• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cold weather gelling. WARNING!

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
The jigs up guys.

We have done multiple tests across the country and we are seeing the pour points and cfpp's come in with a huge variance in fuels gelling temperatures. Some fuels are completely non responsive to anti-gels. Ulsd has brought a huge variable to the table. Additionally the shortage of #1 fuel adds to the problem.

If you have bulk tanks, now is the time to test for water in the tank. My otr guys are complaining about the vast amount of water they are getting on the road. This can only lead to problems. This is in addition to the lubricity and anti-oxidants being substantially lower with the new fuel.

I would suggest double treating when the severe cold hits and by all means avoid any additives that are alcohol based.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
One other thing. Although off road does not require ulsd yet a lot of fuel suppliers are delivering ulsd insted of the 500ppm for off road. ASK.

clansing1

Winter fuel additives

Sales Rep,

What do you recommend for an anti-gelling additive? We use a Diesel Fuel Supplement from Power Service.

What do you recommend to prevent fuel line freeze up? Would a isopropyl additive.

We start using a 50/50 blend of #1 & #2 when the weather starts to get below freezing.

Thanks in advance.

HeyUvaVT

at the risk of sounding ignorant what is #1 and #2 different cetane ratings? sulfur content? :beatsme

thejdman04

its the "refinement" of the fuel, it is at which temp the fuel gels, we have had tons of problems around here

surfer-joe

Blending #2 diesel with #1 or kerosene or even Jet-A is really the easiest and best way to go to avoid gelling and problems. However, as salesrep has already explained, the time to start your bulk fuel tank and vehicle fuel winter maintenance was about two months ago here in the states.

It's certainly not to late now, but you likely are already having trouble if you didn't prepare. I'm hearing that bio-diesel is causing a lot of trouble as there are many more suppliers and many more types of raw feed materials being used, some which don't take kindly to extreme cold temperatures. Best leave bio-fuel for summer use.

If you haven't done so, drain the water and sediment out of your bulk tanks. Change the filter on your bulk tanks. (you do have a filter on them don't you?) If you use a fuel tanker, change the filters on the fuel delivery system on that too. Clean out the primary fuel screens on all your equipment that have them. Some machines have a very small screen in the banjo head hose fitting right at the injector pump. Don't forget those.

If you have had fuel in your vehicles for a while, drain the crud out and dump a couple of cans of fuel treatment into the tank, change all the filters, then burn the load out as soon as you can.

I am not a fan of continued use of fuel treatment, it's expensive, but do like to use it to treat old fuel that has been sitting for a while. If you are in a region that is experiencing a prolonged cold spell, 10-15 down to twenty five below, use #1 or kerosene only. It will save you money in the long run, unless you are very confident in your maintenance and have experience in running #2 in very cold weather.

Good Luck!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Last year while working in Mt on a ski hill we hit lows minus 42 degrees. Unbelievably nothing gelled up. The clear diesel was blended at the pump and I added Amsoil Antigel as an additional precaution. The red diesel was straight 2 treated with the antigel and it worked very well. I kept waiting for everything to grind to a halt. Never did.

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
More reasons we are seeing more filter plugging this year!

Greetings forum members,

Good seasonal topic here. Diesel fuel quality is at an all time low I think we would all agree. I have received calls from several folks regarding filter plugging due to the wax crystals in the fuel. In these cases I recommend changing the fuel filter and adding some of the AMSOIL cold flow improver. I have a school district that had nine buses on the road last winter running the AMSOIL cold flow improver, and never had any problems with the fuel gelling or filters plugging. They had some -35 degree F. days and nights on the road. They buy their fuel from the local CO-OP, so assume it is a blend, but don't know what ratio.

This winter they have had no issues, nor have any of my other customers. The folks that came in with plugged filters are now using the AMSOIL cold flow improver or the new diesel concentrate with cold flow improver. All are satisfied thus far.

I'll attach some literature and educational materials over the weekend here to explain the clouding points of fuels and how the waxing is the cause of most of our problems.

One other thing to keep in mind that has changed in recent years that is causing more filter plugging issue is the fuel filter micron rating itself. Years ago a diesel engine fuel filter would be in the 20 to 30-micron range. As injector technology changed, and higher pressure fuel systems, so did the micron rating of the fuel filters. The new C7 Caterpillar engines in the school buses have a secondary fuel filter rated at 3-microns. The new GM Duramax engines have a 4-micron filter. This is just another reason we are seeing more and more fuel filter plugging (gelling) issues that ever before.

And yes, water in the fuel is an increasing problem. Most of the new diesel have a fuel system design that returns large amounts of warm fuel to the tank when the engine is running. This warm fuel can raise the tank temperatures to temperatures as high as 140 degrees in the summer months if you run your fuel tanks low (below a quarter tank). I've seen this first hand and have had a similar conversation with our Caterpillar dealership. He said this is common on vehicles that he gets in his shop with low fuel tanks. What this warm fuel causes is as the tank and fuel cool down when the engines are off, is they begin to draw moist air from the outside atmosphere into the tank. This moist air cools and condenses inside the tank, and now you have a water problem. This water problem can also lead to biological activity and growth in the tank as well.

AMSOIL uses a jet-fuel de-icer in the cold flow improver to help combat the ice crystals that develop in the fuel. This jet fuel de-icer is alcohol free. Alcohol is not the best thing for a diesel fuel system, as it tends to decrease the lubricity in the fuel and dries out the pump and seals. Over time leading to premature pump and injector failures.

