• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cost of Moving Heavy Equipment Locally

milon

A couple of things to consider, if you move other's equipment and you do not have cargo insurance (different from insurance on equipment that you own or rent), you will be liable for all damage to the equipment if something happens. Also, one must have operating authority to haul for hire interstate, and often intrastate depending on the state.

We have all of that with a $500,000 cargo limit that we sometimes have to bump up temporarily (ever price the cost of a new D8 or 730) and do haul some for hire, though not often. I charge a minimum of $150/hour from shop to shop on shorter hauls. For longer distance I start at $5.00 per loaded mile, and $2.50 for empty. I have an annual OS/OW permit for our home state, but I have to pay by the mile for gross weights over 80K that goes up exponentionally to my max, which is 142K on the major routes. Under 116k costs me $.04 per mile, and the top weight is $.70 per mile, so all this has to be figured in if I am bidding a haul.

Like CM, on paper I would come out better to hire our hauling done, but the convenience of not having to shedule that, and downtime waiting for an availble transport are hard things to put on paper Also, many of the places we work are hard to get in and out of. Asking someone else to to fight poor access usally comes with a cost after awhile.
thank you so much for your suggestion

Last edited by a moderator:

damnescavator

I move my 10 ton excavator which is under wide/heavy load limits but soaks a lotta time up doing the loading/chaining going slow worrying about fast curves, etc. It's not like towing a bobcat. I charge $100 an hour for that but most customers will not pay for it so I got a skid steer backhoe attachment for the quickie jobs. It's a Bradco bobcat attachment like before mini ex's got so popular.