• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

concrete walls

CaT1029

i dont know exactly where this fits in but here goes, i am looking for what people charge for concrete walls, 4 ft, 8 ft, and 9ft walls. a price per linear foot is what im looking for. also what exactly does that include, footer, how much re-bar?anything of that nature that makes a big difference in your linear price. also what sort of profit margin are you getting/shooting for when you do such a job? i have some rough numbers together but i am looking to see what the other prices are, i dont want to charge $60-80/ft when other guys are getting say $120/ft or if they are charging $50/ft. basically i am looking for any sort of price input to help me get a general idea of where the market is at. thank you for any input:usa

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Yours is difficult question for a $$$ per foot answer. Each concrete wall will be engineer designed for a specific application, surcharge load and prevailing soil conditions. The preparation of sub-footing, thickness of the concrete, steel etc vary with every job....and the preparation of the footing will also vary to the soil type. Then you have drainage, waterproofing and backfill requirements. This is why I never ever work in lineal costs, I don't talk these figures with clients and avoid getting in the habit of even thinking about it. Its the same with block walls, everybody wants to talk per block.

I understand that you just want to get a rough handle and I'm sure someone may be able to give you some figures...but thats all they are.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I am not a poured wall contractor but I have hired a few. The last walls I got poured were 10FT tall, 10" wide up to the brick ledge. Just the labor and the panels were $3.25 per SF. So a 10' wall would be $32.50 per LF of wall. Rebar, concrete, concrete pump, footings, waterproofing, gravel backfill and drainage pipe are all extra. This was last November so I am sure the price has went up.

For residential purposes, a 10" wall 10' tall with #4 rebar 12" each way with #4 dowels spaced 12" apart in the footing is pretty standard. Anything above 10' usually needs to be engineered.

Hope this helps.

CaT1029

thanks for your replies. i myself am not a fan of the linear pricing but this is what the building gc is asking of me, i was thinking of giving him a price along the lines of what was mentioned above, just the labor and panels. so far theres only 4ft walls for additions and garages and such so its not getting into anything commercial or even a whole house yet, hopefully the business will lead that way someday down the road though. i would much rather go look at the job and bid it specifically then give him a linear price, but he needs some sort of numbers from me so that when he is bidding on general contracting all the jobs he doesnt have to constantly be calling me to go look at them before he can even give a price on them. :usa

CaT1029

iron kid, whats does that 4 ft wall price include? i have $30/ft figured for just labor alone, how long does it take to complete the wall? i have mine figured for 2 guys, 2.5 days and thats from footer prep all the way through to wall strip. i am not saying that the price is wrong or mine is wrong, im just curious how it came to that number. any input is appreciated, thanks :usa

wacker

Most concrete contractors I work with charge by the yard of concrete for walls and footers. The average I see is around $190 a yard for 8' walls then any steel, windows, sleeves cost more. This price is for average size basement.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Welcome to the Forums wacker!:drinkup

That's is interesting how they charge by the CY for walls, I have never heard of that way of pricing. Since they charge by the CY, I guess they include the concrete in their price as well? Is that price per CY for an 8" or 10" wall?

Just curious.

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
4 foot by 8inch wall i charge 26 foot per running foot and that is concrete footing and labor i count each corner as two feet
No rock, digging, or tile

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
i price it both ways and i can almost always get the same # with in 100$ add 3$ per 2inch of width

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Yep that price includes concrete 8" or 10" wall. Price includes bolts and ties.

If I am understanding the pricing correctly, the CY price is the same for 8" or 10" walls, why would anyone choose an 8" wall?:beatsme

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Had a long day yesterday with employee issues, avatar's being stolen:rolleyes: and the like. Anyway this is what I meant:

Take an average wall 8' tall, 30' long: For the sake of illustration no waste factor included.
Cost
8" Wide 5.96 CY $190 Per CY $1,131.56
10" Wide 7.38 CY $190 Per CY $1,401.78

There would only be $370 or so difference in the cost of the wall. If it was me, I would pay the extra for a 10" wall, but I assume there are those penny pinchers out there.:beatsme

Last edited:

danielm

I am not a poured wall contractor but I have hired a few. The last walls I got poured were 10FT tall, 10" wide up to the brick ledge. Just the labor and the panels were $3.25 per SF. So a 10' wall would be $32.50 per LF of wall. Rebar, concrete, concrete pump, footings, waterproofing, gravel backfill and drainage pipe are all extra. This was last November so I am sure the price has went up.

For residential purposes, a 10" wall 10' tall with #4 rebar 12" each way with #4 dowels spaced 12" apart in the footing is pretty standard. Anything above 10' usually needs to be engineered.

Hope this helps.

What size footer would be placed under that wall?

I'm digging out for a 8" wide 8' tall wall and a 8"x16" footer was suggested. It's sitting on rock so it may be sufficient. Also, they suggested #4, 24"oc in the wall which I thought was kinda light on the steel.

danielm

It should always be big enough to need a rockbreaker, undermine an existing wall, require relocation of a gas main and hit the water and sewer:Banghead:Banghead:(

Ha. Fortunately, the biggest threat is cow manure at the site. No chance of hitting anything else. Other than rock...

Last edited by a moderator:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
For a 9'-10' wall, code in my neck of the woods is 24" wide by 8" deep, although we usually go a foot deep.

Code around here calls for 2-#4 continuous in the footing, I put 4-#4's with the good sturdy chairs every 6' or so for good support. Overlap the rebar 24 bar diameters or 12" for #4.

I agree that 24" EW in the wall is a little light. I like go 12" EW in the wall. Even with the current price of steel, it is cheap insurance.

Squizzy - you forgot about the "unmarked" fibre optical cable.:Banghead:cool: