• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Correcting bad trailer design

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
278C530B-9E53-41CE-9797-11D6959DB5D0.jpeg E201AAA3-D454-4CBE-A272-EC0C3304173A.jpeg Have this little equipment trailer that has these ripper shanks on the back... I’m sure customers really love the drag marks on their driveway!

any ideas for a fix?
Maybe some industrial rollers?
Just cut them off and deal with it?

Last edited:

skyking1

Notice the function. That ramp system has those two pivots, and the arms stop the rotation of the one part and then the other rotates. It lets you fold those ramps up. Don't hack them off and live to regret it. See if you can replicate the function first. You might be able to shorten and alter them, and make a bar up higher on the back of the trailer that they would contact and keep working as intended.
What they did was quick and dirty and cheap.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Ended up hacking them off and welding .5” plate onto the frame where they contact.
Still works
and I had a chance to fix a few stress cracks that were developing ... I’d better keep an eye on this trailer.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Iron bull.
Cheapest trailer I could find so I’m not all that mad about it. ... it’s actually been a decent little trailer.
Would recommend it considering how expensive these things are getting to be

1466IH

That "double" hinge allows the ramps to fold over flat on the dovetail. If you are OK with pinning the ramps straight up and down while driving you can remove that all together

Tags

That design also gives the ramps flexibility when unloading on unlevel ground or when the back of the trailer is higher/lower to the ground it allows the ramps to not get “stuck” once the trailer is loaded.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
That design also gives the ramps flexibility when unloading on unlevel ground or when the back of the trailer is higher/lower to the ground it allows the ramps to not get “stuck” once the trailer is loaded.
Yep...
By cutting the tabs the ramps are now able to drop a bit lower to the ground and I feel that less stress is being put on the trailer during load/unload. ... and no more drag marks on customers driveways!