• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cost of Operation for one-man forestry mulching operation

daveyclimber

Its easy to write down projections of this and that but they rarely amount to reality. I recently started a mulching business about a year ago, buying wht appeared to be good equipment. A year later im nearly bankrupt, my contract took 3 times longer to complete due to mechanical brekdowns and **** poor manufacturers support. A skid steer is a toy when it come to mulching and it will be very difficult for you to turn a profit because those small machimes eat parts like nobodys business. My machines are large purpose built or converted units. I havent even worked this season due to repairs and backorders of parts. Wish you the best in your endeavor.

crane operator

Thanks for posting that daveyclimber, I hope things turn around for you. Its never fun when things don't work out the way you would like, and it really stinks when the things that go wrong are out of your own control.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Its easy to write down projections of this and that but they rarely amount to reality. I recently started a mulching business about a year ago, buying wht appeared to be good equipment. A year later im nearly bankrupt, my contract took 3 times longer to complete due to mechanical brekdowns and **** poor manufacturers support. A skid steer is a toy when it come to mulching and it will be very difficult for you to turn a profit because those small machimes eat parts like nobodys business. My machines are large purpose built or converted units. I havent even worked this season due to repairs and backorders of parts. Wish you the best in your endeavor.
What brand of dedicated machines do you have ? The 2 best days that I owned one was the day I purchased it and the day I sold it.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I got to agree with the downsiders here for a couple reasons. 1st, before we even read this is not a one man operation, this looks good for someone already in the biz with a trailer to start with. I am all for specialization and efficiency but you got to get there first.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I have seen some business sprout from a single piece or 2 and I would be willing to bet most of they wouldnt have penciled out at the start. Some guys got a gift, some work really hard, some luck, some timing etc. I kind of got sideswiped in some sense and never really went back to my career as I should have at some point. I was too busy,, ha. Then I thought I could coast, that might not have been such a good idea. I might have to start over, I think I might operate most of it out of the back of a pickup for the most part.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
This has been an interesting read. I’m curious how it has worked out?
Me too. I've always found those ProForma things nothing more than BS compared to real life and only used for getting money from lenders.

Unless you work like a dog, manage your money like every penny is your last and always be ready, both mentally and monetarily, for the worst possible scenario to hit, few can survive this business. I'm on my 24th year of working solo and my 24th year of mulching. Do I miss my employees and the associated paperwork? Almost never.

It has not been easy but I enjoy what I do and that is what kept me going. It's been a hell of a learning experience. The rewards are customer appreciation when they see what a value that I can add to their property and, most importantly, freedom. Freedom to be self reliant and live the way I want to, not at someone else's beck & call. If you tire easily from endless maintenance, perpetual repairs or eternally long days, this is not the business for you to consider. There are easier ways to earn a living but you won't catch me surfing a desk any more than I have to.

I can't count how many have tried to get into this business just to find out they don't have the persistence and mental fortitude to make it work. They come with visions of grandeur and leave with one of life's most expensive educations.