• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Considering buying a 287B to replace my T200 good or bad option

CollinMaune

I currently have a 2001 T200 high flow with 2900 hours it runs good and really haven't had any issues other then it could use some paint touch up. Recently my family bought another piece of land and I plan on building a new shop and house out there. I am wanting to upgrade machines to something that is a little newer and easier for my dad (6' 300 lb's ) to get in and out of. It won't get ran everyday but want something to be able to using a brush cutter attachment and do some site work here and there. Would I be better off sticking with the T200 or going to the 287B or another machine I am not thinking about

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
From a maintenance standpoint I would stay away from any Cat MTL (machines ending in 7). If you want to upgrade I would make it more of an upgrade and that swap would not make sense to me. CAT's ingress and egress sucks, door doesn't open wide enough, step in is awkward and seating position for me is uncomfortable and I am 6.0' and 230. Not sure what your willing to spend to upgrade, your BC is probably worth 12-15K. I found that era of BC machines to be loud and underpowered. A BC 650 would be an actual upgrade in performance and comfort. The CASE TR310 has the widest opening door and lowest step into the machine and it doesn't have a DPF or SCR. All comes back to what you want to spend to upgrade.

heymccall

I'm partial to the Kubota CTL machines. We has an SVL75 & an SVL75-2. In addition, we have 2 Takeuchi TL150 machines.
The Takeuchis have been good, but the Kubotas have been even better.

Number one favorite feature is the self storing windshield (overhead, like an excavator).
2ndly, I know my Takeuchis inside out, but spend very little time keeping the Kubotas running.
Dirt infiltration of the HVAC box is the only downside to my Kubotas.

And, you can keep your swinging entry door machines, as, no matter what, the damned thing is in the way, whether running wheel saws, or connecting hoses, or working on it.

ianjoub

And, you can keep your swinging entry door machines, as, no matter what, the damned thing is in the way, whether running wheel saws, or connecting hoses, or working on it.
On my 287b I trimmed one of the hinge pins about 1" shorter than the other. I can remove and install my door in about 5 seconds. It is only in the way if I leave it in the way.

heymccall

On my 287b I trimmed one of the hinge pins about 1" shorter than the other. I can remove and install my door in about 5 seconds. It is only in the way if I leave it in the way.

Yup, and, we've lost or crushed the bypass jumper several times, damaged the wiper arm and/ or motor shaft several times, damaged the door seal, lost the clip for the gas shock, broken the end of the gas shock, and even broken the glass, all in the name of removing and storing the door, which comes off in 15 seconds. No thanks.

Ironically, I find the visibility tremendously better in my Kubotas than in any of the Cat CTLs that I've been in.

ianjoub

Yup, and, we've lost or crushed the bypass jumper several times, damaged the wiper arm and/ or motor shaft several times, damaged the door seal, lost the clip for the gas shock, broken the end of the gas shock, and even broken the glass, all in the name of removing and storing the door, which comes off in 15 seconds. No thanks.

Ironically, I find the visibility tremendously better in my Kubotas than in any of the Cat CTLs that I've been in.
Maybe that is why mine is so easy: no gas strut, no wiper, permanently jumped wires, no door seal, and have 1" polycarbonate instead of glass (yes, it is very heavy).

KSSS

Occupation
excavation

I don't think there is a machine with less visibility than a CAT. The camera if you have it helps, but depending on sun direction, dust, snow cant always depend on that. I don't see why CAT cant fix the door and make getting in and out easier. Wouldn't seem to be a big issue to resolve. Why should anyone have to take the door off? You buy a cabbed unit to have a functional cab.

heymccall

And, my only swing door (to go with above) is on a 248B Cat.
I've had 863G and 864H Bobcats. Doors didn't last for **** there, either.

CMC76

Late to chime in. But if you look at this site alone. It seems cat issues seem to be the most common. Just food for thought.

CMC76

You guys have all been on here longer than me. And no doubt run more equipment than I do.
But to me it highlights a brand when 7 of the 20 post displayed are cat issues. Followed by 3 tak/etc.
Just interesting statistically.

CollinMaune

Thanks everyone for the insight. I am still going back and forth on what I'm looking for. Price wise I want to be around 30K a local contractor farmer has a C238 with 1400 hours on it but I need to do some more checking on how the newer New hollands are holding up I know the C190 C185 had a lot of track issues.

CollinMaune

Also Has anyone ran a Komatsu CK35 or CK30 we have a local dealer here and they have a nice machine with 2000 hours with new tracks.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
My opinion for what it is worth. There were many incremental updates to the Alpha/200 series CNH machine. I had a 2012 TR320 and had handle issues, and some other problems. I traded in on a 2017 TR340 and it has been virtually problem free. The initial machines had wiring harness issues (no small problem as you had to pull the engine), they updated the harness and fixed most of the issues that plagued the first couple years. As for the tracks I replaced a roller at 1000 hours, tracks at 1200 hours and front idler at the same time as tracks on the TR320. I had a 2014 SV300 and I traded in on a SV340. The 2014 was nearly flawless to 1800 hours. The AC lines were replaced once under warranty. The SV340 has been excellent reliability as well 500 hours now and no problems. So if the NH is not a 2011-2013 I would be interested, if it did fall in those years, I would find out what has been done to it and make a decision (updated harness). As for the Komatsu, they stopped production on that machine years ago. The longer it goes, the harder it will be to find parts, and find someone that knows how to work on them, resale will only get worse. Personally I would pass on that.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You guys have all been on here longer than me. And no doubt run more equipment than I do.
But to me it highlights a brand when 7 of the 20 post displayed are cat issues. Followed by 3 tak/etc.
Just interesting statistically.
Reflecting the Cat market share for that type of machine maybe..? With a larger machine population it stands to reason that problems will come up more often.