• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cost to replace steering clutch brake 450 b J.D

gusdust

I had this done 1-2 years ago at a small shop. It ran about $5000.00 as I recall. It was a 450B dozer. All new parts on one side. The other side was all checked when he was in there. He had to split the track, take the top off the machine. Labor was the biggest part of the bill. I got him the parts and tech manual. He had never done that particular machine before. I chose him over the big dealer in my area. I have put about 200 hours on it since with no problems.

Monserandsons

Occupation
owner/operator of carpentry an excavation business
yaa... scrub puller u really hurt my feelings with that one however u wont be scoring any points on this one. on the other hand after reading approximately 600 of your posts I wouldnt argue with u even if i was holding the high hand. check out my website monserandsons.com its a compliment

Last edited:

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Monserandsons. I sure didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings.

Unlike a lot of folks on here my experience is quite limited and mostly on the larger tractors from Cat and Allis from the late 'Fifties to the 'Eighties. Even of those tractors I lack the encyclopaedic knowledge of models, serial numbers and engine types displayed my many contributors to this board . . . the depth of knowledge here is quite astounding.

I try and limit my comments to topics that I know a little about and, as most folks will realize my views are somewhat dated. I was just expressing surprise that a manufacturer like Deere would build a little machine where serviceable components such as brakes and steering clutches couldn't be attended to without dismantling tracks and final drives.

I visited your website and must complement you on your work, that is a particularly neat little shed.

It must be a satisfying situation to be able nurture and guide your sons to become part of a family business.

Cheers.

dillon45

" try and limit my comments to topics that I know a little about and, as most folks will realize my views are somewhat dated. I was just expressing surprise that a manufacturer like Deere would build a little machine where serviceable components such as brakes and steering clutches couldn't be attended to without dismantling tracks and final drives."

You make an excellent point concerning J.D.,some people "including me" have no idea of the huge cost to replace a "steering clutch" Last quot from J.D. dealer, LABOR: 20 to 30 hours at $110.00 per hour
PARTS: $1000.00 to $1800.00 PARTS & LABOR approx. low end, $3500.00 high end, over $5000.00 this is for one side only.
This price is for a J.D. 450 B w/ dry clutches.

The entire seating /control tower including fuel tank, hydraulic reservoir , all linkages, hoses, controls, and track split have to be removed prior to any work commencing replacing the clutch brake.

Had I know this information I would have ran away from that machine, I can't understand what the J.D. designers were thinking when they put theses things together, unless you have
the skill and a lot of time to do the work yourself don't give theses money pits a second look.

Monserandsons

Occupation
owner/operator of carpentry an excavation business
in truth im a bit of a drama queen, I should've kept my mouth shut. ive an old cat d68u im playing with and after reading your posts I would definitely seek your advice.the part I left out is when I thought I had it right I put it all back together and it didn't work! took it all back apart and had the dealer adjust it, oh and the skid plate needs to be droped. needless to say ive narrowed this procedure down to a couple of hours.

Last edited:

dillon45

Update: Since the last post I decided the labor, cost and aggravation to be way to much. I sold this machine at a lose, and was happy to see it go. Lessons don't come cheap
and i got my monies worth.
Thanks for all the help and great advice, I'm now on the hunt to buy another dozer, not sure what make it will be but i will most definitely take my time looking.

Thanks again, dillon

td25c

Keep looking dillon45,something will show up. I never did ask what type of work you were going to do with the dozer? I assumed possibly using to work on farm or property. Looking through machinery trader and stumbled across this IH 175c high lift & thought about this thread. It may to big for what your wanting to do but sure looks good for the money. Undercarrige looks pretty good as well. www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9125429

dillon45

td25c Thanks for the info. on the machine, yes I want something to work around the farm, probably won't put more than a 100 or 200 hrs. a year if that. I'm going to
take my time and not get in no hurry this time around, i don't want to make that mistake again. Thanks again td25c.

dillon

check

The entire seating /control tower including fuel tank, hydraulic reservoir , all linkages, hoses, controls, and track split have to be removed prior to any work commencing replacing the clutch brake.
It's been 33 years since I worked on a JD450, but I remember raising and suspending all that stuff on an overhead hoist and being able to get the job done in cramped misery without disconnecting much.

dillon45

It's been 33 years since I worked on a JD450, but I remember raising and suspending all that stuff on an overhead hoist and being able to get the job done in cramped misery without disconnecting much.

Is J.D, the only make that requires dismantling so much to change a "steering Brake" ? What were the designers thinking of when they put these things together, they must of realized
the consequences of of angry owners spending a great deal of money to repair a component, by design, made to wear out.