• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Craftsman Ratchets

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I bought some 3/4 drive Snappy at a yard sale in early 80's. A ratchet and 6 sockets. A few below,
the sockets are 1947 to 48, the ratchet L-72N-1939 vintage. Still use them and snappy has to warranty
them still. Broke the ratchet one time. Paid $50 bucks for the lot.

View attachment 261026 View attachment 261027
While working at one of the companies other plants many moons ago saw one of those 3/4 inch heads in the scrap bin. I asked why it was there and was told it broke and the boss just bought a new one of the truck next time they were there. So I tossed it in my truck and next time Snapy showed up at the shop handed it to him and got it rebuilt and then I bought the long handle for it and it is till working to this day!

Old Doug

Were i worked we repaired Rail cars then they went to another shop to be painted. Some one at the other shop found a Proto 1/2 ratchet black finish and deep socket in a car. I think at one time it was a company tool . It was rusty or it would have found a home some were. It was returned to our shop and left in the brake room for some one to claim. Agin it wasnt chrome so it laid there eveyone ask if it was mine after a week of guys saying is that rusty tool Dougs it became mine.
I saw a pair of 11r visegrips in the scrap bin because they had cracked i pulled them out and took them home welded them up. I felt uneasy doing this but its hard not to . One part of the shop had a guy working in it that kept a eye on stuff that was getting scraped like broken tools,hardware and other stuff. I guess 10 year latter he got caught pulling some thing out of the scrap and about lost his job.

Jonas302

i started using some tecton tools. if you break something just send then a picture of it and they send a new one no questions asked.

Awesome I just sent them a picture of a broken socket I have been holding onto had a reply in 10 min!

I have there 3/4 drive set in my service truck as you can imagine that ratchet has seen some overloads holding in well though. The larger drive sizes with bigger teeth do seem to hold out better

mekanik

My grandfathers toolbox. He was a heavy duty mechanic. This is what he kept after he retired.
I suspect the toolbox was army surplus because of the olive green color.
hBmVQaV.jpg

cCE3l3O.jpg

7nnNyri.jpg

The drawers don't have slides you pull them out and set them on the bench.
FQJyMaH.jpg

The 1/2" Snap-On ratchet with the I beam handle has a grease needle fitting at the top of the head. The other 1/2" ratchet has
no makers name on it and the square ids pushed through to the other side to reverse direction. I see an assortment of scrapers in the drawers I suspect are for babbitt bearings.
U1D1JXy.jpg

An interesting valve adjustment tool.
u8kc6bd.jpg

The black boxes are full of assorted nuts screws and odds and ends.
VQhFyxS.jpg

A couple old vehicle gauges.

mitch504

I have an old Williams ratchet that looks and works like that. It would have been from long before snappy bought Williams, but I know snap-on and Matco both buy ratchets from Wright, so maybe they bought Williams back then.

JD955SC

I will not use a Craftsman ratchet, the older USA made Craftsman sockets and wrenches are good, screwdrivers aren’t bad, but the ratchets are dime store grade coarse teeth crap for the most part

Snap On of course makes very good ratchets, Gearwrench makes more reasonably priced but still good ratchets AND for the 84 tooth Gearwrench ratchets you can drop a Matco 88 kit in the head.

nowing75

My grandfathers toolbox. He was a heavy duty mechanic. This is what he kept after he retired.
I suspect the toolbox was army surplus because of the olive green color.
I suspect the toolbox was army surplus because of the olive green color. love the egg beater drill
hBmVQaV.jpg

cCE3l3O.jpg

7nnNyri.jpg

FQJyMaH.jpg

The 1/2" Snap-On ratchet with the I beam handle has a grease needle fitting at the top of the head. The other 1/2" ratchet has
no makers name on it and the square ids pushed through to the other side to reverse direction. I see an assortment of scrapers in the drawers I suspect are for babbitt bearings.
U1D1JXy.jpg

u8kc6bd.jpg

VQhFyxS.jpg

hBmVQaV.jpg

cCE3l3O.jpg

7nnNyri.jpg

FQJyMaH.jpg

U1D1JXy.jpg

u8kc6bd.jpg

VQhFyxS.jpg

Old Doug

I have a broken craftsman 1/2 breaker bar . I happen to think about it and was going to be close to a lowes .They would have warrentyed it but didnt stock that one. They gave me a number to call but so far its a wild goose chase. I also have a broken snapon 1/2 breaker bar that i am going to send off i havent seen a snapon truck in a long time.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'll take a Craftsman ratchet long before a dozen Snap On ratchets. My Craftsman ones are going on 14 years with no issues. Seems like my Snap On one lasts about a week before it piles up. I'm probably gonna take that POS to a pawn shop and trade it for something useful like a salad bowl or something.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I'll take a Craftsman ratchet long before a dozen Snap On ratchets. My Craftsman ones are going on 14 years with no issues. Seems like my Snap On one lasts about a week before it piles up. I'm probably gonna take that POS to a pawn shop and trade it for something useful like a salad bowl or something.

you should go buy a lottery ticket because you are one in a million.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
you should go buy a lottery ticket because you are one in a million.
I've had very little luck with Snap On. Besides, I've yet to live and work anywhere that the dealer bothers to even show up. Seems like if you aren't giving them half your paycheque every week they want nothing to do with you.

Mike L

Occupation
I’ve had completely different experiences with snap on dealers. Being in a truck I don’t see them weekly like shop guys do but I generally have a dealer on speed dial and just set up an auto pay with him so he gets his money. The last guy I dealt within Maine would go out of his way to meet me wherever at odd hours to fix, replace or deliver tools to me. When we met up the last time before I moved, he gave me a new hat, T-shirt, and 2 new hoodies for me and my wife. He certainly didn’t have to do that. Now, I came across a 3/8 craftsman ratchet in my toolbox. I would be willing to trade you straight up for that snap on ratchet. Just out of the goodness of my heart.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I’ve had completely different experiences with snap on dealers. Being in a truck I don’t see them weekly like shop guys do but I generally have a dealer on speed dial and just set up an auto pay with him so he gets his money. The last guy I dealt within Maine would go out of his way to meet me wherever at odd hours to fix, replace or deliver tools to me. When we met up the last time before I moved, he gave me a new hat, T-shirt, and 2 new hoodies for me and my wife. He certainly didn’t have to do that. Now, I came across a 3/8 craftsman ratchet in my toolbox. I would be willing to trade you straight up for that snap on ratchet. Just out of the goodness of my heart.
I think I've seen them show up a total of about a dozen or so times in the last 14 years across 4 different shops. Never seem to have any deals or promotions either. Matco guy where I used to work was awesome, always had smoking deals on tools.

Mike L

Occupation
Funny you mentioned that. I can’t find a local snap on dealer where I live now but I’m told matco and cornwell are big here. I saw a Mac tools truck the other day north of here. Should’ve flagged him down. I like Mac tools but have never had much luck with them sticking around

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
It must be hard to make the snap on tool truck work for a living. we get a new guy every year in our area. right now its about impossible to track one down. I broke my favorite seal puller and cant find a guy to replace it. thankfully i dont have many Snap On tools just a few specialty tools.