• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Congrats Deere UAW Workers

Truck Shop

The membership is hereby reminded that HEF's policy on discussing unions is that we are aggressive in maintaining neutrality. That is to say, to post facts is fine, but to venture into posting opinions is not. It has always been recognized here, that in our industry union vs non-union discussions have a high potential for becoming heated. This is posted in the strong faith that you will all endeavor to keep that from happening.

Thanks.

Fair.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
How can you have record profits and slim margins. A profit is money earned after costs. No margin = no profit. We used to get lectures at one company about gross profit, which really should be termed as gross receipts, when the managers wanted to brag up their business prowess. It became real quiet when someone asked about net profit.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
How can you have record profits and slim margins. A profit is money earned after costs. No margin = no profit. We used to get lectures at one company about gross profit, which really should be termed as gross receipts, when the managers wanted to brag up their business prowess. It became real quiet when someone asked about net profit.
Sounds like something I actually heard in a managers meeting once. They were talking about sales of ready mix concrete. One manager said, and I quote, " We are losing a little on every yard we sell, but we will make it up in volume."
Just one of the reasons I left that company.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
From the stock analyst I follow:
"Selling all of my Deere (DE)-$335.82 for an.18.7% loss"
He bought this before the strike, when Deere posted those "record profits", so allot of investors (myself included) lost money.
Little people, retirees etc.

ChuckRock

From the stock analyst I follow:
"Selling all of my Deere (DE)-$335.82 for an.18.7% loss"
He bought this before the strike, when Deere posted those "record profits", so allot of investors (myself included) lost money.
Little people, retirees etc.

...Sounds like he bought high and sold low

ChuckRock

People are compensated based on the value they provide. Factories can train any number of people to do a certain task. There are few people who can effectively lead and manage a company.

I'm not arguing there executive leadership roles do not require high performing individuals, I am arguing they are not worth, on average, 350% more than you or I. I am arguing wage stagnation in comparison between lowest and highest earners is completely unproportionate and unreasonable. AND when **** hits the fan it is the the lowest paid, not the ones who make the decisions to keep a stable and growing business environment, who face the brunt of the consequences.

I appreciate the belief of "workshop wisdom" and how much knowledge resides in skilled and unskilled person - some of the most intelligent people I have ever met have been performing tasks you claim can be performed by anyone.

ChuckRock

I am not directing this at you Chuck.

You quoted what I said so...

If you want to drag this trout line of highest paid employees and their lineages I would bet you, dollars TO donuts, that you will find that most of them come from a well-to-do background. I would also imagine this background would be beneficial enough to provide the type of support structure that would eliminate problems like student loans, housing, child care, transportation and other realistic life expenses.

I will argue that low paid employees aren't all low achievers, they just weren't born to the right money and opportunity.

ianjoub

You quoted what I said so...

If you want to drag this trout line of highest paid employees and their lineages I would bet you, dollars TO donuts, that you will find that most of them come from a well-to-do background. I would also imagine this background would be beneficial enough to provide the type of support structure that would eliminate problems like student loans, housing, child care, transportation and other realistic life expenses.

I will argue that low paid employees aren't all low achievers, they just weren't born to the right money and opportunity.
I was not directing it at you because I know nothing about you: job, education, financial status, etc...

I find it humorous that these companies actually negotiate with the employees. I had a business at one point with 3 employees. They came to me to 'collectively bargain' with threats of I would be screwed without them. I fired them all on the spot.

ChuckRock

I was not directing it at you because I know nothing about you: job, education, financial status, etc...

I find it humorous that these companies actually negotiate with the employees. I had a business at one point with 3 employees. They came to me to 'collectively bargain' with threats of I would be screwed without them. I fired them all on the spot.

In the interest of maintaining neutrality, as requested by admins, I am all done here.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
...Sounds like he bought high and sold low
"We" wanted to loan JD money, so they could expand, invest, grow....etc. We believed in the employees, all of them.

While it did go up with the quarterly report of profits, after the strike it went down.

You don't want to see JD succeed ?

ChuckRock

"We" wanted to loan JD money, so they could expand, invest, grow....etc. We believed in the employees, all of them.

While it did go up with the quarterly report of profits, after the strike it went down.

You don't want to see JD succeed ?

Doug - I am an engine mechanic at heart. My nephews call me a fixer. I like to fix everything that can be repaired. This is cell phones and personal computers to Sheetrock and tile to 70s British cars and 2020 equipment telematics.

With my career and hobbies being out in the open - I have a very strong distaste for Deere’s credo on repairs done by third parties.However, I do not wish for them to fail by any means… even if they are direct competition.

As for investments go, usually buying at historic highs is poor form. Union contract negotiation adds another iron to the volatility stew that has been cooking for the past years.

Don’t blame your poor performing investments on workers wanting more for themselves.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Doug - I am an engine mechanic at heart. My nephews call me a fixer. I like to fix everything that can be repaired. This is cell phones and personal computers to Sheetrock and tile to 70s British cars and 2020 equipment telematics.

With my career and hobbies being out in the open - I have a very strong distaste for Deere’s credo on repairs done by third parties.However, I do not wish for them to fail by any means… even if they are direct competition.

As for investments go, usually buying at historic highs is poor form. Union contract negotiation adds another iron to the volatility stew that has been cooking for the past years.

Don’t blame your poor performing investments on workers wanting more for themselves.
I would estimate that those aforementioned union employees are at most 10% of the total employed by JD.
Why should they get raises when the company performed poorly ?

crane operator

Why should they get raises when the company performed poorly ?

My employee's get raises to keep up with inflation. If I don't give them raises, they go somewhere else, they are good guys and I enjoy having them work for me. So they get a raise when they need it.

The deere company "performing poorly" has very little to do with the guys on the line, and much more to do with the stock market ups and down. I don't have a problem at all with the investors taking the loss instead of the line guys. Just like I don't expect my employee's to take a hit on their wages, if I'm blowing the company profits in Vegas. Or I make a bad business decision.

If you don't like deere's stock prices, or the fact they have some union employee's - don't invest in them.

Truck Shop

On a different note.
Because I'm retiring in eleven months and the fact the boss is going to have Penske take over all the
work when I'm gone, the service manager for Penske showed up today to see how I manage and
schedule. He looked at the dry erase service board quickly added up the amount of equipment {170}.
Turned and looked at me and said {Only two of you, how the f2ck do you handle/get it done?}
We work a lot I said. He replied well I can tell those in the shop enjoy it now because the storm is
on it's way.

If we in America really performed the amount of work we should or say we do, everyone would be to
tired to go spend it.

muddog1975

On a different note.
Because I'm retiring in eleven months and the fact the boss is going to have Penske take over all the
work when I'm gone, the service manager for Penske showed up today to see how I manage and
schedule. He looked at the dry erase service board quickly added up the amount of equipment {170}.
Turned and looked at me and said {Only two of you, how the f2ck do you handle/get it done?}
We work a lot I said. He replied well I can tell those in the shop enjoy it now because the storm is
on it's way.

If we in America really performed the amount of work we should or say we do, everyone would be to
tired to go spend it.
Congratulations on being that close to retirement! That's a big deal in my opinion. Sounds like you have earned it for sure.