• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

concrete crushing

Randy88

I wanted to rent one of those here and when I told the guy how many loads I had to do he told me to not come and even try it, I'd be at it for months and very unhappy with its performance and output, I asked if they made one bigger and he told me no they didn't, this was my original idea but so far everyone has told me to think of something else with more size capability and output per hour. I've even asked about the ones that fit onto an excavator and was told the same thing, for what they cost and how long it would take, its still not cost effective to recycle it.

I'm thinking more towards what CMSMOKE described for a crusher, I've seen a few that were just sold on auctions but missed them and have my eye out for some coming up. For fill material to be used inside under concrete to be poured later I wouldn't even have to sort it out at all just reduce it to about 2-4 inch and dump it back in as fill material.

OBPM

There is a company called Red Rhino that makes a larger skid steer crusher that claims to have an output of 20 t.p.h. The sell for around $35,000. They also have a track unit at 45 t.p.h. for about $100,000 more.

http://www.redrhinocrushers.com/

Did you try jwjonescompany.com or rrequipment.com or grindercrusherscreen.com?

CMSMOKE

We had a grunt pick out as much as possible during dig out or after dumping/piling. A torch or cut off saw was always part of the equipment. Long chunks of rebar were cut off of concrete clusters and removed before crushing. The smaller pieces of rebar didn't hurt anything in the crusher. You had to watch that a stray long piece didn't fall out of the crusher and cut the conveyor belt. A man could pick the smalls off of the belt or you could mount a magnet on the end. Steel mill slag reclamation plants do this all the time, not for rebar, but for other scrap used in the process.

Randy88

CM was it a put together unit on a chassis with the engine right on it or was it pieced together and a skid type unit with a separate power unit. I've been told the dimensions of the material need to be smaller than the smallest opening or for a 10x24 jaw stuff would need to be no bigger than about 8 inches square or it wouldn't feed in at all?

OBPM, I've looked at the smaller red rhino unit but hadn't seen the larger one, any of the used machines on the websites were still over my budget, by about 100k or more, this is a small type operation with low overhead, I was thinking maybe something along CM's line on a chassis for under 20k if possible but maybe thats not even realistic, seen a few sell on auctions [too late of course] and they don't bring much, they are too small for anyone else's needs I've been told but are hard to find none the less. Thanks for the replies guys and taking the time to offer advice and input.

CMSMOKE

The crusher and power unit were on the same skid. It weight about 10 tons. We lifted it onto a trailer, when we had to move it. It was also overwidth, so a permit was legally needed. The conveyor had a pintle loop on it for towing.
The material only needed to fit in on direction. In other words if you had a small slab, say 8" thick x 18" wide. It could be 20 feet long if you could feed it in right. Generally speaking, once you dump slowly onto a chute, the pieces would automatically slide down flat and drop right in. If you tried to put something in that was close to the 10" size of the jaw opening the piece would slide up and down with the jaws. If you left it sit there long enough or added some more material, it may or may not catch and go through. You were better off to fish it out at that point. Size your crusher to the largest thickness you may come across. Almost everything we did was 10" thick or less.
Sometimes you needed to hoe ram them smaller. Large crushers sometimes have a hoe ram mounted right on the crusher others you can set up with a machine mounted one and reach in to remedy the situation. You could roll the stuck piece around with a bar and get it through, but that is very dangerous and not recommended.
We tried to hammer the material to a size that didn't damage a truck bed when loading out. That helped to make sure that it fit in the crusher and helped with rebar removal as well.

Last edited:

Randy88

Thanks for the explanation it helps a lot, I was needing something a little bigger than 10x24. A few have told me to get a larger primary crusher and then use a smaller jar afterwards but thats getting too pricey and into too much crusher for my needs. I'll keep looking for something to come along, it will eventually, I just need to be there when it does. Again thanks for reply.

Sparkie

They have some Superior stuff on their channel too grandpa. Made in our home state, my home town in fact. They also make crushers but probably a bit big for what you're looking for ***

grandpa

They have some Superior stuff on their channel too grandpa. Made in our home state, my home town in fact. They also make crushers but probably a bit big for what you're looking for ***
I know the Superior line quite well Sparky. I own a Superior built crusher and all my converyors are Superior. In 1973 I bought two 1970 Ford Louisville trucks from Wayne Schmidgall , and a couple years later purchased a superior conveyor constructed by Wayne.s son Neil. I also had some warrenty work performed on some Superior equipment which was performed by Neil's son Paul, who I believe is the president of Superior today.

