• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

comparing cat and komatsu dozer undercarriage!

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
JBL, where did you see the D6T literature?

And yes, there is a clamp master link option available. (And not suggested for high-impact environments)

JBL

JBL, where did you see the D6T literature?

And yes, there is a clamp master link option available. (And not suggested for high-impact environments)

Cat website

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37840&x=7

We have system one on our D6R XL. I have to say that is performing very good and is exceptional on slopes. I think there is about 1500 hours on the machine.One thing I have noticed though when you bogged down in heavy mud. The rails want to jump over the teeth on the sprockets. I am assuming that the bushings rotate and it just jumps a tooth. I have had this happen a couple times.

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Hi.

I'm new here this is my first post. Don't have the time now. But just wanted to say. I'm not a fan of the hi track design. I will elaborate later. This is a nice looking site.

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Farmboy, I agree with you.

Junior, what you need to do is take a tape measure a pencil and paper to your Cat dealer or a job site that has a big Cat high drive dozer.

You need to draw out all the wheels in the configuration that you see in front of you. And then add the dimensions that you measure. Also notice where the main pivot is for the track frame. The next thing to do is get a brochure on that tractor. One of the things you will want to do is find the ratio between the distance from the center of the pivot to the centers of the front and rear idlers. So when you look at what half the tractive effort is on the spec sheet in low gear you know that it is approximatly what is being pulled on that rear idler in a hard push say its a huge rock, and you have 100% traction and the tracks are not slipping. What is happening is not only is this pull on that idler what causes the wear pattern on the rails, it is also pulling down on the final drive assembly, and up on the rear of the track frame which will tend to lift it. You ask so what? Well not only are these stresses on these items, as well as lifting the rear of the track frame and pivots the front part down, which is probably the reason a guy on here mentioned that a conventional oval dozer ripped better, but these stresses also sap horse power. There is that extra wheel to have to turn. There is like a major tug a war going on between that high final and that track frame.
Now look at the oval type drive on the old D9G and H. If there is a blade mounted and you are pushing, all that force is transmitted to the final support bearings and no tug a war pulling down on the final or frame of the tractor or track frame. The sprocket pulls straight on the track, there is no lifting in the rear and no extra wheel to pull the chain over. But with the newer free planetary finals on the ovals there is pulling and stressing the mainframe. With the dimensions and spec sheet you can calculate the amount of lift up and stress where that track chain rail meets the rear idler,
it amounts to way more per unit loading that at anyother roller that the chain makes contact with. This is why the high drives eat track chain at a faster rate than the ovals do. And may brand loyal ones will argue it.
But like farmboy says, Cat sales really pushed how great the hi drive was, but now they are going back to the ovals. I have always wondered why the D3's never became a hi drive. I think cat sees the goof they did, and how Komatsu and John Deer and others are taking away sales. Just like the old cletracs, someday these hidrives will be museum pieces.

farm_boy

thanks Dozer.....I beginning to think that I was the only one on this site that didn't think the high drive was "all that".

BTW.....Welcome to HEF. Salute!:drinkup