• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cost of new pickups

chidog

I've seen a few of the youtube videos on the now over stock of some new pickups, and the insane prices that are posted on them.
I will never own a new pickup, because if I'm going to blow that huge $ there are so many other things I'd rather in go to.
I say if no one buys them maybe at some point the prices will come down.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
3/4 ton and up pickups and C&C's are hard to get new here. At some point the supply/demand curve will change but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

It took 8 months for me to get a '22 F350 from order date to delivery. Haven't even received a build date on a '23 I ordered last October.

Tyler d4c

A week or 2 ago I was joking to my lady freind that I should get a new pickup she says there's nothing wrong with yours.
Fast forward to last evening we went to dinner and somehow it came up that activities may have happened in said pickup with previous....

I got told to buy a new truck

heymccall

Next to drugs and alcohol vehicles are a bad investment, really nothing more than a evil necessity.
In 1978 you could buy a fully loaded Chevy High Sierra 3/4 ton 4X4 for $7,800.
My 1982 C1500 Sierra Classic 6.2 diesel suburban stickered for $18k. And, it only had 130hp, no ABS, and no airbags (SRS) but it did have the AM/FM/CB in the dash.
That's $38k in today's dollar.
Today, a diesel 2wd suburban is $59k

JD955SC

My 1982 C1500 Sierra Classic 6.2 diesel suburban stickered for $18k. And, it only had 130hp, no ABS, and no airbags (SRS) but it did have the AM/FM/CB in the dash.
That's $38k in today's dollar.
Today, a diesel 2wd suburban is $59k

actually according to the inflation calculator that Suburban is actually $58k in todays dollars.

In 2016 I brought a nicely optioned just above base level Dodge Ram 1500 with extended cab and the 5.7 V8 for $32k. In 2023 the equivalent truck is $10-12k more.

It’s not that the truck prices are high it’s that the dollar is worth so much less for reasons we all know and hate.

In 2012 when I first started looking at a career change for better money I was making $11/hr and thought that $20 would be having it made and getting $30 an hour would put me on top of the world. Boy was I wrong… nowadays $30/hr ain’t jack.

On average if you compare a given consumer item adjusted for inflation to its past price it’s usually the same price or even less (and sometimes drastically less). It’s something I always keep in mind when somebody says “Oh yeah well X only cost $50 back in 1960!”

Truck Shop

It’s not that the truck prices are high it’s that the dollar is worth so much less for reasons we all know and hate.
Actually truck prices are high-because there filled with too much overdesigned crap that's
become standard equipment. In 1978 the guys working the local meat packing house on
the fab line were making just under $20 an hour I think minimum wage was 2.30.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The chip problem caused an availability problem which has driven up pricing along with other materials shortages. I've heard stories of dealers selling 3/4 and one ton trucks to the highest bidder and getting $15-$20K over sticker. I do vehicle purchasing at my job and I bought a 2022 F350XL with plow for $39,100 under our State Bid system. I've ordered a 2023 twin to it, absolutely identical and the price is $54,000. It was ordered last November and like CM1995 I haven't been given a production date, they've said to expect it late summer.

I'm active with my hometown government and their maintenance department had ordered a Chevy 2500 through State Bid and had their order cancelled after about 6 months. GM wasn't able to fulfill it.

Over the past few months I've started to see heavy pickups appearing in stock at local dealers but the dealers are tacking on a "premium" to the MSRP due to the still limited number available. Once they start sitting there a while pricing will start to come down again but I don't expect that to be real soon. I saw an F150 Lightning, the full electric model with an $18,000 premium over MSRP!

chidog

In 1957, a Chev 1 ton pickup suggested list price, $1961.32 with factory delivery and handling of 159.00.
A half ton was $1626.32.
I'd like to know what a decent wage was then, to figure out how much higher the cost is now versus an equivalent wage.

eastroad

In 1957, a Chev 1 ton pickup suggested list price, $1961.32 with factory delivery and handling of 159.00.
A half ton was $1626.32.
I'd like to know what a decent wage was then, to figure out how much higher the cost is now versus an equivalent wage.
In 1966, when I got out of the Navy, I priced a half ton Chevy; 6 cyl, three on the tree w/no radio for a little more than $1900. I had been working part time in a garage on my liberty time for about a year, and I was offered $2 an hour to stay in Charleston. I didn’t buy the truck, came home to Vermont and the best jobs I could find in SW VT paid a $1 to 1.25 an hour. My wife’s first teaching job, in Vergennes, paid something like $5600 a year. I commuted from Vergennes to Burlington for a mechanic job at $2.40. The I-H branch up there started at 2.52, but I was happy where I was, for a while. Times sure have changed. I think we were better off in those days.

nicky 68a

I placed an order for 2 new SUV’s in 2021.Took the first one out of the showroom that week,and collected the other one on Wednesday.
By Friday I’d sold the brand new one at a few coins more than I’d paid for it.There are still supply and demand issues here in the UK too,and certain brands will not come down in price.They will just take longer to sell.
I also bought a new Toyota pickup in 2021 after a 6 month wait.I hardly use it,but will keep it as long as need it,which will be many years to come.They are still expensive to buy.
We’re currently about 5 months into a recession that’s yet to be officially confirmed and work is definitely quiet.
This is to be expected to be fair,and the sooner we get into it,the sooner we get out of it.

Old Doug

actually according to the inflation calculator that Suburban is actually $58k in todays dollars.

In 2016 I brought a nicely optioned just above base level Dodge Ram 1500 with extended cab and the 5.7 V8 for $32k. In 2023 the equivalent truck is $10-12k more.

In 2012 when I first started looking at a career change for better money I was making $11/hr and thought that $20 would be having it made and getting $30 an hour would put me on top of the world. Boy was I wrong… nowadays $30/hr ain’t jack.

On average if you compare a given consumer item adjusted for inflation to its past price it’s usually the same price or even less (and sometimes drastically less). It’s something I always keep in mind when somebody says “Oh yeah well X only cost $50 back in 1960!”
I try but cant under stand how you can ever calculator what a dollar was worth at one time ? My Dad bought the cheapest GMC there was in 1979 i think he gave $4000.00 . He wasnt ever able to buy another new one after that. At one time 75% or more of the people i know would buy new to replace old but today i think saying 10% is a high number for people i know buying new to replace old. When your average Joe makeing a ok wage shouldnt by a new car thats messed up. I wonder what Henry Ford would think .

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Back in 1973, I bought my first new pickup and started my first job fresh out of college. I was making about $3.85/hr plus overtime. I bought a brand new Ford heavy duty half ton, 4x4, long bed, with a v8 and 4 speed trans. It cost me right at $3400, including tax. Two days ago, I was talking to a guy at Lowes who had a new fancy Ford F350 dually. I ask about the cost and he said he had to give right at $90,000 for it, last week. Prices on new vehicles have gone nuts.
Jeff