• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cost of new pickups

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Find a used Utility Truck or US MIL Service Body truck, cheapest alternative and already have bodies installed generally with some connection setups for welders, inverters etc. Is how I started as a Inde and should have continued with. Digger Derrick trucks, remove Hawser style rope, convert to cable, Hell of a Load rate and boom capability even using the synthetic rope.

I've pondered those digger derricks as well for a service truck. The auger would be an added bonus for drilling parking lot light pole bases - easy money.

You can find them with tool boxes almost all the way around and some with a man bucket. Could be a useful truck for personal/yard use.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The craziest thing is a truck from 2003 or 2023 the only thing really different is the huge radio.

Night and day difference performance and comfort wise from the '03 350 6.0 I had to the '22 350 6.7 I have now - no comparison.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Night and day difference performance and comfort wise from the '03 350 6.0 I had to the '22 350 6.7 I have now - no comparison.
It must be a matter of perception, because I was driving a 97 7.3 F-250 diesel manual 5 speed bench seat to and from work, and driving a modern Super Duty 6.4 as a work truck, and I did not care any more about the modern SD. And since then the SD has been sold due to numerous problems and replaced with another one 6.7 that also has numerous problems, meanwhile old 7.3 is still doing duty as a shop truck, AC still cold, radio still works.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
It must be a matter of perception, because I was driving a 97 7.3 F-250 diesel manual 5 speed bench seat to and from work, and driving a modern Super Duty 6.4 as a work truck, and I did not care any more about the modern SD. And since then the SD has been sold due to numerous problems and replaced with another one 6.7 that also has numerous problems, meanwhile old 7.3 is still doing duty as a shop truck, AC still cold, radio still works.

Never owned or drove a 6.4. However I have owned 3 - 6.7's with no issues, the oldest ('13) 6.7 has 200K miles. Also have a '01 7.3 bought new with over 200K on the clock and all that it is needed to tell the difference between a 7.3 and 6.7 is tow 12K lbs with each of them. No comparison.

Tugger2

That's what I'm looking at, reason for "maybe" bobbing the 5 ton is most used service beds are for single axles and I won't get home in a 4 x 2 configuration nor to some job sites. So I need at least a 4 x 4 couple with a rig made to handle major off roading.
So researching digger derrick truck beds...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1757030401297617/?ref=saved&referral_code=null&__tn__=!:D

The above is an ad on facebook ,someone just wanted the truck.It might be a bit far for you,but id bet theres stuff like this closer to you.

See this kind of stuff around here quite a bit.This rig served us well for many years .300 amp welder and compressor on it. The crane with a boom mounted winch was handy a shirt pockets for tight spots. It was originally a telephone service truck.Work 8-10 308.jpg

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Two styles of Digger Derricks, Insulated and NON Insulated Booms. Squirt section is White and considerable THICK walled is Fiberglass, Insulated. All Steel non insulated, latter is generally fr City or State services trucks that deal with Signage posts sets and NOT electrified. Glass Booms take a little less abuse to damage.

chidog

I had an old Ford to use with the auger crane with out the auger. I like those winches at the end, you can extend and not have to constantly adjust them. I think it was a 4.5 ton, the thing I didn't like is having to climb up on the platform to operate the crane.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
Speaking of trucks...:rolleyes: I'm looking at service bodies right now. Be best if I bobbed the 5 ton military truck I have and put a service bed on it with a crane and of course some stabilizers, got about 17' of frame to play with.
Use to think I didn't have enough tools to run my own service truck, but after a month working for someone maintaining a fleet of semis and whatever else, I'm just missing a handful of tools.
Just copy their service trucks and few extras of course for personal use and I'm good to go!
Don't necessarily need to go mobile, but I get asked a lot if I got my own tools and reply with no cause I didn't think I had enough, now I know. Another thing is I spend almost a hour over a 9.5 hour shift trying to find missing tools and it's Fking irritating!!!!:mad:
I don't know if you seen it, there's a member on here called TOMV that has a service truck that sounds like what you are looking for.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I don't know if you seen it, there's a member on here called TOMV that has a service truck that sounds like what you are looking for.
Nope haven’t heard of them. Though I found his rig, that would get stuck coming up here.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
apihxq0ju__29019.1603326428.jpg

This is similar to Eaton and other makers Locker Differentials, Axle Snapping mothers!!!

