• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cost of new pickups

Old Doug

What gets me is i made more money per hour at my last job than most made . I dont owe any one or have any payments other than monthly stuff i was able to save a little every month. There is no way i could buy a new pickup. At half what they want it would steal be high.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Back in 1973, I bought my first new pickup and started my first job fresh out of college. I was making about $3.85/hr plus overtime. I bought a brand new Ford heavy duty half ton, 4x4, long bed, with a v8 and 4 speed trans. It cost me right at $3400, including tax. Two days ago, I was talking to a guy at Lowes who had a new fancy Ford F350 dually. I ask about the cost and he said he had to give right at $90,000 for it, last week. Prices on new vehicles have gone nuts.
Jeff

Yeah, but that new Ford will do 0-60 in 5 seconds up a 7% grade with a 30,000lb trailer, while heating and massaging your back and playing you a movie. Bet your '73 couldn't do that . . . ;)

terex herder

Was trying to buy a new car last year. One dealership was MSRP, but added about $4300 worth of extras, rustproofing, nitrogen tires, door edge guards, and a near endless list of no cost BS with a huge markup. After my wife looked it over she really liked it. Wife made an offer of MSRP, but no, dealership had made lots of improvements to vehicle. Wife thanked him for his time, said he was a really good salesman. She said his chest was getting all puffy. Then she said he could contact her again when he took a job with an ethical dealership and turned around and walked out.

I am currently looking for a long box crew cab chevy 4x4 gasser. The few I've found seem to have just been sold, but I'll keep looking. Was told new order would be 4-6 months and would be 2024.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Covid is the biggest problem with all prices being high, producers of anything realised if people couldn't get what they wanted when they wanted it, they would pay more to make sure they did get it, all of a sudden we are getting " shortages" of "important" components for anything from vehicles to white goods, and that is followed up with well if you want one we can get one but for this much extra. in the UK we are getting " shortages of food stuffs now, and oh look the price jumps up at the same time corporate greed! companies are trying to recoup loss's made through 2020-2022 by just grabbing as much as possible as quick as possible, and we are all falling for it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yeah, but that new Ford will do 0-60 in 5 seconds up a 7% grade with a 30,000lb trailer, while heating and massaging your back and playing you a movie. Bet your '73 couldn't do that . . . ;)

It sure will and I enjoy every minute of it. :) Never knew I needed messaging seats but they sure are nice on long trips.;)

Covid is the biggest problem with all prices being high, producers of anything realised if people couldn't get what they wanted when they wanted it, they would pay more to make sure they did get it, all of a sudden we are getting " shortages" of "important" components for anything from vehicles to white goods, and that is followed up with well if you want one we can get one but for this much extra. in the UK we are getting " shortages of food stuffs now, and oh look the price jumps up at the same time corporate greed! companies are trying to recoup loss's made through 2020-2022 by just grabbing as much as possible as quick as possible, and we are all falling for it.

The supply chain issues are from the governments around the world shutting everything down. Shut factories down for months on end and that is a massive supply chain disruption which is not easily fixed. In 2021 the supply chain was predicted to be screwed up well into 2023 and possibly 2024 in which I scoffed at the time. Looks like those predictions may come out to be true.

56wrench

Well, nowadays with the global supply chain everyone depends on the big corporations being stable in their supply chain. They created some of the issue by outsourcing components from anywhere in the world to be able to access cheaper components. Some set up manufacturing facilities in other countries for tax and labour advantages. Then throw in foreign political trade disputes, etc. and we have an increasing risk of supply issues and costs. It seems to currently be a ‘down the rabbit hole’ kind of thing

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
I had a discussion with a very high up sales person in a large producer of ag machines in the UK, and basically told them to shove the machine they wanted 20% more for in 6 months, I then said I'd come back next year and have their pants down on the price when they have a glut of machines, his exact words were " that won't happen, we've been told by those at the top of the chain, that from now on production is being scaled back thus keeping demand high so they can charge more"

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Was trying to buy a new car last year. One dealership was MSRP, but added about $4300 worth of extras, rustproofing, nitrogen tires, door edge guards, and a near endless list of no cost BS with a huge markup. After my wife looked it over she really liked it. Wife made an offer of MSRP, but no, dealership had made lots of improvements to vehicle. Wife thanked him for his time, said he was a really good salesman. She said his chest was getting all puffy. Then she said he could contact her again when he took a job with an ethical dealership and turned around and walked out.

