1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Continuing education classes/seminars for fleet mechanics??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by RLU_tech, Jan 24, 2016.

1. RLU_tech

RLU_tech Well-Known Member

Mechanic
    I work for a municipality with a very diverse fleet of medium/heavy trucks, tractors, excavators, graders, dozer, rollers, wheel loaders, etc. I am one of four mechanics in the fleet maintenance department. The leadership says they want to offer training to their employees, but little has been offered since I've been working there (4 years). I would like to get some ideas of where I could locate some training courses/seminars for our mechanics to periodically keep us "up to date". Specifically, I would love some general training on the tier 4 emissions and SCR systems found on today's heavy duty trucks. If anyone could steer me in the right direction, that'd be great. Thanks.

funwithfuel likes this.
  2. ScottAR

ScottAR Senior Member

Hit up your parts suppliers. Many parts suppliers offer short courses. I work in the auto aftermarket and our suppliers offer courses several times a year. Usually after hours but they buy dinner. My company will foot the bill for me so I go to as many as I'm able.

funwithfuel likes this.
  3. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

As scott said lots of parts places and dealers have classes they offer. Our local cat dealer offer customers classes for a fee.

4. kirchnerk

kirchnerk New Member

Same with nowing75 - Our cat dealer does the same. I'd give that a try.

5. RLU_tech

RLU_tech Well-Known Member

Mechanic
    We did some Napa classes which are very detailed, but are geared towards automotive. I guess I will ask around to some of the vendors.

6. 51cub

51cub Active Member

semi retired
    I would say dealers first. Community colleges are another possibility. CT has a program they call Technology Transfer Center. It's more for the road crew than fleet maintenance, but you can look to see if WI has anything like it

7. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

The local NAPA I used to use had air brake seminars at least, some others geared toward class 8 trucks, which was nice.

8. Bell901

Bell901 New Member

Hi there. It's really importnatn question in present days. It's really great that you are interested in education. it's commendable that you care about your future and think ahead about good experience. But if you want to get a good education you should engage in self-development and maybe ask for help professionals like https://pro-papers.com/gb/engineering-writing-service and then you will definitely can get some general training on the tier 4 emissions and SCR systems found on today's heavy duty trucks

9. Ruger_556

Ruger_556 Well-Known Member

Vision Hi Tech training in Kansas, I went this year and will be going back next year. It's about $600 for 4 days, you can check out the classes they offered this year here http://visionkc.com/?area=attendee&section=training

Also check with local Dealers, local Freightliner partnered with Cummins to put on a free 2 hour emissions class that I went to last week.