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
apihxq0ju__29019.1603326428.jpg

This is similar to Eaton and other makers Locker Differentials, Axle Snapping mothers!!!
Arse end would wag like a dog tail while sinking trying to climb a 25 plus degree ridge. Needs to have a front axle to help pull it up. I need to go take a picture today or tomorrow. Though I am watching that particular one on eBay right now to put in my front rear axle, it even needs help.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
You folks totally miss read what I typed.. so be it. This is what I was referring to.
link.
So what do we do in times of an emergency, such as a hurricane, where the demand for certain items goes out of sight (plywood, food, tarps, fuel, generators, potable water, ice, caskets, etc.)? The supply chain for every item is based on workers who make those items putting in a 40-hour week, and on truckers being similarly restricted (calculating the latter is beyond the smarts allowed in my pay grade).

So, BOOM, a hurricane like Katrina that hit New Orleans hits a populated area of the U.S., with many deaths and huge damage to most houses, as well as to commercial and industrial buildings and facilities. Plywood, food, tarps, fuel, generators, potable water, ice, caskets, etc. are now in huge demand. But price controls restrict local retailers from raising their prices -- seems fair on the surface, eh? Two days in, and the local retailers are now out of product, even though they ordered resupplies days before the storm was due to hit, but resupply under normal (price control restrictions) will take weeks. The supply chain is accustomed to supplying retailers for non-emergency times, and because a normal profit is part of cost, with price controls the retailers cannot afford to offer the suppliers more money to make more goods, or the logistics system higher prices to expedite delivery of these desperately needed goods. Not having a higher profit incentive, the manufacturers of these goods cannot ramp up their production because their workers are already working at 40-hour-per-week maximum production and there is no additional money to pay their workers for working overtime. Similarly, logistics is only making a normal profit on their trucks, so the trucking companies cannot afford to put a second driver on to expedite shipping deliveries.

So, those who believe in price controls in these circumstances feel righteously justified (unless they are in the hurricane-impacted area), and those who need those goods are just way out of luck.

Truck Shop

Trucking in a emergency is not a issue-there's plenty of trucks nation wide. The problem then
becomes what are they going to haul back.

As far as a supply chain from manufacture--that issue exist because of just in time delivery,
causing not enough supply on hand, witch wasn't a real issue years ago because there was
a thing called a full warehouse.

Remember the toilet paper and cleaning supply debacle? That whole problem was caused by
social media ramping up fear which in turn caused hoarding across the country worrying about
having a clean ass. Which raised the price of toilet paper. As a nation we cause many of our own
problems because of paranoid greedy behavior.

As far as areas of the country that are impacted every year by storms like Tornados. There should
automatically be depots of mass quantiles of all the normal emergency items. Instead of shipping
those items overseas.

The other item-any state that is prone to certain types of disasters--Stop building trailer parks
tornados are attracted to them. Forest fire areas--no brush or trees within 200' of a dwelling.
Flood area--never should received a permit to build in the first place. Building in a flood plain
is just plane nuts. Tornado alley-all houses built from concrete no stick frame structures.
Earth quakes-if you chose to live and gamble living on a known fault zone-that should be on
them bad choice-best to move to North Dakota not much happens where Shimmy lives just
slightly cold now and then.

Last edited:

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Trucking in a emergency is not a issue-there's plenty of trucks nation wide. The problem then
becomes what are they going to haul back.

As far as a supply chain from manufacture--that issue exist because of just in time delivery,
causing not enough supply on hand, witch wasn't a real issue years ago because there was
a thing called a full warehouse.

Remember the toilet paper and cleaning supply debacle? That whole problem was caused by
social media ramping up fear which in turn caused hoarding across the country worrying about
having a clean ass. Which raised the price of toilet paper. As a nation we cause many of our own
problems because of paranoid greedy behavior.

As far as areas of the country that are impacted every year by storms like Tornados. There should
automatically be depots of mass quantiles of all the normal emergency items. Instead of shipping
those items overseas.

The other item-any state that is prone to certain types of disasters--Stop building trailer parks
tornados are attracted to them. Forest fire areas--no brush or trees within 200' of a dwelling.
Flood area--never should received a permit to build in the first place. Building in a flood plain
is just plane nuts. Tornado alley-all houses built from concrete no stick frame structures.
Earth quakes-if you chose to live and gamble living on a known fault zone-that should be on
them bad choice-best to move to North Dakota not much happens where Shimmy lives just
slightly cold now and then.
It's fire prone here, who would of thought to build a steel or concrete structure, new concept to me I never thought of.