1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compressor belt on an OM366

Discussion in 'Generators/Gensets' started by Frankhaddad, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Frankhaddad

Frankhaddad Well-Known Member

Mercedes engine with an air compressor mounted to it, when compressor is activated, belt bounces around violently, not activated, looks okay. have a video on my phone. belts do not last long in this condition. Any ideas would be great. Compressor is true to the other pulleys.

2. MarshallPowerGen

MarshallPowerGen Well-Known Member

Diesel & Generator Mechanic
    Tensioner been replaced? Is the compressor factory, or an add on? All the pulleys been checked for any bearing play or wobble?

3. Frankhaddad

Everything is factory, This model is mounted in a Unimog large vehicle. This compressor is the only component run on this belt from the crank shaft. Adjustments are made at the compressor. Yesterday was the test after extensive work making sure everything was spot on. I have a video on my phone that I could send you. He has had a lot of pros look at it, I have 25 years experience myself, just not on Mercedes. It looks great when the compressor is off but on the belt looks like its going into a death wobble. The belt is also from the manufacturer.

4. MarshallPowerGen

Yeah, I was asking generally to knock out the basics. I'm not familiar with those Mercedes engines, and especially not in Unimogs, and especially when it's an issue with a belt drive compressor in the generator section of the forum.

5. Frankhaddad

I know right! I have a reputation of being the king of funky things up here in Maine. Everything that no one can figure out comes to me. Eventually I will prevail! But this is an odd one. Could I send a vid to your email just to get another set of eyes on it? it shows at the beginning at rest, then the compressor turns on.

6. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Does it smooth out when the RPM is changed? Or happen at idle only? Tried changing the idle RPM either direction?

Old Ford diesel trucks used to have a v-belt that slapped around a good bit to the alternator. They usually ran fine like this, but occasionally would jump off, but not much you could do about it.

MarshallPowerGen likes this.
  7. MarshallPowerGen

I relate to that, having an '86 F350 6.9idi with the slappy alternator belt as a daily driver. You either let it do its thing, or wipe out the alternator bearings if you do ever get it tight enough to roll smooth, haha.

8. Volvomad

Volvomad Well-Known Member

Just because everything is OEM including the belt doesnt make it right . I would try a gates automitive (not industrial ) belt

9. Frankhaddad

I thought of an aftermarket belt, customer is very meticulous, wanted more input, thank you.

10. Frankhaddad

The belt as it turns out is a Gates belt, I was just looking at some of my pictures.

11. Volvomad

Volvomad Well-Known Member

A photo might help . Is it a single A section belt ?

12. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

Is there any chance it is in fact pushing the driven pulley rather than pulling it? Or am I out to lunch here lol

13. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

A compressor has peaks & valleys of resistance. perhaps a less stiff belt would help to smooth the torque and the jumping. Another thought, lower the belt tension to let the rubber elements work.

14. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Late to the party here. Are we talking air compressor or A/C compressor.
    I remember air compressor driving off camshaft on side of engine.