• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crane accident florida

crane operator

Terex crawler, they were bringing a scissorlift over the wall it looks like.

There's a guy walking away on the ground out by where the jib lands beyond the scissor lift. He needs some lotto tickets.

He was just kind of walking, then when the ball hits the ground, he really took off, but he was running the wrong way, angels looking out for him.

crane operator

You can see the scissor lift is hung up on the wall, I'm betting he was dragging it up the other side of the wall, trying to pull it out of the building (not shown in video) then when it cleared the wall it popped him (shock load) and it was all over with from there.

A lot of the lmi's won't shut you off when over capacity and booming up, it only cuts out the a2b functions- booming down, cabling up, and tele out. So you can just keep booming up when the buzzer is going, it doesn't actually stop you from booming up.

But the smart thing would have been to walk 20' closer.

ryanmueller

I've been pushing the limits of this crane because I don't have room for my outriggers. Mainly flying a mini excavator around for the drillers so I just keep it low and as close as possible and when it starts feeling tipsy I tell them I'm not going anymore IMG_3149.JPG

ryanmueller

I've only ran one crane with an lmi so I'm not too familiar. I used to looking at the chart on the door and measuring things out. And when the outriggers start lifting then it's a little too heavy

crane operator

All the manual's clearly state that a lmi is intended as only a "aid" to the operator. The chart is still what counts. And where most get in trouble is the lmi can't account for a sudden increase in load, just like when that scissor lift falls off the top of the wall.

I did notice in your other threads pictures that you were running short outriggers, will your counterweight clear if you try to swing 360?

ryanmueller

I've only been able to get 180 plus a little till my counter weight hits the wall. Even in this picture I had about an inch of clearance on the counter weight and the fair lead barley scraped on the front. The crane being taken apart in the background was the crane that I ran with an lmiIMG_2898.JPG

Tugger2

Use your chart on rubber,what ever you do with short side outriggers just takes the rock n roll away. With conventionals like this there is a lot left up to the operator. Developing reaction to that feel in the the seat is crucial,possibly a dangerous experiment until you have it mastered.Its hard to comment on stuff like this from seeing a video soft ground under the loaded track could put the lift way out of radius but, feel in the seat might have changed the outcome of this incident,but thats always counteracted by the responsibility on the operator of bailing on the lift in mid stream,personel in the the imediate area, destroying a scissor lift.

ryanmueller

I use the rubber chart unless I'm just over the rear then I look at the regular chart

Knepptune

Wonder if he was swinging or booming. A lot of those crawlers are like a truck mount in that the chart is better directly in line with the tracks then over the side. Especially strong directly over the end of the track. All it takes is a slew pot that's off on the slew degrees and you can get yourself into trouble.

Knepptune

After watching that a few more times it really looks to me like he just kept feeding it boom till it went.

Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have an Lmi. Or lmi was in setup/rigging mode.

To me it looks like if he would have grabbed a whole handful of cable down at the first sign of trouble he'd have saved it. But I'm a long ways away.

Natman

We maybe had another boom truck get into the powerlines here in Idaho. I'm starting to think crane accident reporting is about as garbled as the typical aircraft incident reporting, clueless.

All I heard on the local media was "POWER WAS SHUT DOWN FOR SEVERAL HOURS WHEN A TRUCK WITH A BOOM HIT A POWERLINE"

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
We maybe had another boom truck get into the powerlines here in Idaho. I'm starting to think crane accident reporting is about as garbled as the typical aircraft incident reporting, clueless.

All I heard on the local media was "POWER WAS SHUT DOWN FOR SEVERAL HOURS WHEN A TRUCK WITH A BOOM HIT A POWERLINE"
Yea that is the same everywhere. People reporting about things they have no knowledge of and sure make it hard to understand what really happened.

I like how so many times there is a report that says "bulldozer" and you look at the picture next to the article and there is a front end loader there!

Delmer

How about reporting of the latest "unarmed black man shot by police" for holding a "metal pipe", then it became a "welding torch" which was getting closer, but then a "shower head". Two or three days later and you can't figure out that it's not a shower head? It was obviously a propane cylinder fitting, either a propane torch or a coleman stove adapter.

td25c

How about reporting of the latest "unarmed black man shot by police" for holding a "metal pipe", then it became a "welding torch" which was getting closer, but then a "shower head". Two or three days later and you can't figure out that it's not a shower head? It was obviously a propane cylinder fitting, either a propane torch or a coleman stove adapter.

Good point Delmer !

Don't know what's up with the procedure today ?

In the 1970's a Cop carried a revolver pistol , night stick and a shot gun in the car .

If a feller got a little rowdy he got thumped on the head with the night stick .

Today ........ Well .......It's all about safety . :eek:

Last edited: