• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crane-related work deaths trended down from 1992 to 2017

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot

Vetech63

LMI 's, increased insurance costs, mandatory training and certifications.....doesn't surprise me a bit. It's a good thing!!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Seattle must be a hot spot then. Four deaths at one time a month or two ago.

crane operator

24 percent of the deaths were in a plant or manufacturing, I don't think those apply to what most of us on this site consider "crane" work.

23 percent are when assembling or disassembling a crane, I always tell people that is actually the most critical part of most crane work. Setting up and tearing down. Its like painting, its all about the prep work. The actual picks don't take any time, and is the easiest part. Tearing down a lattice boom, all the ironworkers love to jump in and start beating out pins and the next thing you know a section can fall or pin someone, I know of two guys myself that didn't get to go home due to that.

The saddest part was texas, 50 of the deaths were there, and the next closest states were florida, california, new york and ill, all with 14-16 deaths. Texas is a boom area, and the oilfield work is lots and lots of hours away from home working in the dark and its tough tough work. Its a sad deal.

i don't care a lot about how much we get done in a day, as long as we all get to go home at the end of the day.