• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Concrete crushing in the mid 80's.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
In Texas, concrete crushing/recycling was pretty new back in the mid 80's. A company out of Michigan, Molesworth Construction, somehow got the contract to clean up the old Greater Southwest Airport, after DFW went into operation. Somehow, they made some deal with my employer, then the deal went south and my company ended up owning a concrete crusher and a massive pile of concrete in north Dallas. I was assigned the task of getting the operation going, and cleaning up the mountain of concrete dumped, but not crushed. We had quite a spread of old Pioneer equipment, a couple of older loaders, and a Terex C6 dozer. We got it done, but boy was it a chore. Here are a couple of photos from back then. As usual, you have to click on each one, and they will not show up until you do that. Something must be wrong with my slide scanner program.

Attachments

• concrete crusher 1.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 56
  • concrete crusher 2.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 49
  • concrete crusher 5.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 51
  • concrete crusher3.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 50

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Thanks for sharing.

Tell us more about the plant setup. Primary jaw crusher into an impact crusher with a cone in the mix?

I've been doing a lot of research on a mobile crushing operation that we could crush concrete at our own yard for re-sale and contract crush for other contractors.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I don't remember a lot about the crusher setup. I do know we had a big jaw for the primary. It was necessary to have a big drop under the primary jaw, so the concrete and steel would seperate out on the primary belt. The biggest improvement we made was to install a magnet belt, 90 degrees across the top of the primary belt. This tossed all the big rebar and steel mesh out to a big dumpster at the side. I believe we then ran all the material into a portable impactor/screening plant. I am certain we did not have a cone, and the oversize just went back into the impactor. I know for a fact that there are some very compact concrete recycling plants now on the market. Most seem to be track mounted. We had a monster plant, but in the end it did a good job and we sold everything we could produce. I think we made 3 different size products. A company called Big City Concrete, has crushers running in Dallas, Ft. Worth, and Lewisville, Tx. They seem to sell everything they can make.
I think this is a business to get into, if you can afford to gear up for it. Finding a good location, plus getting all the correct permits from the state are also major factors to consider. If your rig is a track mounted portable, I think permits are much easier to obtain.
Jeff

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Thanks for the info MM.

The big question I've run into so far is jaw or impact crusher for concrete recycling.

Looking at a track mounted crusher and track mounted screen plant. We have a great location to stockpile and crush just outside of our downtown area where there is a constant flow of concrete demo looking for a place to dump.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I would vote for a jaw, but, I really do not have any experience with a primary impact. I guess you would need to talk to people in the business to see what they prefer, and why. I am sure each has it's advantages.
Jeff