• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crane ID

Nick2445

Can I get some help with an ID on this older boom truck crane? I’ve been told it’s 10ton 90’ and that is all they know.
71E4D541-77D1-4EF3-AFDB-53F14A684186.jpeg 5079A130-6681-4AA4-A527-914EFBAFB70E.jpeg 306F7D3E-F3F7-45B8-8157-8730A5DBD1E5.jpeg

crane operator

The cable extension on the top of the boom, is similar to the old skyhook/ skyhoist and wilkie sign trucks. But neither of them ever used a top mounted extension cylinder. And most of their stuff is round boom.

But its built along those lines, think less boom truck and more sign truck. But there's been a lot of small builders come and go in the sign truck industry.

The controls on the side of the turret is a typical sign truck thing. Most of the boom trucks are going to have a platform.

If it doesn't have a manufacturer name and load chart, you'll never get it to pass any kind of inspection, that a insurance carrier would want, to lift items for other people.

Which is likely why its for sale, i.e. not that there's anything wrong with it, its just no one can write down a manufacturer name on the inspection paperwork, because no one knows who built it. No inspection= no insurance = no crane.

It actually looks like a pretty well built unit. But I think you would have better luck with searching "sign trucks" and google images, and sign trucks for sale, if you want to find a manufacturer. Or even the right old guy in a old sign shop might look at it and recognize the builder.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
It is probably an "Elliott" built crane/sign truck. I suspect this, since it says "Elliott" on the boom, and Elliott builds/built that type of truck. I see them around all the time in the Dallas area.
Jeff

crane operator

I kinda think the "elliott" on the boom has less to do with the "elliott" manufacturer- than it has to do with the "Bill Elliott and Sons Tree Service" that is stenciled on the door.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
10 ton boom with 90 ft reach? I agree with crane op, that's a sign truck boom of some sort, have no idea who made it. And that 10 ton is going to be straight up and sucked all the way in, once you extend that capacity is going to drop rapidly.

skyking1

really light wire rope on it too. No second shiv in the tip, so you'd need to hang an aux pulley for anything heavy and I don't see an eye for that either. I'd use it if I had it, don't get me wrong, but I sure would not buy it.

muzy

That whole thing gives me the Willie's. Aren't those skive fittings with non skive hoses?£