• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Concrete Crushing ????

Aussie Leroy

I need some advice, Mobile Jaw or Impact crusher.

We recycle concrete/bricks etc for about 6 years, We ran Komatsu 380 Jaw crushers and it worked well I sold this unit 12months ago.I'm Looking to start crushing again and a few blokes have been saying mobile impact crushers are the go in stead of the jaw,I would like to buy a machine around 30 ton mark any coments.
Thanks Leroy :)

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I'd have a jaw if it was my money and concrete. Impactors don't like re bar hat much but jaw crushers seem to just keep chewing. Not sure about impactors but most decent jaw crushers that size are reversible when it gets jammed. My pick of the bunch would be a sandvik or extec (pretty much the same with different paint)

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
jaws are cheaper to run impactors have a lot higher wear costs

JDOFMEMI

A jaw works good for many applications. One of the problems with a mobile jaw for a recycle application is that the clearance from the bottom of the jaw to the discharge belt is too short to allow a very big piece of rebar to make the turn, and the best case is a time consuming jam up, while the worst is a torn belt.
Look for a unit with more clearance underneath, and if possible the discharge belt exiting the to the side instead of the rear. I don't think you can find this on a track mount, but I have seen portables set up that way and it really helps by giving the width of the crusher plus the lower clearance for the steel to make a turn without causing problems.

Using the track mount you gain mobility, but sacrifice production. At some point if you are busy enough and running a lot of tonnage it makes sense to use a portable and a larger loader to feed it. Then you can get by with less pre crusher preperation, and a well run operation can double or more the production of a track machine. This comes with a price and a lack of mobility, but with volume, that is overcome by the production.

Another thing is with a side discharge set up it is easier to get the magnet placed properly in line with the material flow instead of across the belt trying to pick steel up through the pile of crushed material.

JLsanzaro

hey guys. the one thing that is good about jaws is that the maintenance cost are lower. but for a mobile unit i would definitely recommend and impactor for concrete. i wouldn't worry about rebar being an issue. i have a a good labor that has been crushing with me for a couple years now and we run anywhere from 800 to 1000 tons a day without any rebar jamming the belt. the mobile jaws that i have ran have the discharge belt directly under the jaw and have had rebar come from the jaw and rip the belt. i currently run an extec impactor and it has a pan feeder that feeds the material from the impactor box to the discharge so that nothing falls directly on the belt. also if you are going to make inch minus material you really can't do it with a jaw you would need and impactor. i run 2 330s on my jobs one with hammer and one with a bucket to load. with the hammer i usually get all the long rebar out before processing any material.

heres a pic from a couple weeks ago. 4 days of crushing, no belt jams i did 3000 tons on this job and scrapped 6 tons of rebar
Crusher.jpg

big04cummins

I've always had good luck with impactors. The company I work for currently runs a Metso Lokotrak LT1213S that has a screening deck and recycle conveyor which allows for very good sizing control on the material you're producing. I've also run a Terex-Pegson 4242SR which also had a screen deck and recycle both are in the 50-55 ton range and will produce around 150 ton an hour in a concrete recycle application.

Are there certain brands that would be better to look for than others as far as maintenance? I have experience with extec and got to see a rubble master in action one time as well. I heard with jaws if the toggle plate gets messed up it can be a big headache are there some machines designed better/stronger in this area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Ive only needed to change a few toggle plates... seems to only cause problems when the machines are abused. they are fairly straight forward to change if needed. as for the best type, size and application changes the answer.
one mans best will always be another mans worst!

JLsanzaro

most jaws I've seen were the same with changing toggles jaw plates, cheek plates etc. i saw an impactor one time that you were able to change the bars by sliding them out from the side of the box, i think it was an eagle. I've seen some videos on the new sandvic crusher that has a twist lock type shoe to hold the bars in place and had a jib to hold the bars. big money machine though

Aussie Leroy

simonsrplant/clintm; Yair about 6 months back I brought a Metso tracked screener and a Metso tracked jaw crusher all working well together, I will put some pics up soon, pulverizer on the Cat 330 preps the concrete perfectly we have very little blockages
Cheers Leroy

tctractors

The Sandvik-Extec Jaw Crushers are very common in the U.K. with the C12+ holding a good reputation, the re-bar issue should be sorted well before it gets poked into the Grissly feeder hopper??? the Crusher that gets used on the tough rock and the U.K. has some stone that makes Crushers turn to scrap is the Kleemann toggle jaw unit, it can crush Cannon Balls, I dont know if they are sold Globaly, but all the top outfits use them here.
tctractors

CrusherGuy

I would never recommend the use of a jaw on recycling. I have been around crushers for 20+ years and have been crushing concrete for the last 7 years with our impact crushers. Impact crushers have absolutely no issues with re-bar or steel, the upper and lower aprons are designed to open when large pieces of steel are in the chamber. I currently run a Kleemann MR130 Z and have no concerns putting 8 foot pieces of re-bar in it or pieces of pipe from fence posts. I run 10hr days and average 1800t per day.

@tctractor yes Kleemann is available in North America

Alex Wang

Occupation
Mining Machinery
Generally speaking, jaw crusher is always used as primary crushing equipment in stone crushing plant, you should choose suitable stone crusher either jaw crusher or impact crusher according to your the input size of concrete and bricks as well as the needed discharging output size range. Wish you early find your needed machinery

CaptainAnalyzer

Occupation
Young business owner
Jaw crusher over an impactor any day, they are a ton more forgiving. Impactor blow bars arent cheap and are a pain to constantly flip/replace. We have had nothing but issues with a Tier 4 Terex/Finlay I-130RS, our Telsmith 3258 jaw crusher w/Cat C9 is a fantastic unit. Upside to the impactor is that it has a screening plant installed as a part of it, where as the Telsmith requires a Terex/Finlay 693 or equivalent screening plant to sift material coming from the jaws, causing two machines to burn diesel fuel/break down/blow hyd lines. Depending on your needs I would lean more towards a jaw type crusher.