• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Colder than a...

Dave Neubert

I looked at the 55G parts and it shows a oil cooler element someone might of cobbeled that up you need a oil cooler element in there especially if it is turboed. number 12 is the cooler where you have the tube

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 10

LCA078

Done by someone with experience cast aluminum is generally a successful weld repair using Tig. Transmission cases and oil pans are commonly welded.

One trick I've done with our TIG welder is just fuse the parts together by melting the material already there (ie- not using any filler rod). Work great on cracks like this in aluminum or cast iron where there is low/no pressure. I learned that from a professional TIG welder who built scientific vacuum chambers- amazing work. Point is, you sometimes you have to tell the welder this because some welder's only use TIG as the exception and aren't very knowledgeable in that area.

But for $95 bucks for a used part- that's definitely the route to go here.

It was definitely cold here last week and I hope I don't have any damage either. Will take extra precaution when starting up the old iron.

Hope you get your machine running.

Dave Neubert

Howards Enterprises shows a cooler element in a 550G too 69.00 they are good quality been using them for 20 years don't know if they sell to public if not I can get it for you

Dave Neubert

Howards Enterprises shows one in a 550G too 69.00 good quality been using them for 20 years I can get you it if they don't sell to public

Attachments

• K3957543-original.jpg
    K3957543-original.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 11

ETMF 58 White

Everyone reading this thread should, right now, go to the parts store or a truck dealer and buy several cases of 50/50 premix coolant, preferably Cat EC-1 equivalent. Then, give away any jugs of full strength antifreeze so you’ll never be tempted to add water to a radiator again. You don’t even know the pH or mineral content of that water you’re adding anyway. Now, put those cases of 50/50 in your shop, in your service truck, and somewhere on your fuel truck or fuel wagon. Put individual gallon jugs anywhere you can find a tool box or hidey-hole on every piece of equipment you have, and in your big truck. And tell everyone that works for you that they will get their axx kicked up between their shoulder blades if you ever see them putting water in a radiator. And sleep good every winter night from now on because you don’t have to worry about how cold it’s going to get.

Old Sarge

Occupation
Retired, for the 3rd time.
Well, I don't drink bottled water, either. And somehow, I suspect folks might find my "axx" a little harder to kick than average.

Old Sarge

Occupation
Retired, for the 3rd time.
Well, strange looking "oil cooler" head or not, when I put it back in, leak slowed down (I didn't replace the gasket, was just testing) but now I have oil in the radiator. No water in the oil pan, oil level hasn't changed, no "milky" looking oil, just scum about 1/2 in thick in the radiator. I don't know why I thought I could re-use the oil cooler, if the housing cracked, I would figure it would go first, but I didn't see any cracks. Mistake. Ordered another oil cooler, and all gaskets. (Thanks for the suggestion, Dave, found a used one at the same place I got the housing, for about that same price. So I'm still into it only $160, plus new gaskets (which cost almost as much as the oil cooler). It ran fine with the replaced housing, with no smoke, had a little seepage around gasket where I kind of expected it, near the top where the gasket looked kind of "iffy". The oil pressure normalized when it warmed up, just like it always does, hope it's just the oil cooler, and not a crack in the block where the oil pressure is high and the water pressure is low, but I'm not ruling that out. So if I can get it fixed with this, and a "flush" to get the oil out of the cooling system, maybe I dodged a bullet. At least I can get it running enough to put it on a trailer and move it to my new place, 200 miles from here, where, if I need to, I'll replace the engine (short block, I hope). I always knew retirement would be restful. I can't complain, I have so much to do, I go right to sleep when I get a chance.