I am currently looking for a long box crew cab chevy 4x4 gasser. The few I've found seem to have just been sold, but I'll keep looking. Was told new order would be 4-6 months and would be 2024.
You would be smart to wait for a '24 anyway. You get the 10 speed with the 6.6 gas, and the new exterior and interior. Well worth the money to wait for a '24.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I bought my Toyota Tacoma in 2013 with a canopy added for right at $30,000. It is the only new vehicle I've ever owned. I didn't drive it much in those days because I had a company truck while I was an employee. It's getting close to 90,000 miles now and I'll keep it till it is outlawed or there is no fuel available for it. My wife's car is a 2002 4 Runner we bought used and it has almost 200,000 miles showing and the same thing goes for it. Only made payments for two years on each. Interest rates because of the big down payments were one point seven five percent. I could have paid cash for either but had some better uses for my money.

What people forget is all these high dollar modes of transport have finance charges on top of the sticker prices. I don't even want to think about the actual cost paid and the amount that flows into a banker or finance company's hands for doing nothing except renting their money. Most of us got suckered into the idea of I can have anything anytime I want it with just some easy payments.

Truck Shop

What people forget is all these high dollar modes of transport have finance charges on top of the sticker prices. I don't even want to think about the actual cost paid and the amount that flows into a banker or finance company's hands for doing nothing except renting their money. Most of us got suckered into the idea of I can have anything anytime I want it with just some easy payments.
You left out the extended warranty that was added in. Paying interest on extended warranty.
Our 2017 Nissan car has 12,130 miles on it, payed cash for it 26,000. 2006 Ford Ranger has
132,000 on it, bought it used with 55,000 for 6,000. Those vehicles will last me till I'm dead.
The Nissan gets 42 to the gallon. The last 2 years we bought two tanks of gas. we drive a lot.

Truck Shop

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Imagine that--an american business man caught price gouging. Why that just ain't
right Martha.

I mean, if some fool wants an electric F150 so bad he is willing to pay 150k for it . . . I am going to call that a little healthy wealth redistribution! Might even lead to some natural selection...

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
In Washington State a manufacturer from out of state cannot sell directly in to the state. The manufacturer's only recourse is to limit the number of units that are available to a dealer in the state. MSRP means nothing in a free market society as the only checks on price are the demand for the item. It's why we are seeing prices on things like groceries, consumer goods and energy inflating. The idea of raising interest rates is to choke out the available money in which to expand business and society and is counter to a free market society. It costs more to put items in the supply chain which limits the numbers of items, which increases demand which allows the increase in prices and we now have the snake eating its own tail.

Price gouging is a loser's term because it means that someone can't have something because they can no longer afford it. To someone selling an in demand item, getting anything less than the most they can is bad business. That idea is OK for nice to have assets. It is pretty low when considering it in terms of have to have items like food, housing and energy.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Price gouging is a loser's term because it means that someone can't have something because they can no longer afford it. To someone selling an in demand item, getting anything less than the most they can is bad business. That idea is OK for nice to have assets. It is pretty low when considering it in terms of have to have items like food, housing and energy.
Exactly, if the mfr wants the dealer to sell closer to list price then they should produce as many as the dealer wants to order! If they only produce a scant few, then the prices are going to rise. If the dealer is not allowed to sell at a high markup then some speculator will buy it and resell and pocket the markup himself.

Capitalism is just a description of what human behavior is and this is capitalism.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Here, the dealers have the vehicles on consignment. One family here has Ford, Dodge Jeep, and Mazda. The father had Ford, and when they bought the Dodge dealer, he gave Ford to the son. Another son runs Mazda. Another family has Kia, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai

mekanik

This picture is the Ford dealer in my town in 1965. My dad bought the light blue F100 2nd from the left. He remembers paying around $1800 for it. He was working as a heavy duty mechanic in a union shop making around $3.50 an hour. So after taxes around 600 hours labour bought a new plain pickup.
ford.jpg

terex herder

You would be smart to wait for a '24 anyway. You get the 10 speed with the 6.6 gas, and the new exterior and interior. Well worth the money to wait for a '24.
I try hard not to buy the new model of anything. There are always bugs. Heck, I just saw there is a class action suit against GM for 8 speed transmissions from 2013-2019. I want something proven, then I drive the wheels off it. When I'm done with it, it goes out in the pasture, nobody will want it for a trade in. Then I rob parts off it to keep other stuff running.