• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cool Demolition Jobs!

K&W

My trucks load primarily at Demo sites for a few major companies, so here are a few site photo's and vids!!!!

nyctrip064.jpg

7-13-07007.jpg

cbb005.jpg

pics8007.jpg

pics8002.jpg

pics8010.jpg

Wolf

Great Pictures

Great pictures, and that's a huge truck you use. How many yards is that? How far do you have to take it to dump?

And where are you in Penna? Keep the great pics and vids coming.

And welcome to the forum.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
K&W, thanks for the videos and pictures. In that first video I was wondering just how far that grapple was gunna come toward the camera:eek: . It was nice to note a really clean and tidy yard there; and especially the way the excavator operator was packing the truck nice and neat without dropping crap all over and having stuff sticking out....good to see that some standards are being kept up in some parts of the world.

Wolf

Yes, beautiful work in a nice neat yard. Impressive indeed, and compliments to you coming all the way from Australia. What kind of debris are you hauling, in what kind of trucks and how do you process it all, in terms of what is going to recycling, what is dumped in the landfill, sold as scrap, etc. thanks and welcome to the forum.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Your not getting loaded with concrete in that 2nd pic are you? :eek:

K&W

No...no...no.......there was C&D material in the building on the driver side of the truck!!!!!!:D

Wolf

Still no scratches or dents. You could eat off that trailer. Spotless. Magnificent.

Tn Bulldog

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/ Truck driver
K&W That is 1 sweet looking Large Car w/ walking floor trailer ya got there bro :drinkup

later yall

bulldog

Last edited:

juniordemoguy

Occupation
doing demolition
Can someone tell me why I hear of more controlled "deconstruction" of buildings in Europe by use of excavators with "high reach" attachments as I do in the U.S. Are explosives and the "swinging ball" just more traditional here or is this selective demolition catching on more in the U.S. Perhaps it is the material we build with too? :idontgetit

i noticed a difference between demo in canada and the us too. the us seems to use a lot more track loaders for doing houses, etc. even on extreme makeover. up here in canada we are all about the hoes. :drinkup

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf

Depends on the part of the US, but hoes are definitely becoming the norm for demo. Some track loaders in certain places, but hoes seem to prevail.

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
Wolf,

Sadly enough, the track loader is all but obsolete on a demo job. A wheel loader with solid/foam filled tires and a wide array of work tools will run circles around a track loader all day long, with a much more comfortable operator, and, higher speed, more productivity. not to mention the elimination of undercarriage costs.

Eric

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Wolf,

Sadly enough, the track loader is all but obsolete on a demo job. A wheel loader with solid/foam filled tires and a wide array of work tools will run circles around a track loader all day long, with a much more comfortable operator, and, higher speed, more productivity. not to mention the elimination of undercarriage costs.

Eric
Not out in Cali, we used a cat 973 all the time at my old job....

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Wolf,

Eric

I would say this is only partly true! on some tasks you can replace the slower moving track loader with a faster wheel loader, and you will make profit on that!
but then again the filled rubber tyres are not any cheaper to replace than the UC, and they don't like rebar and other sharp objects soo much...

the track loader is great when you have limited space (height/ turn radius), soft ground or you are loading from a pile near the truck so you don't have to ride around.

and the track loader is more universal compared to a filled rubber tyre loader, the grip you get with these tyres arn't the best...

but it's stupid to argue about a thing like this... a good contractor knows wich machine to use and will make money by owning and understanding the capabilityes of the machinery with a good operator ;)

i have been wondering why the heck many use these buckets with a thumb on??? the demolition grapple is WAY faster and better to use!
at least here in Finland the enviromental laws don't alow us to put everything in the same landfill, only 0-20% from a demo site should end up in the landfill area!

Wolf

Sparffo:

You've got the right attitude, man. Use the right machine for the right job. So, how often do you tend to bring a track loader onto your demolition sites? And what kind of grapple do you prefer for demo? Have you ever used the bucket with a thumb in Finland, or are you strickly a grapple guy? Thanks for the input, this is very interesting.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
thumbs

Thumbs definetly have not made it in the UK :beatsme I can honestly state I have never seen any size of thumb or pic of one on any machine in the UK.
The first time I came across one was a pic a guy on ACME posted. That is not to say there isn't one in the UK, just they are nowhere near at popular as over the pond.
We have had grapples, (have a fixed leg to the dipper arm) for a good few years and are very popular/necessary in the demo industry. Just need a bracket welding to the dipper arm.
Now we ( the industry) is moving towards the rehandling grab/grapple. The problem with these is the requirement for an extra hyd service, but as technology has moved on and costs have reduced ( competition) it is much easier to have an additional service as aftermarket fitment, or as additional fit on new spec machines. :drinkup

Attachments

• grapple.JPG
    grapple.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 831

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
Sparffo,

Well said, I do almost 100% heavy industrial demolition, where we have large sites, vast amounts of slab and roadway, and with a good loader operator, the trails are clear of tire catching debris. But I Do agree with you on tight quarters, and rough demolition terrain, and can understand how in such areas how a track loader would be useful. I do see a lot of track loaders on tight big city jobs, but outside of the cities, they are pretty rare.

I also agree with your stance on thumbs, and grapples. a demo grapple is worth it's weight in gold, where as a thumb is more or less an after thought...unfortunately the company I work for now has 20 excavators, all of which have thumbs...no grapples, and no amount evidence can prove otherwise to the stubborn oldschool wreckers in charge.

Eric

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
unfortunately the company I work for now has 20 excavators, all of which have thumbs...no grapples, and no amount evidence can prove otherwise to the stubborn oldschool wreckers in charge.

Eric

I belive that you would go crazy 1 mile straights back and forth with a 973 :D thats what a wheel loader is for :p
big sites like that is probably quite fun to do! ? here in finland we don't even have that big factorys that are beeing demolished:confused: the industrial revolution came 100 years after your, so we have some catching up to do ;)

thats strange, 20 excavators could be airplanes faster with real demo graples, of course they cost money, but then again speed equals money...

my dad was like that when he managed still the company i manage/own now, everything new was bad, and don't fix it until it's broken... and i could really feel that we where making bad profit because of this cheap thinking :pointhead
when i took over 2000, i slowly started to invest in new stuff! and when i bought the last share in the company 2005 with my brother, we almost scrapped some stuff and got new!
working is a lot more fun now :)

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
So what make a grapple so much faster I can see that there more HD but thats it? I have ran several thumbs never a fixed grapple I sure don't think of them as slow.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
So what make a grapple so much faster I can see that there more HD but thats it? I have ran several thumbs never a fixed grapple I sure don't think of them as slow.

I have the same question. As we only do a couple demo jobs a year so I'm no expert but know a little about residential demo. We always use the bucket and hydraulic thumb configuration for demo. Seems that with a bucket you can get more for every scoop over a grapple. Like I said I've never used a grapple before, but wouldn't the bucket be faster if loading concrete block over a grapple?