• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compare Cat D3 to D5

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Has anyone had the fortune to operate recent Model D3 and D5 dozers? I was wondering for light to medium land clearing work if the D5 offers significant advantage over the D3 with its extra weight and HP. I have a D3G and it does better then I expected but was thinking if things fall into place, I might move up to a D5G or K model.

da'yoop

I can't help but think if there wasn't a significant difference, they wouldn't make two different models. Why would anyone ever buy a d5 if a d3 would do the same job.
Just my .02 cents...

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
a company I worked for about 3 yrs ago now had a d4g & a d5g, and there was a good bit of difference. 5 didn't weigh much more but it had more balls.

Light to medium land clearing - cleaning up christmas tree stump rows? If your doing small diameter clearing, say 8" minus a d5g might suffice, but its none too big

If your getting into hardwood stumps and larger diameter stuff like in the 16" - 24" stuff I'd be looking at a high 6 size for starters. 20 ton excavator and a 963 are also good things to look at.

a d5g might do it, but it will take longer and you will be operating at max. capacity for alot of the time.

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
good point! I do have my D3G in great shape. If it continues do do a nice job, why should there be a need to change. Thanks.

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
My stuff is pretty small. I am keeping bigger stuff that is of value such as walnut, ork, hickory. I have gotten into some hackberry that is say 10 inches. It does take some time. I get up hill of them and since the ground seems to hold a lot of moisture, when I get the blade as high as possible for leverage, they go down. One thing that I have learned that is contrary to what others have told me, using the corner of the blade is hard on the machine. I now push just in front of the trunion tower. When I have to grub a root or two, I will use the corner bit but I am carefull. It puts a lot of stress on the angle cylinders. Nevertheless, a D6 is more the machine for the job. I work my own land so I can take my time. Commercially, I would not have that luxury. Thanks

john1066

If i was going to buy a small dozer it would be the D5M or D5N they are like having a miniature d8 i think the D3 is useless unless you are spreading processed material

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Your right, your land, your time & machine, who cares how fast it gets done... to a point.

Example- A guy in town decided he wanted an addition to his house. This required digging down and extending his basement by 12' x 24' x 5'. Guy rents a mini excavator from the local hardware for $600.00 plus tax a week. Its a wee little bobcat with a bunch of hours. It takes him about 2 days to dig this all out and make a big pile in his yard, which he intends to rent a skid loader and move around. I'd have came over, dug the hole & spread or hauled the material away for the same $$, and would have been a short day for me. Sometimes it pays to bring in the right equipment, even when you have your own.

Oh, and for ripping small trees out, try an excavator w/ thumb, even a small 8-10 ton, on those little 10" stuff you will be suprised at how fast it goes.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
One thing that I have learned that is contrary to what others have told me, using the corner of the blade is hard on the machine. I now push just in front of the trunion tower. When I have to grub a root or two, I will use the corner bit but I am carefull. It puts a lot of stress on the angle cylinders.

You are correct. Whoever told you that side loading a 6 way is not stressful doesn't know what they are talking about. Side loading a 6 way on a stump or rock puts a lot of stress on the blade and associated parts.

There is a considerable amount of difference between a D3G and D5G. I have a D5G XL and it's a tough little dozer, good on fuel. My choice for clearing work is my 953C though since I don't have an excavator. If you are thinking of trading up, there are some nice 953C's out there that are going around the same price as a comparable (year and hours) D5G. A track loader is a great all around machine that can accomplish many tasks.

D6c10K

I am keeping bigger stuff that is of value such as walnut, ork, hickory. I have gotten into some hackberry that is say 10 inches. It does take some time

Off subject, but personally I'd keep the hackberry...nice trees even if not worth $....just my 2 cents.

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Thanks. All the responses have been helpful. Question. How stable is the 953C on hillsides in comparison to the small dozers?

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Hey D6c10k, I agree on the hackberry. I am saving the straight ones. I guess what I really meant to say on the hackberry is that they are tough. Not just from a root point of view but also the wood. They are also very healthy where I am located especially in consideration of the diseases that have been hitting elms, oaks and now ash in our area. Thanks.

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
I have spent 2 years on a D3G, now on a D5G they are alot better seem to have better guts we going to make the blade wider very hard to hold dirt for a 50m push I hate those papt blades & fixed track frames It performs well use's about 120L of fuel in a 10 hr day I prefure the hydro drive, steering as to finger tip steering in a 5m, diff steer is the best I have about 1M cubic meters of crush rock/dirt to push so will on it for a while I use it because it's light & 100 hp to cap in a 120 acre sluge pond. Cheers

ih100

Thanks. All the responses have been helpful. Question. How stable is the 953C on hillsides in comparison to the small dozers?

A lot more stable than many people believe, though not quite as good as a small dozer. Pretty close, though, as long as the bucket is low.