• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Control Panel on EC 45 Volvo

glastron97

I did finally bite the bullet and repalced the PUMA at a cost of $3400....so far so good. It would not even start, and then we put the new PUMA in, and it started right up and has been working fine for the few hours I ran it in the past week. I'm sorry to break the bad news, but looks like you have to invest a few thousand to get your machine working. Good luck

Bp6179

Earth Straps

Hello from NH. I"ve read all your posts and I can definitely relate to the frustration as well. I have a 2004 EC35 with enclosed cab, and been having the same issues as described in different posts here (runs fine and then stops, runs fine and then controls go dead (except the blade) but engine on, won't start at all and control panel looks like a christmas tree, etc.). I did think it was voltage as well because I would jumpstart and it would sometimes work. Replaced the battery with best available....worked a little, then started acting up. Jumpstarted and that did not help (wouldn't even crank, or it would do a 1/4 turn). Called Volvo dealer and requested field service.....It's never good when the guy shows up and he has to look thru the manual for 30 minutes before doing anything.... He eventually verified all earthing (6) and clean them up. Told me it should do it, or else it would be the Puma control..... It worked for a bit and then started acting up again. Now I;ll probably try and buy the Puma control box as well, which was quoted at just a bit over 3k....

A friend that has 3 excavators (small excavation company) says he had a imilar issue with a Cat,and it ended being just a faulty wire....That's a lot of wires to change to go by elmination process...I<ll check the web in France to see if parts could be cheaper...Will post back with findings

Hi Glastron97

Do yo recall where all the earth straps are, I better check them before I spend the money on a Puma Unit, Is your machine working now?

mxridernrth

Hi all. My friend had an EC35 with the exact same problem. After much diagnosis and hair pulling it turned out (knock on wood) that it was a bad ground connection where the ground wire goes into the connector plug. It wasn't completely broken but was causing enough of a voltage drop (due to resistance) that it was messing up the computer. So check and clean all your grounds!

Bp6179

Did you have to have the Puma unit programmed or software updated, I'm looking into purchasing one and the supplier said that depending on your model you may need to have it programmed? I was hoping to install..........turn the key and start digging?

mxridernrth

You don't need to have it programmed straight away but all the computer functions won't be available. The machine will run fine.

Bp6179

EC45 Replaced Control Unit (PUMA)

You don't need to have it programmed straight away but all the computer functions won't be available. The machine will run fine.
Just replaced the control unit at considerable expense ! and it runs fine........so as many have said on this and other forums, so bite the bullet and get a new control unit. Thanks to all those ho have contributed and helped.

Tempest73

I've got the same problem with mine. If you get the panel to light up, it works great.

JamesG

Hello, as I'm electronics engineer I tried to repair this cluster. My conclusion - not worth repairing. First of all it's made of three boards which are sealed in white resin. It's very very difficult to remove it - black plastic case breaks completely. Another thing as someone already noticed - used one or new one are plug and play - excavator starts, but non of the functions are available. EC35 / EC45 boards are the same only software inside is different. I was successful to change model / serial number / moto hours and security code. By the way fault is dying micro controller (processor), when heated it works for some time... That's my research

kthompson

First I appreciate each one you replied here. After fighting the issue for a few years gave up and bought new control panel and that has so far solved the issue. NOW the details: Control panel looks the same but does NOT have all the functions of the old one. The old one allowed you to select by push button which function it was displaying like hyd pressure, engine rpms, engine temp and so forth. LOST ALL THAT. All you have now is the famous "idiot light and buzzer" so I was told. The fuel gauge is fully functional. The story I was given was Volvo no longer had software for the unit. Really? So did who ever make them control the software and now maybe someone else makes the unit so they have no access to the software? Just a theory I have. But the good news, it works! The other good news is the unit was less by a good bit than had been quoted when pricing the control unit years ago, was just under $2,000 US. I had been quoted over $3,000 US about four years ago.

I have a friend who has a 35 doing same and he is considering buying for his also and if he does will give feedback there.

I know this is one part on one machine but based upon my limited experience with Volvo not a fan or their parts and how they are built. Do not feel they are built for reasonable replacement cost. That is based upon the two parts that have had to replace so far. I do not mean simple things like horn or hoses or filters. Have been told same concept in their inboard boat engines. But she is mine and will be for a while longer. Have completed the job it was bought for years ago and we get one done and another job shows up! lol

Parkl99

I had PUMA problems with a VOLVO EC35. I found a website where I found a replacement computer that an engineer made himself. I contacted him through Whatsapp. He introduced me to his computer and the experiences of previous customers and showed me a couple of videos and pictures. I decided to buy his computer, which he then mailed to me. I received the computer with all the instructions for connecting it to the excavator. I had my doubts, but after testing the computer on my excavator, I saw that he is the right man. Even when I had any questions, he answered very quickly and is always available. He is a good man. The computer has a good price and i would recommend it to anybody.