• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Concrete sealer?

Truck Shop

Gutting the basement and need to seal the concrete walls, what's the best thing to use?

colson04

If you have moisture coming in through the concrete walls, the best method is to dig down to the footings, wash the walls and seal the exterior with an exterior foundation sealer. They are usually tar based. We have a lot of heavy clay soil around here coupled with a high water table. I've helped dig up a couple basements in the past, power wash the walls, let them dry a couple days, and then apply foundation sealer. Certainly not the fastest method, but it stops the moisture intrusion. I have used kilz for a lot of applications, but I haven't sealed interior basement walls with it yet.

Delmer

that's a loaded question, in the "East" we like to do like Colson described, then add platon membrane and 2" foam while you're there, and drain tile and gravel at the footer obviously.

In Eastern Washington, you may get away with skipping that if the site is right, and the ground slopes away from the house. No sealer that goes inside can be as effective as one on the outside, but maybe you don't need much?

The Kilz that smells is probably the original shellac based primer. Kilz has turned into a brand name for lots of different primers, several would probably work for what you want, but know what you're getting.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Kilz has a Concrete sealant last time I was thru the paint section at Lowes. Do not know why looked at that but saw it. Also had a five gallon pail sized "DryLock" concrete sealant/anti-mildew.

Ct Farmer

Had good results with Drylock on walls that were always damp and leaky in the basement. Smell was intense though and would be sure to do it when you can ventilate.

Used 2 coats of the “Drylock Extreme” and no more water. Walls are not damp and the dehumidifier runs less.