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Probably overkill for your job, but just to show how we have been doing it on our job. We used these guys to come in and break it antigoconstruction.com and then we used one of our 345b's to pull the rebar out (alot of it).

Sparkie

I know the Superior line quite well Sparky. I own a Superior built crusher and all my converyors are Superior. In 1973 I bought two 1970 Ford Louisville trucks from Wayne Schmidgall , and a couple years later purchased a superior conveyor constructed by Wayne.s son Neil. I also had some warrenty work performed on some Superior equipment which was performed by Neil's son Paul, who I believe is the president of Superior today.

Indeed he is. Paul bought the company from Neil shortly after Neil bought it back from Aztec. Those were the bad years.. My old man used to haul conveyors out of there all the time and when Aztec owned it it wasn't uncommon to find handfuls of nuts and bolts that had rattled loose. Neil lost alot in that move but the quality jumped right back up. Working at the co-op in town I've had a chance to talk to him alot and he's nothing but a great guy.

Eco-Crusher

Hey guys, I am Larry the guy who bought the 1st Jaw crusher bucket in North America back in 2005 for my construction company here in NJ. I started the company Eco-Crusher soon after have sold and serviced 80% of all Jaw crusher buckets in the US to date so i hope this information is helpful. This thread was awesome to read and mostly true and sorry i did not come across it earlier. Jaw bucket crushers are slow but can be efficient when put into the correct application. They are good in about 40% of the jobs from what I have seen. The guys who use have them in the correct application are making bank as much as the guys who are not are loosing money daily. I turn away as many customers as we take in becasue they do not have the correct appication and it will end up coming back on us somehow.

The main thing you should all consider before anything is the application your putting it in. Second is the machine and third would be production needed. Machine size, material size going in and out put setting determines tons per hour which in turn gives you cost per ton. You are correct that you might only get 200 tons crushed in one day, but if your total cost was $1000 it only cost you $5 a ton. Cutting out the transport is one major key to sucess when onsite processing of materials.

You should all know that even though the JAW was first to market it is not the best represention of bucket crushers. There are other styles to consider and technology has came a long way. The Rotary bucket crushers are a much newer and higher prodution machines. I will not make this a sales pitch by any means but look up the CBE50 VS the BF120 on youtube and watch the head to head comparisons. I can say that in my construction company we run a CBE50 on a 485 and get about 150 CY an HR crushing asphalt, bricks and debris mixed with dirt. Clean 4000psi concrete is about 90CY an HR down to 3" minus. We figure it is costing us about $2 a ton to crush onsite with the rotary crusher which is awesome considering it was costing us about $10 a ton to just haul it away and get rid of it. We then screen it to 1" minus for parking lots and road bedding and the oversized we use for construction entrances and soft spots on the jobs which adds about another $1.5 per ton still well below purchase price. These units are the bomb if your looking for the highest prodution of size reduction. Ecocrusher1 is the youtube channel which has over 20 videos which can be very telling of the products available today. We still use the original BF90 #250 in our company to this date and it has paid for itself many times over. We mostly now just use it for crushing 1" minus onsite for smaller jobs.

There are also skid steer models and mini excavator models that put out about 100 ton a day which is not alot but again if your cost for the day is $500 you are at about $5 a ton which is cheaper then hauling it away. PLease feel free to ask any and all questions about crusher buckets and or any onsite processing of material. We are contractors 1st that happen to also have a company that sells what we use and believe.

DGODGR you are very knowlegable and have surely done your homework. LARRY

Randy88

Ok questions for Eco crusher, not looking for a sales pitch per say but tell us more about the skid steer, backhoe/loader version and how to adjust it for different size material and how large of material you can dump in it to crush, next how much rebar can it handle and what size rebar, also how about cables and mesh type reinforcing will it do that as well or just wrap up on the rotary drum. Next why is the rotary better for concrete and rebar vs the jaw.

ror76a

Eco crusher, I would like to hear more about the rotary crusher. What kind of performance would you expect from one that a 25 ton excavator could run? Also what is the cost range (purchase price and wear items) for a crusher like this? or at least an idea of how much.

