• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Coast Logger

VI TL

Info. The heli pics were from an operation between Tahsis Inlet and Tlupana Inlet on the west side of Vancouver Island. The Model 6 and new Mack truck ( Husby truck) and the old shovel and 245 were from Rennell Sound Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) and the bridge was from Naden Harbour (Davidson Creek Div.) also Haida Gwaii

Blocker in MS

Ger-nade, or gerrr-nade is how it is pronounced here anyway:)

Used to be a National Guard? wing of sky cranes just south of I-20 in Meridian, MS until they got decommissioned. I think that is right. Maybe someone knows if the military has any sky cranes anymore. Anyways, the sky cranes left and they have had Chinooks for maybe ten years now.

I still want to know why they are hauling wood this way. That still has me stumped.

.....oh look! I made a pun or something!

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
They still harvest christmas trees that way in some areas...although they do'nt use a skycrane ;) use little cheap choppers.. if there is such a thing!!! all comes down to how much wood can you move in an hour and how much road building(if at all possible) wood ;) it take plus all the other mech stuff... hi lines, shovels, skidders,etc...

petepilot

They still harvest christmas trees that way in some areas...although they do'nt use a skycrane ;) use little cheap choppers.. if there is such a thing!!! all comes down to how much wood can you move in an hour and how much road building(if at all possible) wood ;) it take plus all the other mech stuff... hi lines, shovels, skidders,etc...
fwiw. I was told a few years ago by some folks from up in that part of the world that choppering logs out was the only way to get them out. because they simply would not allow road building into those areas and would not allow skidding either

VI TL

Reason for heli-logging- cost of roads to access timber; small isolated areas of high value timber and also has been used around streams to lessen harm to area. The big choppers can move high volumes per day.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
My dad knew somebody who was allowed to ride on one during a logging operation. He said it was all right until they dumped the first load on the landing at which point the birds shoots straight upwards because the power is still on but the load is not. The passenger turned straight green as they quickly dove away for another turn, and of course was not allowed to disembark until the fuel ran low because time is money. He would not do that again.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Another factor for Heli Logging is market driven . If the cutting permits are in place and the market is rising for a high grade specie , that product can be harvested quicker by Heli Logging before the market falls . Than to build a road and yard by conventional logging methods .

JPV

My buddy told me a story about when he was in BC working on the helicopter and they did something to the engine that needed to be tested. He got in the lower rear facing cockpit with his instruments and off they went. Once he verified all was well he said he was ready to go back. The pilot said he would have to wait until they needed fuel. He tried to ride it out but when he told them they would have a real mess to clean up back there if they kept logging they took him back right away!

Blocker in MS

I can imagine that would be a ride. What sort of payload are things dropping? I have a couple crop dusting friends. They described the fire runs out west as being similar. You gain a bunch of lift all of the sudden when let all the water out.

Helicopter logging would have to be a fascinating operation to behold! The only thing close that we get to see like that is the little Jet Rangers that spray trees.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I can imagine that would be a ride. What sort of payload are things dropping? I have a couple crop dusting friends. They described the fire runs out west as being similar. You gain a bunch of lift all of the sudden when let all the water out.

Helicopter logging would have to be a fascinating operation to behold! The only thing close that we get to see like that is the little Jet Rangers that spray trees.
The Air Cranes are lifting some wheres about 22,000 pounds .

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Well if it's generating 20,000 pounds of lift more than the 20,000 pounds the aircraft weighs and you get rid of half the weight I suspect that additional 20,000 pounds of lift is gonna yank you a bit :)

VI TL

Have a few more heli pics later. Here are a couple of truck pictures from Rennell Sound. Some pictures are of degraded quality from age and moving.

Attachments

• PICT0775.jpg
    PICT0775.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 139
  • PICT0776.jpg
    PICT0776.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 137
  • PICT0777.jpg
    PICT0777.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 136
  • PICT0778.jpg
    PICT0778.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 136

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Mack and Model 6
Great pictures, when were they taken? I did not know this was the color scheme for Husbys trucks. I have only seen Husby trucks painted yellow and top of hood was green. At Hanks truck web site - sadly closed now - there was a picture of two Mack CL350 ST with same color configuration as posted pictures.

VI TL

Great pictures, when were they taken? I did not know this was the color scheme for Husbys trucks. I have only seen Husby trucks painted yellow and top of hood was green. At Hanks truck web site - sadly closed now - there was a picture of two Mack CL350 ST with same color configuration as posted pictures.

I don't remember the exact year. The model 6 and truck probably 1980 or 81. The truck on the bridge 1983 or 84.

VI TL

Husby Mack with 152m3 of logs at Rennell Sound, late 70's early 80's. I had a shot from the front but can't find it, more impressive picture. In the past Husby used a picture of this load from the front in his ads and promotion material. After finding this picture I believe that the picture with the model 6 and new Husby truck was probably 78 or 79, possibly 80.

Attachments

• Large Log Load Rennell Sound.jpg
    Large Log Load Rennell Sound.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 83

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
I don't remember the exact year. The model 6 and truck probably 1980 or 81. The truck on the bridge 1983 or 84.
Thank you for info. Husby got their 7 units in 1978-79. I wonder how many Husby has left now?

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Ger-nade, or gerrr-nade is how it is pronounced here anyway:)

Used to be a National Guard? wing of sky cranes just south of I-20 in Meridian, MS until they got decommissioned. I think that is right. Maybe someone knows if the military has any sky cranes anymore. Anyways, the sky cranes left and they have had Chinooks for maybe ten years now.

I still want to know why they are hauling wood this way. That still has me stumped.

.....oh look! I made a pun or something!

All CH-54 Sky Cranes were transferred about 1979 or 80 from the active Army to the Army National Guard. Alabama and, I think, Mississippi, got the "B" models (easy to distinguish as the "B's" had two wheels on each of the two landing gear and the "A" only one on each). Fifty-four "A" models built and, I think, 29 "B" models. If memory serves, the "A" had a max gross of 42k lbs and the "B" about 44,000 lbs. I do remember that with full tanks of fuel that we could only lift a load of about 9,000 lb, but then we burned about 500 gallons of JP-4 per hour, so sometimes we'd just fly around until we got light enough to carry our assigned load. When the CH-47 Chinooks were retrofitted to "D" models and allocated the Guard, the Cranes were given to the U.S.Army's Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker, AL, which then traded them, wherever they were, for museum "stuff." They went to various users, including Evergreen, and an Italian firm. We had one that we'd never flown (brought from Ft. Eustus by barge and sling loaded from the dock on the Savannah River to Hunter) as we had no records for it, that was fighting fires in Italy at last report. Treated with respect, this was a very forgiving aircraft.