Folks ask me about the products that thaw gelled fuel systems like the Power Service 911. From what I've read on the Power Service web site, their product does contain alcohol. They claim it is a type of alcohol approved by the OEM equipment manufactures and is safe for all diesel equipment. AMSOIL just released a new product this year call Diesel Recovery. Again, AMSOIL has developed a product that is alcohol free. I just received some in for those folks that have a problem, so I haven't used or sold any yet. If it performs as well as all the other AMSOIL products, I'm confident it will be a real hit with the diesel folks out there. I'll attach a copy of the product data sheet on it as well if I can get it uploaded here.

In closing tonight the best advise I can give is to consider changing your fuel filters on the newer engine more often during cold weather due to the lower micron rating. Run a high quality cold flow improver if you are not currently. If you have a drain valve on the bottom of your fuel tanks, check them when the weather is warm for free water in the tanks. It's best to check them after the vehicle has sat overnight to allow for maximum separation. And add your fuel treatment when fueling as the fuel from below ground tanks is typically above the clouding point and will allow for the best performance of your cold flow improver's.

Good luck and stay warm.

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
Greetings Forum Members,

The snow and ice have us stuck in the house for a while tonight, so I scanned in some the product data sheets I promised. Also, below are some links to the AMSOIL store for more product information and pricing:

The link for the new "AMSOIL Diesel Recovery" product
http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1378438&page=storefront/drc

The link for the new "AMSOIL Cold Flow Improver" product
http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1378438&page=storefront/acf

The link for the new "AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate plus Cold Flow Improver"
http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1378438&page=storefront/dfc

Attachments

• AMSOIL Diesel Recovery Page 1.jpg
    AMSOIL Diesel Recovery Page 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 544
  • AMSOIL Diesel Recovery Page 2.jpg
    AMSOIL Diesel Recovery Page 2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 549
  • AMSOIL cold flow improver.jpg
    AMSOIL cold flow improver.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 551
  • AMSOIL Diesel concentrate with cold flow page 1.jpg
    AMSOIL Diesel concentrate with cold flow page 1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 550
  • AMSOIL Diesel concentrate with cold flow page 2.jpg
    AMSOIL Diesel concentrate with cold flow page 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 540

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
More Techinical Information on Fuel Clouding

Folks here's some more information on fuel clouding and icing.

As the temperature drops, the wax naturally found in diesel fuel begins to form crystals. The point at which wax crystals form is known as the cloud point. These wax crystals eventually clog the fuel filter and starve the engine of fuel, preventing it from starting. While low quality fuels may form wax crystals in temperatures as warm as 40°F (4°C), most fuels have a cloud point near 32°F (0°C). The point at which the wax crystals clog the fuel filter is known as the cold filter-plugging point (CFPP). AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate Plus Cold Flow Improver lowers the CFPP by as much as 34°F (19°C) in ULSD.

It also reduces the pour-point temperature of treated diesel fuel, providing better fuel delivery to the injectors during cold weather. It is formulated with a jet-fuel-type deicer that disperses water to control ice formation in all sections of the fuel system. Diesel Concentrate Plus Cold Flow Improver minimizes the need for the use of #1 diesel fuel, enabling better fuel economy, performance and lubricity.

POUR POINT VS. CFPP
It is important to distinguish between CFPP and pour point. Many competitors make great claims regarding pour point, leading consumers to believe their products are superior when they actually have an inferior CFPP. Once fuel surpasses its cloud point, the wax crystals begin to clog the fuel filter. The CFPP temperature is a more important characteristic than pour point because the engine will not run if fuel cannot pass through the fuel filter.

REDUCED NEED FOR #1 DIESEL FUEL
One traditional solution to cold weather problems in diesel engines is the use of #1 diesel fuel, which is diesel fuel diluted with kerosene. While #1 diesel fuel has an advantage in low-temperature operability, there are also several disadvantages. The energy content of #1 diesel fuel is about 95 percent of that of #2 diesel fuel, resulting in reduced fuel economy and less horsepower. In addition, the kerosene used in #1 diesel fuel provides less lubrication for the fuel pump and fuel distributor, increasing the likelihood for wear on these critical components. AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate Plus Cold Flow Improver minimizes the need for blending standard #2 diesel fuel with lower-quality #1 diesel fuel, helping to maintain fuel economy and keep engines functioning normally.

Blaster

I hadn't paid attention to where I got fuel in the wnter till a few years back I had trouble in cold weather.A mechanic close to the farm put a cup of diesel from 2 different suppliers on a bench overnight. In the morning ine was liquid and the other was a gel near solid perhaps.

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
To Gel or not to Gel; that's a question we'll all be wondering about.

Yes, this is going to be a major issue. SalesRep is correct, as I have seen cloud points all over the place this winter. There is no consistency from load-to-load from the suppliers. One load will run 13 degrees F and the next 40 degrees F. then one down to -11 degrees F.

I think the worst is yet to come this coming winter if things don't change. I had calls from customers running about every cold flow product out there. No one is immune to the problem.

The success stories had by two of my customers was with the new AMSOIL Diesel Recovery product. It will cut the wax off the filters and get you back on the road. If the machine is running simply dump it into the fuel tank and give it some time to work it's way to the filter and clear the waxing.

One guy was waxed up and down to 30-mph. He added a bottle to his pickup and was back on the road in 5-minutes. The other guy was waxed up and only able to get 500-RPM out of the engine. It took 20-minutes to clear the filter and get him back on the road. He said that beat changing the filter along side the highway at -35 degrees F. in his good Sunday going to church clothes.

The product is safe to use in every tank and when the temps get down to -15 degrees I'm recommending my customers have a bottom handy and dump it in at the first sign of trouble. You can run it in every tank instead of a cold flow treatment when the temperature drops. Just food for thought.

With today's 90-degree temp, fuel gelling seems a ways away.

Thanks, John