• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ConExpo

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
:) This is great... I have to wait a week before I can look at your pictures. (I'm at home where there is now: DIALUP! because cable was cancelled.)

But it's good to hear you had a great time! I'm going to try to goin '08; we'll see if my school has spring break at that time.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Couple of bits of news you can use, just at the top of mind:

1) Better make those tires last. Tire manufacturers are talking about waits of six months to a year for orders of some tire sizes. Hot construction-equipment markets all over the world are outstripping tire production capacity. Some are saying it's just the large sizes that are hard to come by, others are saying the shortage is throughout their product lines. Equipment manufacturers identify it as a serious problem. Of course, dealer inventories and sizes needed are key factors influencing when you'll be able to get tires. Either way, it's a good time to make sure you're running the proper inflation pressure and maintaining it; to keep your loading floors and haul roads clear of sharp rocks; and to keep a lid on wheelspin and other operating practices that are hard on tires.

2) Prices are going up . . . again. Steel prices remain high, and some manufacturers are growing accustomed to passing on the cost to customers. At a big Volvo Construction Equipment press conference, their CEO said they had raised prices in January and July last year, again in January this year, and probably would again in July 2005. He said if the construction equipment industry needs a leader in price increases, Volvo doesn't mind taking that role.

3) Much more new equipment to be introduced later this year. Some engine manufacturers (such as Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit) had to bring Tier 3 engines to the market in January 2004 because of the Consent Decree they signed several years ago when EPA threatened to sue them out of business over exhaust emissions "violations." Komatsu, Deere, and others who build strictly off-highway diesels, weren't affected by the Consent Decree. They are not required to issue Tier 3 diesels until Jan. 2006. They're still certifying enignes, which means they're likely to issue many machine upgrades later in the year as these new engines get certified. For example: Komatsu is still in the certifying process with its first engine to feature exhaust-gas recirculation. NOTE: JCB is bringing machines with engines designed and built in-house for the first time.

Plenty more to say about all the press conferences at the show, but I gotta work through a great heap of stuff after a week in Las Vegas. Keep an eye on the industry magazines and Web sites. We're going to be busy for a while.

On a personal note, I got out of Las Vegas for the first time in 20 years of going there for trade shows and the like. Went up to Red Rocks and the hills northeast (I think) of town. There's some beautiful country up there. Kept me sane through what can be a relentless 7-day grind in Sin City.

Adios,

L