• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compact wheel loader Vs Skid Steer

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Cool vid …… When are you getting your's ….. then you can give us the real honest opinion …lol …. Cheers

lumberjack

I like my wheel loaders! I put 260 hours on a Gehl AL340, now I have 98 hours on the AL540. My climber has a AL140 with dual tires all around. I mainly do tree work, but we also do dirt work, some demo, site prep, etc. I have a thread going here regarding the AL loaders and my involvement with them. I presume it would be against the rules to link to that thread here?

Visibility all around is excellent, especially to the rear as compared to a skid steer. A skid steer can see the cutting edge better than a wheel loader however.

Fuel consumption is superior due in part to the engine rpm being controlled primarily by the foot pedal for acceleration instead of "set it and forget it" on a skid steer. The 340 and 540 have throttle locks to set the engine rpm higher without affecting travel speed, for running an auger, for example.

The biggest wheeled skids do have a higher lift height. The 540 has 10' to the pin while a wheeled machine could have up to 12'. Granted the 540 is a 2500lb ROC machine and that 12' lift machine is 4000lb ROC.

The 540 is also only 54" wide, which allows getting in narrower places as compared to a skid, however they aren't as stable as a skid due to the narrowness and the center pivot oscillation.

The Kubota wheel loader has 10" more lift height, and is considerable wider as well as a 2k+lbs heavier than the 540 while being nearly identical in other performance categories. It's better for loading over the side of a tandem truck without a high dump bucket.

My theory on my next, next purchase is a large CTL. I haven't found a need that a skid steer would justify itself in addition to a wheel loader. A CTL can out lift and out push either by a wide margin. Also they can handle any high flow needs I may develop. Right now the Kubota SLV90, Bobcat T770-870, and the Takeuchi TL12 are the top contenders for a CTL for me. It's still a year or two out at least though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367503437.113154.jpg

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Cool vid …… When are you getting your's ….. then you can give us the real honest opinion …lol …. Cheers

LOL! I really like running them, I have rented them every so often, they are comfortable to run. Just don't know if I can justify owning one. Still, pretty cool piece of gear in the right application.

RCTech9

In the video they were talking about tire wear. I would think that a all wheel steer skid steer would be very similar to a compact wheel loader.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I agree that tire wear would likely be similar, but the durability and simplicity favors the compact wheel loader by a large margin in my opinion.

ctkiteboarding

just bought a case 321d for topsoil screening and misc loading work, im kinda concerned it will be small but the deal was sweet and im hoping it will be surprisingly productive. it arrives this week ,pics and report to follow.

ctkiteboarding

ran it for abit today, seem to be nimble , maybe short on power but its only a 13k machine and spinning tires isnt the goal. needs a service and a bath so ill be busy after work. more to come....IMG_2680.jpg

ctkiteboarding

Short on power regarding tractive effort?

no, it was fine digging into a topsoil pile or tailings,,, just seemed to be always heavy on the throttle to get it to work, that said it did fill the bucket easily enough without alot of tire spin but it takes all she has unlike some larger units where you can control the power. i spent about an hour running some soil so some seat time is needed but it seems to be a nice little loader.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The compact wheel loaders suffer in the center hitch pins. I have yet to see one run 5,000 hours without needing a weld, bore and new pins and bushings. They are built light and won't take the kind of abuse that larger machines take but young operator's seem to always try to emulate the older operators on bigger machines.

Keeping coolers clean is also a pain. All that I have looked at had bleeding hoses and couplers that appeared to have been thoroughly cooked by hot oil. Once the oily dirt gets in the cooler fins they are really hard to clean out.

I think the skid steers are a tougher machine is bad applications. The small wheel loaders are far more comfortable to run.

ctkiteboarding

report.... nice little loader, after i got used to it i was able to really move some dirt , had to move about 200yds of fill and load a few trucks, it runs pretty well and got the job done with ease but it is a small loader so id say its about the same as my 580 but the maneuverability is much better. setting up to screen about 600 yards of soil on a house next week (weather permitting).

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Honestly there is jobs for both of them and i think there will always be a market for them as here is a lot of site that mini loader just can work compared to a skid loader just for the turning radius of the machine. the tyre wear well that has a lot to do with what type of ground you are working on them guys are running around on concrete so i think that can be compared to some one running around on dirt.

we build the mini wheel loaders and i have to agree with John C that when you get operators on them who have only ever used bigger machines or have no clue it can lead to issues.

lndscpe

Occupation
Landscape Business owner
We have a compact wheel loader, JohnDeere 244J, A 3.5yd Doosan DL250 and a Bobcat S250. Ya know I wouldn't be without any of them but each has a niche they fill. We all like the Doosan & Deere 244J for snow work, comfort and its visibility is great! The skid though is great in really tight plowing areas and works great for tree, yard install's and other landscape needs. So,hmmm, if I had to choose ONLY one, a compact loader or Skid.....I'd find a way to use that compact loader to do all my work.

512high

landscpe, is your 244j a "2010"? I think I saw your videos on youtube if thats your company..i just purchased a 2011 for snow removal only, just wondering if you can give me any tips on maintenance, the good the bad, things to look out for etc. Thanks ahead of time..

lndscpe

Occupation
Landscape Business owner
landscpe, is your 244j a "2010"? I think I saw your videos on youtube if thats your company..i just purchased a 2011 for snow removal only, just wondering if you can give me any tips on maintenance, the good the bad, things to look out for etc. Thanks ahead of time..

Yep, mine is a 2010. I have it and a few of my other equipment posted on youtube, we run Arctic Sectional plows, My name is painted on the front moldboards. I /we really like it for plowing! its great for that plus many other jobs we use it for. Sips fuel like a briggs and stratton push mower, keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. As for maintenance we are very tight on greasing schedules and cleanliness,like my Large Doosan loader, waxed twice a year, wash in between jobs where possible, and religious oil and filter changes. We check the oil every fuel up and perform simple look overs before each work day. All in all, its just basic maintenance work. Our 244J is a great little loader and we really like having it around! Problem lately is the costs to buy these new is ridiculous anymore!

Last edited:

512high

Yep, mine is a 2010. I have it and a few of my other equipment posted on youtube, we run Arctic Sectional plows, My name is painted on the front moldboards. I /we really like it for plowing! its great for that plus many other jobs we use it for. Sips fuel like a briggs and stratton push mower, keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. As for maintenance we are very tight on greasing schedules and cleanliness,like my Large Doosan loader, waxed twice a year, wash in between jobs where possible, and religious oil and filter changes. We check the oil every fuel up and perform simple look overs before each work day. All in all, its just basic maintenance work. Our 244J is a great little loader and we really like having it around! Problem lately is the costs to buy these new is ridiculous anymore!

*Thanks for the reply! Yes this and all our equipment is washed and waxed! The interior is clean as well, in fact the new 1.4 cu yard bucket, had scraches from the crate straps etc....yup had to paint over!