• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Computer security settings question

dieseldave

I had some computer issues and had to do a restore. Now I can't sign in to some of the sites I have accounts with- ie Facebook and Snapfish. I got in here fine (obviously lol) and into my Yahoo and Ebay accounts. What do I have to change to get into snapfish and FB?

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp

dieseldave

I don't know what you would have to change Dave, but System Restore won't remove "what ever you got"... at least that's my understanding.

But this might have happened to you... not sure... :(

http://www.avast.com/pr-online-ads-put-web-users-at-risk

Some more here, click on the blue links to read more.

http://blog.avast.com/2010/02/18/ads-poisoning-–-jsprontexi/

OCR

So even though the computer's running ok (I fixed the firewall issues and can sign into snapfish and facebook now) whatever attacked it is still lurking inside?
I know that this isn't going to fix it either, but what is the utility called where you set the computer back to a point in time in the past? I've used it before but I can't remember what it's called LOL. I wish I would have used that rather than the restore, wouldn't have lost all my files.

OCR

Occupation
Computer security settings question:

I know that this isn't going to fix it either, but what is the utility called where you set the computer back to a point in time in the past? I've used it before but I can't remember what it's called LOL. I wish I would have used that rather than the restore, wouldn't have lost all my files.
what is the utility called where you set the computer back to a point in time in the past?
That is System Restore, Dave... and it shouldn't have caused any loss of your files... least it isn't supposed to.

Is this what you used?

System Restore screen grab.jpg
Select a Restore Point.jpg

Just a couple screen grabs I took of the System Restore page, with the System Restore Settings open on the right... Pic. 1

Second picture is what you get when you click "next" on the "Welcome to System Restore" page.

Well, at least you got it working, but I wounder what happened to cause "what ever happened", in the first place... cause I don't want it to happen to me... ;)

OCR... :)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
System restore is accessed by clicking start/programs/accessories/system/restore.You then get to choose a date to restore to if you have restore enabled.You may still be able to do that depending on what you did to fix it.Ron G

OCR

Occupation

What RonG said, Dave... and if all else fails, click the Help Icon.

You get this... and a lot of information in there:

System Restore Help Icon.jpg

OCR... :)

PS: Dave, if that's hard to read, zoom out a little... seems to help... a little.

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation

god, the old coot actually sounds like he knows what he is talkn bout..bah ha ha

Yup... fooled ya again grandpa... :tong

And what'd you do... delete your Sig.???

Thought your posts always ended with.....

OCR... :lmao

Ha! Had to stay up late, too... :rolleyes:

Last edited: