• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cordless ratchets

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Looking into getting a 1/4" drive 12v cordless ratchet. Probably a Milwaukee as I have a couple other of their 12v tools.
Looking for feedback / experience. Currently using an IR 1103.

I've got to the point where, even in the shop a cord is annoying. Cordless tool and battery technology has done great things with power tools and seperating more money from our wallets.....lol.

Ed

hvy 1ton

I have the M12 1/4 ratchet that lives in my montezuma box and really like it. I put a 3/8" adapter on it enough I'm thinking about getting a fuel 3/8. It's definitely possible to damage the handle on both with too much hand action. I haven't had that problem, but I've seen quite a few pics of 3/8 with the head at a jaunty angle.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I have a couple of the Milwaukee fuel and non. I think I use my fuel 3/8 most, it's the one that lives in my truck, I'' just toss a 3/8-1/4 adapter from time to time.

JD955SC

The Milwaukee’s are awesome but you are going to want to see the three versions in hand before buying

1st gen- non fuel, black head. The head is the smallest of all, but the mechanism is the weakest of them. It should be no issue for a quarter drive ratchet. The head at least fits in the tightest areas

2nd generation- Fuel, astoundingly beefy gray head. Available in standard and extended length (get the extended). The head is a big beefy unit.

3rd generation, called the Hi Speed- fuel, head size is in between the two. Higher speed

all are good versions. The body is a little beefy so you may want an extended head version to help get into tighter areas. Much much more pleasant than an air ratchet to use doesn’t have that scream that sets your teeth on edge. For me 3/8 is the most useful size, I rarely use my 1/4 drive tools.

westerner

I have the 3/8 drive, 2nd generation Fuel powered.
Good power and speed, but it is alot bulkier than the IR air ratchet I used for decades.
While getting away from the hose is good, the length of the Milwaukee and the bulkiness of the handle and battery are noticeable.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
I have the 3/8 drive, 2nd generation Fuel powered.
Good power and speed, but it is alot bulkier than the IR air ratchet I used for decades.
While getting away from the hose is good, the length of the Milwaukee and the bulkiness of the handle and battery are noticeable.

Thanks, that is my main concern.....has to be a trade off somewhere.

Haven't seen the extended version, will check that out.

Thanks all!

Ed

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
3rd generation, called the Hi Speed- fuel, head size is in between the two.
I somehow hadn't heard about this model coming out. I've only run the first gen models since the second gens were so fat in the head it was obnoxious when using a coworkers (his just sat since he bought a Snap-on).

Might have to give the hi-speed a try since the 1st gen in my service truck is slipping bad. It'll ship off for warranty and the one at home will come with on next shift. May as well get an upgrade ordered for the next go around.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I wasn't real impressed by the high speed ones when I messed with them, the og fuels are still my favorite, I like the little bit higher torque.

Zewnten

I gave up on cordless stuff for all day every day use. Batteries lasted a bit past the 3 year warranty but not much while the tools themselves are holding up except for the cordless impacts. Just my two cents.