1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Continental L head serial numbers

Discussion in 'Generators/Gensets' started by TMJD, Jul 28, 2021.

1. TMJD

TMJD Active Member

Didn't know which forum to post in so I picked this one because its sort of related to generators/welders. I have a 1945 Lincoln SA 200 welder with a continental F-162, and I'm try to figure out the year the engine was made to see if it's original. The serial number is 31370 stamped on the block and what appears to be a cast date of 1-16-Q or O on the right side of the block. There's also a rebuilt tag from Lincoln Electric on the block that says it was overhauled on the date of 12-53, bored out .040, std on the main and on the rod journals, and is also stamped 31370.
    I don't know if continental used the the same numbering system that International used back in the 1940's and 1950's but I have an IH 113 cid power unit that the last character ended in the letter "A" which relates to the year 1955, could this be true for the continental engine also, being that the letter "Q" would be 1947?

2. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

You mite try over at the welding web forum. I dont understand why they wanted every thing to be a secret.