• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Control Panel on EC 45 Volvo

kthompson

I purchased a used EC 45 Volvo (mini) excavator about two years back. Volvo had just replaced the control panel in it. The machine is an open canopy unit but over the last year or more has been about 100% parked either under shelter or under trap. About a month or so back the control panel began to fail to light up properly when machine was switched on. You may can switch it off and then back on and it might power up or light up properly or not. Last few times have cranked it up and just let it run at fast idle and in a couple of minutes it is working fine. Until it lights properly none of the hyd for boom will work. Blade works and travel work.

This past Saturday pulled the control panel out and had plans to open it and see if moisture was in it. That is one sealed unit and quickly realized to open it up meant to destroy the box like it is sealed in so reinstalled it. Sprayed all connections with contract cleaner but issues was not there for switched in on and same thing. Started the machine and in a couple of minutes it was operating fine.

If it would remain running fine after about two minutes of fast idle that would be great with me but have a friend who recently purchased a CD 35 (model size under mine) and he is having same issue only he can not his machine to run, sort of a problem as the best I can track the electrical for the fuel pump it comes from the control panel.

Open for any and all suggestions even a source for control panels outside of the $1,800 or so from Volvo or an option to control panel. Thanks much.

kthompson

Well it has been a couple of weeks since I posted this and no one has made any suggestions. That is understandable but just in case someone who might have a suggestion or more may happen to see this time.

volvobl

ive only just seen this so il try help you if i can there are 2 types of dash on these mini diggers i no that the ec25 and the ec35 dash are two different dashes alltogether i have an ec35 but with a fully glazed cab if your dash is the same as mine that it bleeps when push the 180* button is pushed or when you lift the arm rest those dashes are sealed like you said naw sometimes while im digging away and i push the 180*button and nothing happens so i turn it off and start the machine again and evrythings fine the thing is when i turn it off when this happens there is no beep noise on the key but second time is fine ive had water on my dash while cleaning the cab and mine is still fine i have a few questions

has yours got a antitheft keycode on it

is your dash as im describing or whats on like a ec25 looking at my manual it should be like im describing

if you pull fuse fc1 out turn key on it should beep and come up on screen fc1.1 i was just wandering by this would the dash light up better then

also it could not be moisture in the dash but but like a faulty live wire curroded under the key.

you could also just try another live wire into the dash just to try and see what happens then let me no haw you get on

Digger Dan

I would love to help but have nothing wise to tell you other than maybe keep the machine indoors in future to keep the moisture at bay:beatsme

kthompson

Thanks to both of you. My machine for at least the last year has seen very little none working time not under shelter. The first few months I had it slept mostly under trap but not 100% of the time. But it can be very humid here.

Volvobl; What is the 180 button? No I do not have the anti theft control panel. My control panel in the right arm. The key is the rear most item in that arm and the control panel, then in front of it is 3 removable plug for optional switches (at least that is what they seem to be for) and then the control panel is in front of that.

As to does it beep when the left arm is raised or lowered...I can not remember right off. It will be at least Thursday afternoon but more likely Saturday before I will be back to the machine.

So far either turning the machine off and then back on or just letting it run the control panel does light up properly and all systems begin to work. So far once it does regards of how many times that day it is switched or of how long it runs there is no more issue.

I really do appreciate both of you with the suggestions.

volvobl

on top of the joystick on your left offset button if you like. See what happens i think your dash is the same as mine like a digital readout dash

kthompson

Button on top of left joystick switches form the superstructure rotating to the boom only. Button on top of right is horn. Yes display is digital and mode button you can have either hyd pressure displayed or engine rpms or hours on machine think that is all. The fuel shows all the time also in digital with vertical bars at the rear or right side of the display. Has warning of flashes to point of will shut down machine if engine oil pressure gets too low or temp gets too hot. All I remember right off.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Kthompson maybe a picture would help resolve any issues.....

kthompson

Stock, that is not only a good idea but a great one.

Here are the steps:
Honey, can I borrow your camera to take some pictures.
Oh, of the excavator.
Thanks.

Snap snap snap.

Hey son in law who writes program code, can you help me down load some pictures.
Of excvator.
Cause some friends want to help me.
Who want so to see pictures of machines? Football games, computers yes but machines?

father in law why do I have lumps on my head?

You men, nice picutes, here is the problem.

OK, all steps are not required but close.

Stock, that really is a good idea. Should be able to do so this weekend.

stock

Occupation
Stock, that is not only a good idea but a great one.

Here are the steps:
Honey, can I borrow your camera to take some pictures.
Oh, of the excavator.
Thanks.

Snap snap snap.

Hey son in law who writes program code, can you help me down load some pictures.
Of excvator.
Cause some friends want to help me.
Who want so to see pictures of machines? Football games, computers yes but machines?

father in law why do I have lumps on my head?

You men, nice picutes, here is the problem.

OK, all steps are not required but close.

Stock, that really is a good idea. Should be able to do so this weekend.

And my other half accuses me of being dottie and rambling.....

kthompson

I trust this works this time. If not may really have to get son in law to do it. :(

Your help is appreciated.

This about whipped me. I sure trust those pictures are there. For some reason pictures that had been edited would not upload for me. I do have more pictures if they are needed but think these show the control panel very well. There is a switch with light symbol on it to the right. I added it for a fan in the cab.

Attachments

• P9250074_edited.jpg
    P9250074_edited.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 4,217
  • P9250078.jpg
    P9250078.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 4,055
Last edited:

volvobl

that dash is identical to my ec 35. Try and put a different live wire at the bottom of the sealed unit and see if the problem is still there if it works there is a dodgy wire coming from the key! if not then your back to square 1. They are a very good digger i wouldnt part with my ec 35 mine is a 2001 model 6000 hours on it a couple of fanbelts and hydraulic hoses and a seal on top of the slew pump and looks briliant for its age

Attachments

• ec 35 cwm biga.jpg
    ec 35 cwm biga.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 3,254

kthompson

I pulled my excavator out yesterday from shelter to drain the engine oil. Ran into a problem with tools and machine got caught in thunder storm. The control panel had been fine when crank to move it for pictures and oil change...today following thunder storm it was cut off and back on and let idle and such for about 15 minutes before the display went to working properly. It just might be in the ignition switch. Will try cleaning those contacts next week.

This is a nice anti thief system.

kthompson

Stock, trust my post on taking pictures did not offend, if so sorry. The taking of pictures was easy but learning how to post here..about got me.

stock

Occupation
Stock, trust my post on taking pictures did not offend, if so sorry. The taking of pictures was easy but learning how to post here..about got me.

????????????????????????????

kthompson

Stock, My step by step on asking to use my wife's camera and so forth.

THe asking to borrow her camera I knew was no issue but the posting it was my concern and proved to be well founded. Such to me is easy...if you do it often. Which I don't.

I did not think it offended you but wanted to be about 23% sure.

stock

Occupation
Stock,
I did not think it offended you but wanted to be about 23% sure .

Hardly good enough you know, now that your awake it should be "ta be shure ta be shure:D:D:bash

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Stock, My step by step on asking to use my wife's camera and so forth.

THe asking to borrow her camera I knew was no issue but the posting it was my concern and proved to be well founded. Such to me is easy...if you do it often. Which I don't.

I did not think it offended you but wanted to be about 23% sure.

Spoken as a true Southern Gentlemen KT. :cool:

Now stock...I ain't gonna' let ya' start learnin' a fellow southerner how to speak the Irish ta be shure, ain't gonna' let ya'! :tong :D