Thanks

Eco-Crusher

Hey guys,

Sorry I am on the road alot and don't log onto these forums often enough.

Randy, Thanks for the questions and they are good ones at that. You seem to be very knowledable and hands on. I would like to first point out you are asking about the CB line for SS & loaders and not the CBE line which I referred to above which is much stronger because of the amount of additional pressures and flows on an excavator. OK so the CB line; The size adjustments are not as easy or convenient as the Jaw, cylinder style or an impactor. It can be changed by changing the bars that the teeth push between. This takes about 20 minutes depending on which size unit.
If you have a 24" rotor you should try to get the material going in down to 50% of that or 12" minus in this case for a feed product. The CB line can handle rebar but you need your machine to meet the MAX end of the specs and not the MIN or you will not have the power to snap it. Most of these SS and loader models handle the #4 bar and the larger ones I have seen handle the #5 bar but i have not had anything bigger to date. Cables are not ideal and i would always recomend a JAW if your in a cable situation. A great example would be concrete RR ties which have prestressed cables in them. I have not even tried the CB line on them and always go directly to the JAW when someone has these.
Mesh is not really an issue because it breaks easy. You might have some get around the rotor but as you crush more concrete you break and push that out and new replaces it but it is not a problem. The most I have experiences was having to cut some off with a torch after a few days of running it and that took about 5 minutes with no damage. The key to keeping the rotor cler is when you are going for another bucket you should run it in reverse. this allows the cleaning blades to unwind the products in question. The more regimented you are with that, the less a concern it becomes.
Next why is the rotary better for concrete and rebar vs the jaw. I never really said it was better and sorry if i came across that way, just different and most times more cost effective. The rumor is that a rotary can not handle any rebar so i refer to youtube so you can clearly see that is not true. I can tell you that when we go head to head for comparison with the JAW and Rotary the Rotary did out perform the JAW each time. But realize we were putting them through some very tough situations and it so happens the results were what they were. I will say that the JAW definately cleans every drop of concrete off the rebar and barely marks the rebar at all when set to the correct discharge size. The JAW is awesome on concrete RR ties. The Rotary can handle way more variables such as real life jobsite conditions like dirt and wood and roots mixed in with the concrete which absolutly slows the JAW to nothing. I hope this helps

Eco-Crusher

ror76a,
That machine is right in between running a CBE30 or a CBE40, depending on your machines hydraulics. Remember I am not here to sell so I really don't want to go against the rules of the forum. I can talk about application and experience all day long I believe. I can say these units probably rannge from $55k to $75K. you would have to contact the company for that information. I saw a cat 325 with a CBE30 getting over 50 tons an hour when i was first looking into these units. I had done the math back then and the customer told me his cost was under 600 euros a day (under $900) and producing about 265 cubic meters (500t) a day. After I did the conversion I believe his cost was about $2 a ton but I don't remember exactly. In our contruction company it is still costing me about $2 a ton with the CBE50 and wear cost we ussually add at least 15 cents a ton for wear cost. If you do contact www.ecocrusher.com I can help you with much more details.

Randy88

Eco-crusher, thanks for the reply, excellent post and explanation, what are the specifications and weight on the skid steer model, just out of curiosity, and when your talking about wear items and cost what are the wear items on a jaw, I'd think just the opposite would be true, there is virtually nothing to replace but the jaws on a jaw crusher and there are a lot more moving parts on a rotary crusher, not only in contact to material but also behind the sheet metal as well. When you replace the rotary parts do they come off the shaft or just replace the entire rotor and put in new, what parts are replaceable and what are not? Also on both the excavator and skid steer models do they have drive gear boxes to run the rotors or chains, what is there to fix and replace and how much maintenance is there to one. Also are the rotors hard surfaced or made of AR steel or something for added wear protection and what is the life expectancy to a rotor and set of stripper plates?

Yes I do have some hands on experience, I own and operate the equipment and also fix it daily, the repair is more important to me than the output, I can handle less output if repairing is easier and cheaper, so I like to know what there is to it and how it works so to speak to save me headaches later on down the road of life.