING TO RECOVER. IT was him and his pals that totally destroyed the BC Forest Industry. I guess that rant would be best served somewhere else on this forum-- SORRY !!!
HDX; that is very sad news.:( I get mad/confused thinking of all that great stuff threwed away. Anyway glad you saved some of it. I was planning going up there this summer, but I guess there is nothing left now. Just to sad to see another going down. :Banghead So much for politiciens it's the same here in Denmark:mad: - but you are right - it better be server somewhere else than on this forum - SORRY to!!!

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,324

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
3 different CZ Hayes HDX preloades parked/retired at Courtenay. All with set forward configuration. Pix were taken 2004. I have posted pix of 2 dump trucks as I think they were old CZ trucks but when pix were taken they "Timberwaste" trucks. Please enjoy:) Sorry pix must wait as I can't upload at present time. I guess site is not running 100% yet.:(

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
3 different CZ Hayes HDX preloades parked/retired at Courtenay. All with set forward configuration. Pix were taken 2004. I have posted pix of 2 dump trucks as I think they were old CZ trucks but when pix were taken they "Timberwaste" trucks. Please enjoy:) Sorry pix must wait as I can't upload at present time. I guess site is not running 100% yet.:(
upload of pix is okay now:)

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,137
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,160
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,139
  • scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,134
  • scan0010.jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,159

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Here is a P16 back in early 80's and a retired HDX used for spares

Attachments

• scan0106.jpg
    scan0106.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,706
  • scan0014.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,649
  • scan0015.jpg
    scan0015.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,517

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
The Gallows

CZ- 'The Gallows', article reprinted from Canada Lumberman, December 1961

'The Gallows" saves CZ truck time
A simple log structure developed and built by CZ truck loggers has resulted in more efficiency in trucking and a good saving in round-trip trucking time

The merits of capital punishment in preventing crime may be debatable, but there is little doubt that the "gallows" in CZ Canada's logging division at Courtenay, B.C., is getting results.
The gallows is a simple log structure consisting of two up-rights and a cross-beam. It gets its nickname from the fact that three empty log trailers can be suspended free of the ground from the crossbeam.
Purpose of the gallows is to :illow log truck drivers to pick up trailers for "piggy-back" loading and to deposit them without help. Otherwise it is a two-man job.
Log truck drivers" back their cabs underneath the trailers and with the aid of the "fifth wheel" lift mechanism on the trucks, pick up or hang their trailers from the gallows.
Fifth wheel is key
The gallows was built recently as another step in the load transfer system of log hauling which is taking hold here. Courtenay division superintendent Mike Poje explains the system by saying "the truck that brings in a load of logs from the woods will not necessarily be the truck that dumps them in tidewater."
Mr. Poje said the system provides more flexibility for the hauling and dumping operations of the division. It is keyed to the fifth wheel or hydraulic lifts with which some log trucks are now equipped.
The hydraulic system is used to lift and lower the trailers so that a truck can be backed in or driven out from under. The drivers alone can handle the legs of the trailer when its weight is supported by the lift.
Without the hydraulic fifth wheel, a crane or other means of hoisting the trailers is needed for coupling and uncoupling. Drivers must also have the guidance of another man for this operation.
As an illustration of the usefulness of the gallows and the load transfer system, Mr. Poje said that a loaded log truck arriving at the divisional centre about 3 p.m. could not dump his logs and return in time to make another trip to the woods.
Big step forward in logging
"It's 10 miles return to the dump at Royston," he said, "and by the time he got back here it would be too late to complete a trip for more logs."
Under the new system, however, the driver lifts up his trailer-load of logs with the fifth wheel, puts down the logs and leaves the load standing.
He then drives out from under the trailer and over to the gallows, where he takes on an empty trailer, again with the aid of the fifth wheel. Now he is all set for a trip to the woods and another load of logs.
His first load, meanwhile, can be hauled to the dump by another truck — either the same afternoon or later.
The load transfer system was introduced into the woods several years ago and has been tried out at a number of operations on the west coast of Canada and the United States.
It has been described as the greatest forward step in logging since the advent of truck logging.
Although more elaborate methods of suspending pre-load trailers are in use elsewhere, idea for the simple yet effective gallows at Courtenay belongs to Pete Rennie, mechanical supervisor of the timber department.
It was built by Courtenay's master mechanic, Larrv Lehtonen and truck foreman Garry Grant. •

Attachments

• 7-8-2010 9;10;16 PM.jpg
    7-8-2010 9;10;16 PM.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,405

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Nanaimo Lakes.. 1977-1982 when I worked for CZ they pulled trains" 3 loads was the norm.
I also seem to recollect they had Cat logging trucks aswell for pulling the trains.
They weren't to sucessfull on steap grades, spun out single rear axle. I can't remember if they were duals or single tires. They kinda looked like a Terex with a pre-load trailer. HDX will know more about this than me, if he doesn't I'll call a friend he'll know.
My how times have changed.. a load would come down from the loading side to the Junction drop his load, grab a new trailer back he went. meanwhile back at the Junction they would be hooking up Trains for the 7 mile haul to the A-frame dump at First Lake where they water scaled it, then towed it across the Lk. reloaded onto rail cars, and then off to Ladysmith where they dumped the railcar loads into the chuck, then onto Log barges. Now its all hiway trucks. ( hope this makes sense)

Here it is Cat Truck !!!

Attachments

• Image0002 - Copy.JPG
    Image0002 - Copy.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 2,470

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Now that is a great pic! This is the reason I love this forum-- for the pics to remind us of things people did, or tried to do, that few remember, and fewer even know about.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Euqlid Truck and big Sruce CZ Sanspit

Attachments

• Image0006 - Copy.JPG
    Image0006 - Copy.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 2,306
  • Image0005 - Copy.JPG
    Image0005 - Copy.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,318

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Hauling log for A-frame log dump Sanspit and arival of new truck

Attachments

• 000004630002 - Copy.jpg
    000004630002 - Copy.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,593
  • 000004630003 - Copy.jpg
    000004630003 - Copy.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,360

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
This is one those old Madill (tank retriever??) towers having a bad day...Nanaimo Lakes CZ:(

Attachments

• Image0004.JPG
    Image0004.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,222
  • Image0011.JPG
    Image0011.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,445

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
These pics are at the Junction Nan. Lakes, lowering the old trailer loader before the pre load trailers were around... We believe it was a Burrard Tower??

Attachments

• Image0010 - Copy.JPG
    Image0010 - Copy.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,119
  • Image0014 - Copy.JPG
    Image0014 - Copy.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,110

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Great pictures Torkel - keep them comming. I recall I saw 2 Terex 4x2 logging trucks parked in Squamish in summer 2000. Sad to tell, I did not take any pictures:(