• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Covering Exhaust During transtit

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Had large turbocharged marine engines and if they set for a very long time we could have some bearing problems not often but there was other machinery running ie, fire pumps that over time would or could cause bearing failure. We would spin the propeller shaft so they wouldn't set in the same position. On some of the steam powered ships I was on when at anchor our plants were in stand by we spin the steam turbine every 15 to 30 minutes to keep the turbine rotors straight. Welding was another problem the arc welders were grounded to the hull and you only had a positive lead so you could arc across bearings out come pitted shafts and bearings. You had to be sure your machinery grounds were good.

Last edited:

johndeere123

I would not recommend using duct tape on a chrome exhaust, a friend of mine had to replace the pipes on a truck because the residual glue from the duct tape burnt into the chrome once the truck got hot.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I came across this and didn't feel there was a consensus of opinions.

Here is a screenshot from a New Holland operators manual that specifically reads you should cap the exhaust to prevent turbo damage. Better safe than sorry I say.
turbo-transport_zpsjxbkhrju.jpg