• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Coolant questions

Dickjr.

My backhoe has the red extended life coolant ( 416 C Cat ) anyway , no one carries that around were I live. I was at Orielly's looking around and they have a 50/50 premix that says mixes with any brand or any color. I needed to top off the coolant so I picked up a gallon of it and filled it up. Here's the question , have anyone had any experience with this and were there any ill effects. For me its easier to get the premix than getting straight antifreeze and then travelling to get a gallon of distilled water. Just curious about others experience.

nowing75

From what I have Ben told if it's elc it should not be a problem. And yes the pre mix is better because tap water is not pure. If you mix elc with conventional Copland it should not hurt anything but you will loose the benefits of the elc.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I am a firm believer in Cat ELC coolant, that is all I use religiously in my equipment. Had a water pump fail on my 953C last year at 4.2K hours or so, the tractor is 11 years old. When we replaced it there was no cavitation, sludge or buildup. It's not that much more expensive in my area buying it from the dealer than buying a product off the shelf at the auto parts store.

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Our petroleum vender told us that the new elc is all the same. The different colors are just added depending on the vendor that is buying it.( Cat, Cummins, John Deere.etc). Again just a salesman telling us that. Let me know if that is right?

nowing75

I get elc from my local oil supplier. It's same as the cat elc and is cheaper than my napa dealer. Pre mix is the best as your water is unknown what the chemical in it.

Dualie

Ex girlfriends dad topped off her bronco's radiator, that had conventional green coolant with some ELC that i had laying around. well that turned to peanut butter in the radiator and heater core. Personally after seeing that I'm not taking the risk.